+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pulling class?

Soulwalker

Default Pulling class?

I was wondering which class is going to be THE pulling class?

Right now I only see the ranger as a potential pulling class.

I also cant wait to hear about how the mecanichs works. How the mobs react? Can you split the mobs or do you have to get the full pack and CC them?

I surely hope that the mecanichs works more like Everquest than WoW.

/Lenthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Lenthorn View Post
    I was wondering which class is going to be THE pulling class?

Right now I only see the ranger as a potential pulling class.

I also cant wait to hear about how the mecanichs works. How the mobs react? Can you split the mobs or do you have to get the full pack and CC them?

I surely hope that the mecanichs works more like Everquest than WoW.

/Lenthorn
    Impossible to say for sure right now. Will a Spear throwing warrior be better than a ranged Marksman or a Mage with a snaring DoT? All depends on how aggro mechanics and CC. Right now other than Fear and Pet tricks we have seen little if any CC type abilities, aggro push, taunts etc...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
    Impossible to say for sure right now. Will a Spear throwing warrior be better than a ranged Marksman or a Mage with a snaring DoT? All depends on how aggro mechanics and CC. Right now other than Fear and Pet tricks we have seen little if any CC type abilities, aggro push, taunts etc...
    I'm sure even in a system discouraging/muddling up the Trinity, there will always be theorycrafters that make tanking specs to be copied and pasted throughout the playerbase...

Rift Disciple

When i watch the infos about abilitys and possibilites of the current known classes i cant find a "uber" pulling class. FD Ability for example when things go wrong. From what i have seen there isnt an ability to deaggro pulls beside you simple die.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I'm sure even in a system discouraging/muddling up the Trinity, there will always be theorycrafters that make tanking specs to be copied and pasted throughout the playerbase...
    For tanking what content? I'm sure there will be those too insecure to make a choice about their spec and follow someone elses idea, will it be the best? Not necessarily. Will there be people who do their own thing and deviate from that spec with good success, almost certainly.

It all depends on how intricate the pull is, how many mobs there are and of course, how hard hitting they are.

We also dont know how the aggro will react and play out. There are ways to pull mobs with a CC'er just CC'ing one mob straight away. However this option only works if your group is extremely organized and pulls the aggro off that person immediately, or that squishy is going to get nuked and die.

Alternatively if the mechanics are that initial aggro(very first person to get aggro) gets an aggro bonus, in which case have constantly having the mob CC'ed(while fighting other mobs) he/she will have an extremely high aggro placement and it could be difficult pulling aggro back on the tank.

If those two above examples are not the case, then any class with sufficient CC can pull. Sleep? Directional fear? Whatever the CC may be, it could work.

Is it a long distance pull, need to stand max distance? Well, then you would be looking at the longest ranged class pulling.

Is it a pull where they insta-nuke the person pulling, well, then somebody who has damage absorption or the main tank would go in first, then CC after aggro.

Too many variables to answer your question properly at this point in time.

My main back in eq original was a sk, and I excelled at pulling, its one thing I was really good at, he could take a beating and tank the stuff too, being able to pull and tank made it easier to form groups also. Fast forward to today, and the art of pulling is pretty much lost on mmorpgs, linked encounters and no real mechanism to spit up bosses besides mezzing and morphing them, I miss the art involved in splitting off 1 mob at a time because if you brought more than 1-2 it ment certain death.

Quote Originally Posted by armengar View Post
    My main back in eq original was a sk, and I excelled at pulling, its one thing I was really good at, he could take a beating and tank the stuff too, being able to pull and tank made it easier to form groups also. Fast forward to today, and the art of pulling is pretty much lost on mmorpgs, linked encounters and no real mechanism to spit up bosses besides mezzing and morphing them, I miss the art involved in splitting off 1 mob at a time because if you brought more than 1-2 it ment certain death.
    I couldn't have said it better. It does seem pulling is a lost art.
    My fav in EQ was with my Bard pulling hard LDoN dungeons.
    Even working together with a Monk to tag after he poped a FD. Sure there is always the arguement that those class skills where never intened to work that way, but they did and managed to create a loved playstyle.

I hate to keep living in the past but lets face it the past rocked.
    Coda Rocklift Bard
    It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.

It remains to be see whether or not Rift will even need a pulling class.

If it is like WoW, where 99% of the time you can easily pull singles, there's no need.

If it's like older games then a pulling class is a must-have.

Let's hope for the latter.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

I'd love to have another game with EQ pulling techniques, aggro rules, and pathing , even if it was instanced and non-respawning.

I was an SK too =)

Speaking of the art of pulling in EQ:

I am a fan as well; I recall doing PoH (Plane of Hate) raids and seeing my own guilds Monk and SK combo do some incredible pulls. The Monk would run in and grab aggro from maybe 5 mobs/specters and then run out to the middle area while the rest of us hugged the walls, he would FD and just drop (please note it was my first mmo and the magic was there baby) I was in awe of the SK grabbing one of two of the mobs that were returning back to their spawn points he ran them into the lot of us and we got to work. As a Rogue my responsibility was to clean up and stealth grab corpses that died while porting into the Plane and I would slowly traverse the zone con'ing mobs to see if my stealth was holding strong - the excitement from these raids in EQ has NEVER been repeated for me. The idea that something so simple as pulling a mob can be considered a game maker throws me back into my EQ days and I yearn for the idea that classes do more than just advertised.

Nowadays thanks to "casual" death penalty, "simple" raiding techniques, and the idea that MMOs don't take any real skill or motivation to play just as long as a company is making their profit, it just seems that we've slowly lost our identities (with respect to my EQ brethren) and that we are on the sidelines waiting for the idea that we will make mistakes, we will find flaws, but above all else we will learn, immerse ourselves, and find something deeper than just pixel, polygon, and price tag.

I don't believe that there is a pulling class MUST but man, remember when we had other jobs than tank, healer, dps, and buff? When it felt more like an adventure than a job or class description - discussions like these ignite a sleeping passion!
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Oh yah being the official Flopper in EQ was sooooo fun. Run in and pull for a group then FD for 5+ minutes while they kill the target. Doing that for 2+ hours is insanely fun Where's the vomit emote when you need one?

Eh, I suppose you weren't good at anything else as far as being a Monk was concerned ?

Sorry for bringing up bad memories, you know what they say though - each MMO class is a human personality
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Quote Originally Posted by Shagroth View Post
    Eh, I suppose you weren't good at anything else as far as being a Monk was concerned ?

Sorry for bringing up bad memories, you know what they say though - each MMO class is a human personality
    Is it so hard to believe someone might actually have a differing opinion of something than you? After being asked to be the main puller in a few raids I switched to my Rogue as I just didn't find pulling/flopping enjoyable at all. I like beating the crap out of something with my class not laying down on the ground watching everyone else do it. :P
    But hey nice try on the passive aggressiveness. Keep practicing you might get better at it.

First - i hope there isn't any Monks.

Second - i hope there is no Feign Death or any variants whatsoever EVER!!!

That is a crappy mechanic and it's a cheesy way of pulling. You should be able to pull with Style and Technique and Bravado - show some courage in your pulling abilities and how to pull properly without overwhelming your group and you will be a master puller. I know i was - for 10 years - and never once used Feign Death. LOL

Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast