+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard's Soul Tree Questions -

Rift Disciple

Default Bard's Soul Tree Questions -

As I was looking at the Bard soul tree and trying to decide where to put my points in the Bard soul tree. I came up with this Major Question -

Does the gear the bard wears have a effect on the bonus the talents from the Bard Soul Tree gives to the Bard?

Examples and my worries, since these talents seem kind of lacking Ė

Tier 3 Ė Stage Presence: With 5 points in it, increasing the effectiveness of the Bardís Fanfares by 30%.

Is this talent worth it? From my understanding itís not. Reasoning is Ė (1) The Bard is only allowed to play one Fanfare per Rogue. (2) Fanfareís, while they increase a stat, the stat increase would only be minor for the points invested. Example: (40) Fanfare of Knowledge: Increases party/raid members by 30. So if you have 5 points invested the increase would be 30 + (30 x 30% = 9) = 39.

Am I doing this right? Is it really this bad?

Tier 3 Street Performer, Rank 5/5 Increase the effectiveness of your Anthems by 30% is also the same way. Only thing that might make this semi-worthwhile is that the Anthems usually are working with bigger numbers.

Tier 5 - Coda of Restoration, Rank 1/1, Cast: Instant, Range: 15
    Plays a Coda that uses combo points to instantly heal up to 10 party and raid members.
    1 Point: 49 hit points
    2 Points: 98 hit points
    3 Points: 147 hit points
    4 Points: 196 hit points
    5 Points: 245 hit points

This healing seems a little low for the level (21) and the health of the players once they get it. Before someone says it's a Instant cast heal, it's not. It requires 5 combo points to put up and putting up those points takes time.
    If gear does effect this talent, then I'd say it's about where it should be. But what gear would it be effected by?

Bardís also seem to be on the low end of their choices of talents in the soul tree. Sitting at 19 choices while most other classes seem to be in the 20 to 21 range. Would like at lease one more option in the Bardís Soul tree, options are always good.

Well we only got to level 27. Stat values from buffs and such should be a lot higher at higher levels, making those talents a lot better than what they seem right now. Also the Coda of Restoration at level 26 had a higher base healing value. Getting the talent beside it to increase its effectiveness is a must.

Also keep in mind that Coda of Restoration is an AoE heal. Join a Warfront, find a (good) Bard and look at the healing values at the end of the fight. You should notice that that Bard will be at or very near the top of the chart. Bards can pump out a lot of healing, Coda of Restoration isn't their only one. And don't forget to add in our 28 point Motif that increases healing received by 5%.
    Last edited by FoolishLobster; 01-13-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mavik View Post
    Is this talent worth it? From my understanding itís not.
    ... Only thing that might make this semi-worthwhile is that the Anthems usually are working with bigger numbers.
    30% is 30 per cent is 30/100. It doesn't matter what the values are.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishLobster View Post
    Also keep in mind that Coda of Restoration is an AoE heal. Join a Warfront, find a (good) Bard and look at the healing values at the end of the fight. You should notice that that Bard will be at or very near the top of the chart. Bards can pump out a lot of healing, Coda of Restoration isn't their only one. And don't forget to add in our 28 point Motif that increases healing received by 5%.
    Very true. Bard healing, at least in beta4, was amazing in warfronts. But, this could have been because so very few people seemed to heal in warfronts, so having a perpetual bard HoT was exaggeratedly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Very true. Bard healing, at least in beta4, was amazing in warfronts. But, this could have been because so very few people seemed to heal in warfronts, so having a perpetual bard HoT was exaggeratedly effective.
    I totally agree. Didn't seem like there were many healers, maybe 2 each side is what I saw the most (in The Black Garden at least). In The Codex, I always went Nightblade and defended points because no one else seemed to want to defend.

As none of us have experienced end-game this is only my thought

When I look at the tree I see 3 main things that Bards will be able to do:

Buff through 1 fanfare, 1 anthem, and 6 motifs. (plus Resonance)
    Debuff targets through coda of distress & cowardice (using extended grief)
    Off-heal using cadence, verse of vitality & coda of regeneration.

I think Street Performer and Stage Presence will be great to have that extra little oomph.
    Especially Street Performer when combined with Anthem of Fervor (-10% ability costs + 30% more)
    Last edited by Aryt; 01-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    30% is 30 per cent is 30/100. It doesn't matter what the values are.
    Boggle! It does matter. If the Value is 30, then 30% gives you 9, yielding 30+9=39. If the value is 100, 30% gives you 30, yielding 30+100=130.

The thing withthe Bard is they aren't a main healer class. They are to be used as backup to a main healer. The combo points aren't a problem because your main attack gives you 3 combo points and can heal the party while using it.

I found that If I macro's my motifs(healing motif included), used my healing attack, and used the coda that heals, that I was able to keep my party healed most of the time.
    i7 980x EE @4.5ghz
    24gb Corsair Dominator
    ASUS Rampage III Extreme Mobo
    (2)GTX 580 Black Ops edition SLI
    2560x1600 on 30" Dell LCD

Plane Touched

Tier 5 - Coda of Restoration, Rank 1/1, Cast: Instant, Range: 15
    Plays a Coda that uses combo points to instantly heal up to 10 party and raid members.
    1 Point: 49 hit points
    2 Points: 98 hit points
    3 Points: 147 hit points
    4 Points: 196 hit points
    5 Points: 245 hit points

This healing seems a little low for the level (21) and the health of the players once they get it.
    It's not, and it goes up. Plus it's AOE. Building up 5 combo points is extremely simple for a bard, even if they don't involve their other soul at all.

My standard approach was pull with Fiery Strike (Nightblade thrown attack), sing Cadence when the monster rushes me, then when it arrives, hit it with Primal Strike (Nightblade melee attack). Instant 5 combo points before the fight even really starts for the monster, and I can immediately hit it with a finisher.

Then think about the final tier ability for bards, where they can use all of their codas at 5 combo points, WITHOUT EXPENDING ANY COMBO POINTS. If you do nothing but spam the healing coda, that's an immense amount of healing to pump out during the duration of that ability.

+ Reply to Thread