+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage AoE Build/Souls?

Soulwalker

Default Mage AoE Build/Souls?

I was wondering which Mage souls have AoE skills and what sort of Soul Combo would really bring out the AoE aspect?

I think I heard that Stormcaller + Pyro had some AoE-- are there any others?

Stormcaller/Pyro will have the most options when it comes to AOE, but other mage souls have some as well.

Warlocks have Devouring Shadows which is a channeled AOE and also have an AOE that does damage to 5 targets and heals you for the damage dealt, but has a 1 minute cooldown. Elementalists have a cone and an aoe but each of them have cooldowns.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Soulwalker

Thanks so much!

Soulwalker

i wouldn't agree about pyro - he got only 1 or 2 offensive aoe spells, all the rest is single target direct damage nuke

Quote Originally Posted by gingi View Post
    i wouldn't agree about pyro - he got only 1 or 2 offensive aoe spells, all the rest is single target direct damage nuke
    I've played my Necro/Warlock and Elementalist/Pyro a lot. The Elementalist/Pyro, especially at higher levels, has a lot of AoE, Cones and control mechanics. Anything from roots, snares, knock backs, pets and more. Very nasty PvP soul mixture and you can add a few points into the PvP once unlocked for even more survivability. However this combination has a sick amount of durability as is.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Ascendant

storm|elementalist.. up to you on 3rd soul, consider archmage, warlock, archon, chloro, or dominator

Warlock has some AE. There's one targeted ae, and then at 20 there's an point blank ae lifetap that consumes charge.

There's also a leaf ability that makes a couple of your DoTs ae. I haven't taken it for my solo spec, since that can cause problems, but when I get some more cash I will probably buy another role and spec into it for groups.
    Last edited by Xenon; 01-13-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Ascendant

Having more aoe spells does not make the build better for AOE. I am fairly sure Pyro's get the best overall damaging aoe as a pyro/elementalist/archon build
    www.maximation.us
    #1 Guardian raiding guild. Check us out if you think you have what it takes!

-Opi & Opii @ Shatterbone

Prophet of Telara

You'll note that the OP didn't specify damage. He just asked which ones have AoE skills.

Stormcaller/Pyro is a good option. Fire Storm is a big AoE DoT and you can upgrade it to add a short stun too.... Stormcaller has lots of AoE effects... but the damage on them isn't great - they seem to focus on snares and effects, but the damage is a bit weak to be frank.

I played an Ele/SC/Dom in last beta and he could lay down some serious AoE damage - not least because the Air Ele pet has AoE nukes too and his Electrify effect gives the mage a Spell power buff afaik. Ele also has a big AoE DoT, though not as big as the Pyro one... but between that and the Air Ele, the Elementalist probably wins out over pyro overall on AoE damage... without even knowing just what the Fire Elemental Swarm at 51 pts will do hehe. There's also pretty good synergy between Ele and SC, so they boost each other naturally.

I wonder what benefits there would be to a Pyro/Ele mix. There's some synergy there on fire damage - especially because the big Ele AoE DoT is a fire damage one. And of course, some of the Ele abilities boost all elemental damage types, including fire. Between Burning Ground, Air Ele and Fire Storm you could lay down some heavy duty damage.

Warlock also has a nice AoE DoT and PBAoE available... and he has the mana regain from sacrificing health... but also the health leech....

If you weren't against flat builds, then you might go for: Ele/Pyro/Lock which gets you the 198 Ele, 277 Pyro and 166/277 Lock AoE Dots and the Greater Air Pet - and a bunch of good modifiers...

Then too... if it isn't all about damage, there's also the AoE effects of the Chloro and the Archon to consider. There's many that would say that the ability of the Chloro to heal many allies at once, both with AoE and reactive effects, is perhaps the strongest AoE effects in the Mage archetype....

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-14-2011 at 01:17 AM.

I am planning on going Warlock/Elementalist for some AoE damage with my pet pulling. I will use my channeled AoE spell until I am getting lower on life, and then finish the creatures off with my charge AoE for full health. Pull 1 mob between to recharge.

Something like this at level 20 should drop 6+ mobs with little risk to myself.

This will also dominate for PvP, since you are a little more beefy than other mages.

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...16,5_&lang=eng

Prophet of Telara

I updated my build above to use all points by going for the greater Air Ele pet and the increase pet damage line, also gives the 3 target knock-back which won't hurt hehe. You also get more spell power buff from your Air Ele's Electrify.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-14-2011 at 01:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread