+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rogue tanks?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ivalsetto View Post
    You forgot to mention the 30% damage absorbed while improved Rift Guard is maintained, and the -6% damage taken while maintaining Phantom Blow.
    Those plane shift buffs can be kept up indefinitely in the later levels too (though I will grant that doing so will not be feasible in every single encounter due to possible group positioning requirements, but I'm fine with that myself). Even easier with the Shadow Mastery talent.

Edit: There's also the tanking stance Guardian Phase (which may as well be a permanant passive) for +30% endurance, +50% armour, +50 to all resists.

It's possible they could get edged out at the later levels (the operative word being "possible" because no-one here has actually tried yet) but "utterly demolished 35+"? I'd be incredibly surprised.
    Last edited by Kedon; 01-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Fayde, I'll just start with saying you're missing quite a few Riftstalker abilities there =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    Let's take a quick look at Riftstalker tanking abilities for all you naysayers:

Branches:
    • Toughened Soul: +4/8/12/16/20% Armor. Passive.
    • Phantom Blow: Builder; -2% Dmg Taken, stackable 3 times. Enhanced Threat.
    • Boosted Recovery: +10/20/30% boost to Heals done to you. Passive.
    • Exceptional Resilience: -15/30% Dmg taken for 10 sec after being critted. Passive.
    • Cautious Stalker: +15/30/45% Armor after Plane Shift. 10 sec.
    • Rift Guard: Finisher; 15% absorption shield; absorbs up to 40% of max HP. 30 sec.
    • Imp. Rift Guard: +5/10/15% absorbed per hit; +50/100% total dmg absorbed. Passive.
    • Shadow Assault: Builder. Plane Shift. Auto-hit. 45 sec CD.
    • Shadow Mastery: 3/6/9/12/15 sec CD reduction on Plane Shift abilities. Passive.
    • Planar Refuge: -50% Dmg taken. 8 sec, 2 min CD.
    • Hardened Stalker: -5/10/15% Dmg taken after Plane Shift. 10 sec.
    • Freedom of Movement: Immune to Stun/Snare/Root after Plane Shift. 2 sec.
    Roots:
    • Planar Strike: Builder; very enhanced Threat.
    • Rift Disturbance: Builder; reduces enemy AP/SP. Enhanced Threat. 10 sec CD.
    • Instigate: Taunt. 8 sec CD.
    • Shadow Stalk: Plane Shift. Remove Stun/Snare/Roots. 45 sec CD.
    • Guardian Phase: +50% Armor. +50 all Resists. +100% Threat. +30% Endurance. -30% Dmg done. Stance.
    • Shadow Blitz: Builder; hits 3 targets. Plane Shift. Enhanced Threat. 45 sec CD.
    • Defer Death: Delay all Dmg taken. 10 sec.

So looking at this, we see a 30% absorb shield that's very possible to keep up, -6% damage taken from builders that is very easy to maintain, +20% armor, heals on you are 30% more effective, a half damage "oh ****" button, and you take 30% less damage after being critted. Additionally, you have a stance that gives +50% armor, +50 to all resists, +100% Threat, and +30% Endurance.

On top of this, every time you Plane Shift, you have +45% armor and take 15% less damage. And you have these on constantly since you have FOUR combat Plane Shifts on 30 sec cooldowns. Heck, there's two non-combat plane shifts that you can aim if you really want even more.

Nah. This will never be able to tank, right? Right?

I, for one, welcome our new Riftstalker and Justicar tanks.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

And on top of all that, there's additional survivability in the blade dancer, bard and ranger trees.
    Coil - Regulos

Ascendant

A little bit in Nightblade too with Twilight Shelter and Fire and Death Attunement.

Shadowlander

And on top of all that, there's additional survivability in the blade dancer, bard and ranger trees.
    Improved false blade for inc dodge and parry (5% each) and quick reflexes for an additional 5% dodge from bladedancers
    +10% endurance, -3% to being hit and critted from bard

noone really knows what end game will bring and I got no doubt in my mind that riftstalkers will be a hard class to tank well with (there will prolly be alot of bad riftstalker tanks out there I'm afraid) But my personal opinion is that a well played riftstalker will be atleased on par with the best warrior tanks out there.

(bit off topic here, there is alot of talk about warrior tanking and (less) about rogue tanking but I can't seem to find any posts on cleric tanking. What do you think is the reason for that?)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post
    Over all the warrior will out tank the Riftstalker dispite it having the better passives in its own tree since it can lacks the passives form the other tank souls like the warrior can.
    A Rogue tank can easily pick up some nice tanking stuff from other souls as well. +10% max life, -3% hit and crit chance against you for only 8 total points in bard, or spend a 9th and get the armor aura as well. Also there is 5% dodge at the bottom of blade dancer, as well as 5% hit. If willing to spend 15 points you can also get a nice +15% dex. You might discount hit and dex as tanking stats, but an attack that misses causes no agro, and it is safe to assume end game tanking will involve tanking things higher level than you are. In the same vein, Riftstalker can get +15% crit after planes shifting, crits yielding more agro(and of course damage). Also, in your list you somehow missed one minor thing and one rather major thing. Phantom blow's 6% damage reduction for rogue, and Guardian phase. Talking about rogue's lack of plate and shield and failing to mention the 50% armor, 50 all resist, +100% agro, 30% endurance(and admittedly -30% damage) buff would make warriors seem a good bit better.

For the record, I am not a riftstalker follower of any sort, I actually intend to be a Justicar tank. I am not saying that Riftstalker is as good or better than a warrior, I am just pointing out that you have excluded a great deal of survivability on the rogue side, and neglected to see that there are some good passives at low points for Riftstalker in other souls.In my opinion all tank souls should be, roughly, as good as each other, situation aside. They seem to have made the Justicar and Riftstalker trees have a bit more mitigation than the warrior tank trees. This is because they have fewer options from other trees to pick up such abilities.A warrior picking from all three tank souls has more options, but those options shouldn't be, in every case, better than the other tanks.
    Last edited by Adamwsat; 01-15-2011 at 12:33 PM.

I was going on listing the passive's over the root skills and there effects that was just a quick post to show i was not making it up not an indeepth look about how riftstalker will be end game by listing all skills and effects.
    Last edited by Fayde; 01-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post
    I was going on listing the passive's over the root skills and there effects that was just a quick post to show i was not making it up not an indeepth look about how riftstalker will be end game by listing all skills and effects.
    Doesn't sound like you played a riftstalker when you leave out their class-defining abilities in a comparison between tanks. Obviously there are a lot of abilities that transform a squishy leather wearer into an able tank, and you left out all of them.
    Coil - Regulos

As I have mentioned before, a riftstalker along with it's +30% self bonus healing talent and Bard self heals is quite amazing.

Doesn't sound like you played a riftstalker when you leave out their class-defining abilities in a comparison between tanks. Obviously there are a lot of abilities that transform a squishy leather wearer into an able tank, and you left out all of them.
    That would be a massive post and not worth the time to try and disprove the other two guys who clamed i was talking crap i have played riftstalker and i did enjoy the class i just don`t agree that it is as good as a pure tank warrior in the long term.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2