+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 159

Thread: So You Wanna Feel Useful... The Dominator Guide.

  1. #61
    Telaran Mistafish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Posts
    63

    Default

    @ Slaave

    Your notes on the class are awesome. I am really visual, could you please show some mock builds using a soul calc?

    Here are 2 different calcs for you to link with depending on which you prefer:
    http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl
    http://rift-planner.com/

  2. #62
    Rift Disciple Slaave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistafish View Post
    @ Slaave

    Your notes on the class are awesome. I am really visual, could you please show some mock builds using a soul calc?

    Here are 2 different calcs for you to link with depending on which you prefer:
    http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl
    http://rift-planner.com/
    Sure! Here's Dom/SC/Ele Build Using the Recharge and snares from SC and Ele for extra DPS via Tempest (+50% crit damage) Biting Cold (+5% crit chance) And the ever popular Lightning Strike.

    And here's a Dom/Pyro/Arch build focusing on using Pyro Spike damage in conjunction with Dom's Control spells with a splash of Archon for Debuffing During Trans and Increasing Fire damage.

  3. #63
    Rift Chaser RadioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    366

    Default

    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...16,5_&lang=eng

    This is my decided upon Dom spec, the 3rd soul seems mostly trivial. I am slightly more solo-minded however, so it may have more survivability than some prefer
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.

  4. #64
    Rift Master Izkimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Don't necessarily need the mana regen from lock. Here's my ultimate trans/spike dmg build for Dom with a little reduction in survivability.
    http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...18,5_&lang=eng

    Actually, looking at it there is a way to spike the dmg some more, but you would really cut into some cc utility from the Pyro/Dom souls in order to get proc crit and cd crit from Archmage, but I'd rather just stick with the 5 points. Notice dom gets a charge consuming mana regen ability on top of mana wrench, and that is if you modify Overpowering Will by putting points into Iron Will. Overpowering Will is already an oh crap situation type of move for the most part, and you can severely regen mana while using this to survive. It can also be used to do some extra commanding CC. If you roll Guardian and work your mana wrench into a good rotation, and use this timed well with an Elf racial you should be able to maintain mana just fine. What else do you get? Well you get good added Pyro CC, a counter CC in the form of an immobilization breaking teleport, and the added anti CC from the ArchMage tree. What else does this offer? A 14 point Cinder Burst that does a base 126 to 130 dmg, "Remember these soul builders don't factor in level." Add in your training along with your lvl, add in your Int which Dom adds 10%. Also, add in the ArchMage 25% spell dmg. An increased 15% crit from Pyro, and don't forget to throw in your trans rotation subtracting 50% cast time and adding 50% dmg. Now, you also have to factor in a 15% reduced fireball and Cinder Burst from Pyro, you're looking at a sort of useless big hitting 6 second cast that doesn't seem to give as much return as you would like for it's big casting time reduced to 2.9 seconds and with insanely added dmg. Can you say boom? And wait, I almost forgot the 24% increased fire dmg at the cost of 15% health added in Pyro.
    Okay, you say wait a minute, I don't like losing 15% health which isn't too much factoring in buffs and if you have heals. You still say that seems a bit too much of a cost for added dmg, and you also think the mana efficiency isn't there. Remove the 3 points in Burning Bright, and toss them into Improved Grounding. Now, throw down a ground effect which you should be doing at times anyways, and now what do you get? A 100% increase in mana regen, along with a Dom 250% increase in mana regen with Iron Will, usage of Mana Wrench, and if you just so happen to be a Guardian Elf you have your mana regen racial. I like what I see so far, my main will prob be a Cleric, but I am going to try and lvl. a mage along with him

    Edit: It should also be noted that the builds I am creating are from a pure PvP standpoint.
    Last edited by Izkimar; 01-16-2011 at 07:03 PM.

  5. #65
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Izkimar View Post
    Don't necessarily need the mana regen from lock. Here's my ultimate trans/spike dmg build for Dom with a little reduction in survivability.
    http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...18,5_&lang=eng

    Actually, looking at it there is a way to spike the dmg some more, but you would really cut into some cc utility from the Pyro/Dom souls in order to get proc crit and cd crit from Archmage, but I'd rather just stick with the 5 points. Notice dom gets a charge consuming mana regen ability on top of mana wrench, and that is if you modify Overpowering Will by putting points into Iron Will. Overpowering Will is already an oh crap situation type of move for the most part, and you can severely regen mana while using this to survive. It can also be used to do some extra commanding CC. If you roll Guardian and work your mana wrench into a good rotation, and use this timed well with an Elf racial you should be able to maintain mana just fine. What else do you get? Well you get good added Pyro CC, a counter CC in the form of an immobilization breaking teleport, and the added anti CC from the ArchMage tree. What else does this offer? A 14 point Cinder Burst that does a base 126 to 130 dmg, "Remember these soul builders don't factor in level." Add in your training along with your lvl, add in your Int which Dom adds 10%. Also, add in the ArchMage 25% spell dmg. An increased 15% crit from Pyro, and don't forget to throw in your trans rotation subtracting 50% cast time and adding 50% dmg. Now, you also have to factor in a 15% reduced fireball and Cinder Burst from Pyro, you're looking at a sort of useless big hitting 6 second cast that doesn't seem to give as much return as you would like for it's big casting time reduced to 2.9 seconds and with insanely added dmg. Can you say boom? And wait, I almost forgot the 24% increased fire dmg at the cost of 15% health added in Pyro.
    Okay, you say wait a minute, I don't like losing 15% health which isn't too much factoring in buffs and if you have heals. You still say that seems a bit too much of a cost for added dmg, and you also think the mana efficiency isn't there. Remove the 3 points in Burning Bright, and toss them into Improved Grounding. Now, throw down a ground effect which you should be doing at times anyways, and now what do you get? A 100% increase in mana regen, along with a Dom 250% increase in mana regen with Iron Will, usage of Mana Wrench, and if you just so happen to be a Guardian Elf you have your mana regen racial. I like what I see so far, my main will prob be a Cleric, but I am going to try and lvl. a mage along with him

    Edit: It should also be noted that the builds I am creating are from a pure PvP standpoint.
    Looks good, I'd personally move 1 point from dom and all points from PvP to pyro for the second 5s stun. Flashfire really only ccs you for half a second when you consider the 1.5s GCD.

    http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...nts=0&lang=eng

    like that
    Last edited by Stimuz; 01-16-2011 at 08:28 PM.

  6. #66
    Rift Master Izkimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    Looks good, I'd personally move 1 point from dom and all points from PvP to pyro for the second 5s stun. Flashfire really only ccs you for half a second when you consider the 1.5s GCD.

    http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...nts=0&lang=eng

    like that
    By doing this you lose a good bit of utility from the Dom tree plus your main sources of mana regen which will then lead to you losing dps. You also trade a passive gain of 25% dmg for a hope that you get a 10% proc in reducing your Cinderburst cast. Also, the main point of this build is to use the nukability of Pyro along with the Utility of Dom. It isn't to be a build that gets the most of Pyro. I don't think that applying one point in Smoldering Charge is a good management of points, you don't need the Improved Firebolt or Wildfire. Also, the Pyro's Armor could prove useful, but if it isn't worth losing points in Dom that will help your survival. There are other things I would change in the Dom tree as well, but that's the Rift Class system for you. We all have our own ways of managing things.

  7. #67
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Izkimar View Post
    By doing this you lose a good bit of utility from the Dom tree plus your main sources of mana regen which will then lead to you losing dps. You also trade a passive gain of 25% dmg for a hope that you get a 10% proc in reducing your Cinderburst cast. Also, the main point of this build is to use the nukability of Pyro along with the Utility of Dom. It isn't to be a build that gets the most of Pyro. I don't think that applying one point in Smoldering Charge is a good management of points, you don't need the Improved Firebolt or Wildfire. Also, the Pyro's Armor could prove useful, but if it isn't worth losing points in Dom that will help your survival. There are other things I would change in the Dom tree as well, but that's the Rift Class system for you. We all have our own ways of managing things.
    1 point in smoldering lets you cast it in combat. What in dom did I remove that effects your survival? Also, if I'm not mistaken cinder can proc pyro armor thus adding some RNG to your burst and everyone knows RNG + burst goes hand in hand for PvP. But you're right it's all preference which proves that this game is well designed. Really though, adding all those procs just seems to go hand in hand with the 50% haste after a CC. Also, its 15%, 20% if you count the swap between armors. You also gain a second 5s stun and turn your root into a root and shoot.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 01-16-2011 at 09:09 PM.

  8. #68
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12

    Default Closest class to the Coercer?

    I played one in EQ2 and I love the roll they play. While I don't see a Charm spell, this looks to be the closest class that come to it. Any advice from people in beta from those to love to take a chaotic situation and make it manageable.

    Is the Dominator the class I am looking for?

    Thanks

  9. #69
    Rift Master Izkimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    1 point in smoldering lets you cast it in combat. What in dom did I remove that effects your survival? Also, if I'm not mistaken cinder can proc pyro armor thus adding some RNG to your burst and everyone knows RNG + burst goes hand in hand for PvP. But you're right it's all preference which proves that this game is well designed. Really though, adding all those procs just seems to go hand in hand with the 50% haste after a CC. Also, its 15%, 20% if you count the swap between armors. You also gain a second 5s stun and turn your root into a root and shoot.
    You removed Improved Mana Wrench which really makes this move shine and help you become a caster killer, same thing with Transference although that isn't as important. However, I feel taking away the points in Iron Will is taking away a big reason other than CC of using Overpowering Will. This move alone could help you keep going for a long time during fights. Pop OP Will, mana regen while CC is enacted. You then went off on a path with the improved Flamebolt and Wildfire when I believe the added survivability and the notably added dmg. from Archmage could help you a lot more in this case. Espec. since Flamebolt is a 30 sec cd and you're putting points in to just give it a 30% chance of proc. Also, I don't know how the Pyro Armor adds range, but it can add burst. But you will be waiting on a proc for this, however I actually think this one could help out, I just would rather not spec that high into the tree to get it. Wow how could I forget about something so powerful with the Pyro Class, a charge consuming 50% dmg increasing ability by the mage. Wow. So with the build I was looking at you would now get a 149% dmg bonus to Cinder Burst plus the added 10% int, and I'm not sure how dmg scales with int right now. But WOW, can you say pain?

    Also the reason I haven't been wanting to add Smoldering Powder enhance to my build, is because I don't plan to use it much. The Dominator is going to be a lot about managing charge, and I don't need to take charge away with applications of Smoldering Powder to save a bit of mana. That's what I have OP Will/Iron Will, Mana Wrench for, with addition of Elf Racial.
    Last edited by Izkimar; 01-16-2011 at 11:53 PM.

  10. #70
    Ascendant Inixia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Ok so I'm leaning towards a pur dominator/ elementalist secondary build... but I'm also trying to compare it to other classes to figure out what I want. The problem is like each different soul builder seems to have different numbers on how much base dmg these spells are doing and its totally driving me crazy. Any idea which ones are accurate? Its really hard to make comparisons without some idea of which one I should use since they kinda all have significant differences.

    I'm really liking the elementalist build though 50% crit bonus is pretty amazing, not to mention you can also snag an 8% dmg reduction, a temp ward, 5% crit chance, a 12 second break on dmg root, and a really good dmg over time fire spell [198ish base dmg] all in 15 pts. I'm also looking at Warlock, Pyromancer, and Chloromancer though, especially pyromancer since it seems to be a very good dps buff to dom. I'm really surprised people are forsaking 44 pt disorient as much as they are in their builds though... I mean, it really looks like this is probably one of the BEST spells for dominator- their highest single hit damage spell (140.5 base dmg on http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#), plus a long lasting confuse effect which initiates a 50% next spell dmg and 50% spell cast time decrease for 5 second period, in a 2 second cast time? I mean that's considerably more dmg than cinder burst is listed as doing on the soul builders I'm looking at atm (104 base, but I really think they adjusted the dmg on it recently so idk. it seems like i remember it being higher though) both directly and including indirect dmg from adding in the 50% dmg to next spell. My favorite spell I think is going to be split personality though- not only does it sound like mindgames being disguised as and producing the shades, but them each doing 48.5 base dmg spells over the 30 seconds they are active seems like really high dmg for the amount of time it takes to cast it. Death's Edict is pretty hot too.
    edit: so maybe something like this http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...nts=0&lang=eng
    but i still want to experiment more and shift stuff around to get some of the stuff in the pvp tree. And am really interested in hearing people's thoughts/criticisms. Especially since its still in beta and I feel like discussion has been getting me to learn a lot.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 02:24 PM.

  11. #71
    Ascendant Inixia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzerus View Post
    I played one in EQ2 and I love the roll they play. While I don't see a Charm spell, this looks to be the closest class that come to it. Any advice from people in beta from those to love to take a chaotic situation and make it manageable.

    Is the Dominator the class I am looking for?

    Thanks
    Sorry for the double post, but yes this is totally the place for mage cc confuse seems like it might have qualities similar to charm but no one has really explained the mechanics of it yet so idk. Welcome to the dom thread!

    Edit: But if you are looking for coercer raid roles (dps, mana regen, and group buffs) you are probably better looking at something with archon and a dps mage.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 03:32 AM.

  12. #72
    Plane Touched Korncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    271

    Default

    So can you drain someone's mana while they are transmogrified?

    Xfire/steam : Korncob

  13. #73
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    This is a build I pieced together. I haven't played beta so it is mainly based on what can be read on the internet. My goal is to get some of the interesting Dominator abilities to keep the enemy supressed and to manipulate the opponent. Also, I want to get a decent elemental pet if spare points are available so I put one point into the level 20 greater elemental ability. I focused mainly on certain Stormcaller abilities to enhance damage output. I was not able to get inducate though with this build though I probably could rework things to get it.
    What do others think about it? Would there be changes that are advisable?

    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...16,5_&lang=eng
    Last edited by Dynamic World; 01-17-2011 at 07:33 AM.

  14. #74
    Rift Master Izkimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    Ok so I'm leaning towards a pur dominator/ elementalist secondary build... but I'm also trying to compare it to other classes to figure out what I want. The problem is like each different soul builder seems to have different numbers on how much base dmg these spells are doing and its totally driving me crazy. Any idea which ones are accurate? Its really hard to make comparisons without some idea of which one I should use since they kinda all have significant differences.

    I'm really liking the elementalist build though 50% crit bonus is pretty amazing, not to mention you can also snag an 8% dmg reduction, a temp ward, 5% crit chance, a 12 second break on dmg root, and a really good dmg over time fire spell [198ish base dmg] all in 15 pts. I'm also looking at Warlock, Pyromancer, and Chloromancer though, especially pyromancer since it seems to be a very good dps buff to dom. I'm really surprised people are forsaking 44 pt disorient as much as they are in their builds though... I mean, it really looks like this is probably one of the BEST spells for dominator- their highest single hit damage spell (140.5 base dmg on http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#), plus a long lasting confuse effect which initiates a 50% next spell dmg and 50% spell cast time decrease for 5 second period, in a 2 second cast time? I meant that's considerably more dmg than cinder burst is listed as doing on the soul builders I'm looking at atm (104 base, but I really think they adjusted the dmg on it recently so idk. it seems like i remember it being higher though) both directly and including indirect dmg from adding in the 50% dmg to next spell. My favorite spell I think is going to be split personality though- not only does it sound like mindgames being disguised as and producing the shades, but them each doing 48.5 base dmg spells over the 30 seconds they are active seems like really high dmg for the amount of time it takes to cast it. Death's Edict is pretty hot too.
    edit: so maybe something like this http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...nts=0&lang=eng
    but i still want to experiment more and shift stuff around to get some of the stuff in the pvp tree. And am really interested in hearing people's thoughts/criticisms. Especially since its still in beta and I feel like discussion has been getting me to learn a lot.
    Lol you got it a little confused. Disorient never offered 50% extra dmg. or 50% cast time reduction. You get that by putting 10 5 points into Controlled Opportunity and Swift Control each. Then when you cast Transmorgify, you get 50% cast time with 50% added dmg. This move is a move you get higher up in the tree, so I doubt you get as many lvl ups as you do with Cinderburst. There were people hitting with Cinderburst for 700 at lvl 27. Think about that. Also, you can't do more than one Disorient in the 5 sec reduced casting period because there is a 45 sec CD. I just think grabbing other things from other trees outweigh getting that, but the single target confusion could be useful. Also, try this link. It looks pretty new and up to date.
    http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl

  15. #75
    Rift Master Izkimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but yes this is totally the place for mage cc confuse seems like it might have qualities similar to charm but no one has really explained the mechanics of it yet so idk. Welcome to the dom thread!

    Edit: But if you are looking for coercer raid roles (dps, mana regen, and group buffs) you are probably better looking at something with archon and a dps mage.
    You get 5 forms of complete removal CC. What I mean is CC that isn't just a slowdown, root, silence, etc.. However you get a bunch of those too. The 4 forms are, Transmorgify "Which is a Polymorph" lasts up to 30 seconds or till damaged, you have mental shock which provides a 5 sec stun, Overpowering Will which confuses all enemies in the area for up to 8 secs and consumes charge if the effect is broken and the mage is around it will try to reapply it every 2 seconds. If you put 5 points into Iron Will you get 250% mana regen while this is active. You also get Death's Edict 3 second stun plus 10 sec 70% movement reduction afterwards, and you get Mass Exhaustion which confuses all enemies in an area for up to 30 seconds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korncob View Post
    So can you drain someone's mana while they are transmogrified?
    Any dmg. dealt breaks the effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts