+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chloro/Archon/Dom... too much support?

Soulwalker

Default Chloro/Archon/Dom... too much support?

Hello, folks,

I'm considering a full on support Mage, (among other classes), and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a Chloro/Arch/Dom mage?

Are there enough truly desirable skills in the mid to upper tiers of each tree that you wouldn't have enough points to spread around to make all three souls worthwhile?

I was thinking at least focus on Chloro/Arch and just 0 points, (worst case), in Dom and I still have a 30 sec squirrel mezz.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good build for this? Will I be hating myself when I have to solo?

I've seen several threads with 2 of the 3 support souls with then necro, or warlock, or stormcaller, ele, etc... but I have yet to see a thread with anyone considerng going full support with all 3 of the more support'ish souls.

Any insight/advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh... and don't you just hate when you fat finger typo your forum name when you register? <sigh>

Take care.

I was considering it, but warlock just gave too much to spare. I was sold on lock/chloro/dom

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidrenegae View Post
    Will I be hating myself when I have to solo?
    In a word, yes.

You'll be a huge asset to a raid, but it would be a good idea to have a different role for soloing.

One issue is that Archon is a soul that really needs heavy point investment... the 32-38-44-51 point abilities are the ones that give your raid members the biggest benefits, and I don't think you'll be able to do much else while keeping all of your archon buffs/debuffs up. The same as true for a Chloro if you're trying to main heal... you won't really be casting anything except your chloro stuff. A full archon with 13 points in Chloro to improve Radiant spores would be pretty useful, but you don't really have much in the way of synergy between the two trees.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    In a word, yes.

You'll be a huge asset to a raid, but it would be a good idea to have a different role for soloing.

One issue is that Archon is a soul that really needs heavy point investment... the 32-38-44-51 point abilities are the ones that give your raid members the biggest benefits, and I don't think you'll be able to do much else while keeping all of your archon buffs/debuffs up. The same as true for a Chloro if you're trying to main heal... you won't really be casting anything except your chloro stuff. A full archon with 13 points in Chloro to improve Radiant spores would be pretty useful, but you don't really have much in the way of synergy between the two trees.
    he's best, in fact I'd say EVERYONE is is best off taking only 2 support classes. Archon works best with elementalist and pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Mucro View Post
    Archon works best with elementalist and pyromancer
    I'd be inclined to agree. Even more, depending on how you spent your points, I'm seeing some substantial DPS ability in there, even if you put most of your points into Archon, provided you use mostly Fire damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatik1J View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree. Even more, depending on how you spent your points, I'm seeing some substantial DPS ability in there, even if you put most of your points into Archon, provided you use mostly Fire damage.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...20,5_&lang=eng

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    In a word, yes.

Exhilaration is pretty amazing. If you actually do go 32 archon you'll have 10% haste, 20% damage AND healing which unless I'm wrong would double dip for lifegiving veil/ and -20% mana cost as well.

Honestly for PvE a build like http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...nts=0&lang=eng would just be extremely overpowered in my opinion.

oh, but as far as dom, I don't see much benefit for it unless you're archon primary/18 chloro/rest dom.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 01-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.

he's best, in fact I'd say EVERYONE is is best off taking only 2 support classes. Archon works best with elementalist and pyromancer
    Chloromancer and Archon do work well together. Archon is even a suggested pairing, along with Pyromancer in the tooltip.

Archon has:
    Pillaging stone - buffs str/dex/int/wis
    Consuming flames - shields an ally that absorbs 10% of the mageís health, and deals that as damage to the mage.
    Power drain - increases the mageís damage by 10%.
    Crumbling resistance - reduces the life resistance of mobs.
    Lava field Ė damages all enemies in it, and increases the effect of the next healing spell used on an ally within.

And thatís just the root abilities, in the branches there a good number of things that buff int, mana regen, etc.

Archon, itís not just for Pyromancers.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shiva- View Post
    Chloromancer and Archon do work well together. Archon is even a suggested pairing, along with Pyromancer in the tooltip.

Archon has:
    Pillaging stone - buffs str/dex/int/wis
    Consuming flames - shields an ally that absorbs 10% of the mageís health, and deals that as damage to the mage.
    Power drain - increases the mageís damage by 10%.
    Crumbling resistance - reduces the life resistance of mobs.
    Lava field Ė damages all enemies in it, and increases the effect of the next healing spell used on an ally within.

And thatís just the root abilities, in the branches there a good number of things that buff int, mana regen, etc.

Archon, itís not just for Pyromancers.
    The synergy is there with their firedamage spells, haste, and increased fire damage, **** even the pyromancer buffs the archon spells. Check out that spec I posted, Pyromancer/Archon/Elementalist.

That's pretty close to what I came up with...although I waffle between Tempest and Exposure! I figure Crumbling Defenses can take the place of Exposure. I also had more of a focus on single target damage, but otherwise that's pretty darn good.

Pfft....support only my foot!
    Last edited by Enigmatik1J; 01-13-2011 at 01:21 PM.

The synergy is there with their firedamage spells, haste, and increased fire damage, **** even the pyromancer buffs the archon spells. Check out that spec I posted, Pyromancer/Archon/Elementalist.
    My first role is Pyro/Archon/Elem, I know the synergy quite well. My second role is Chloro/Archon/Dom, and the syngery is equally as good, believe me.

But come next beta I fully intend my 3rd role to be your Chloro/War/Dom spec and check it out. It sounds interesting.

Ascendant

What, 5% increased fire damage? From 32 archon with 5x auras active you gain 20% damage AND ***HEALING***, with a mechanic like lifegiving veil it most likely double dips pretty much effectively raising the healing by 40%. You also gain 10% haste while giving your team 10% haste, and -20% mana cost to yourself. I don't know the duration of the 31 pointer that drains 10% damage and buffs 10% damage but that also has good synergy with nuke healing. What in this tree tells you it's pyromancer specific? Tier 1 5% fire damage? give me a break, it supports Chloro far more.

Oh, and skilled Lava Field is pretty much a +15% healing buff combined with an AoE nuke. So you gain from archon 20% healing constant, 20% damage, 10% haste, -20% mana cost, unknown duration 10% damage buff, 2.5% max mana gained each crit and a nuke on a 30s cd that buffs nearby raid crit by 30% for 8 seconds - if you don't see the power there I don't know what to say. You also gain a powerful mana regen tool that you will likely not even need for yourself so you can dump it on your single target heal specced clerics who are bombing heals on the tank. Also, a two int buffs and a wisdom buff. I probably missed some stuff. 30s cd 10% mana regen DoT as well.

Forgot to mention you have NO fire nukes below 38 in archon so that synergy is lacking as well. You have two fire DoTs and a 1.5 min ground AoE DoT.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 01-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.

i played to 20 on the beta as a chloro/archon/dom, and fully intend to do it again, i'll max archon to it's full 51 point potential too.

A lot of people are saying you wont be able to solo, and early on it's true, but once you get Bloom from the chloro tree, you're laughing.

I also fully endorse Dom as a zero-pointer to go with archon just for the crowd control. You may not be able to kill 3 mobs at once, but when you take one of them outta the game completely, it doesn't even matter. Also, flowing sands may have a 2 minute CD, but you get it so early that being able to once and a while throw it on a mob and kite it using neural prod will make you giggle.

I'd also just like to throw in my 2 cents to say that there really isn't what i'd call synergy between archon and any of the other mage trees, it's all the bonus buffing and debuffing that will make whatever your other trees are that little bit more powerful.

And if you take Archon as your main (as i intend to), your other trees won't synergise so much as add depth. Some DPS mage trees will turn you into DPS, a splash of chloro will make you a backup healer, the addition of dom will make you a walking oh-crap button. (given you throw 15 points into these, zero-pointers tend not to define you so fervently)
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shiva- View Post
    My first role is Pyro/Archon/Elem, I know the synergy quite well. My second role is Chloro/Archon/Dom, and the syngery is equally as good, believe me.

But come next beta I fully intend my 3rd role to be your Chloro/War/Dom spec and check it out. It sounds interesting.
    ahh it's good to see someone else saw the beauty in that spec I have made

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by RadioD View Post
    i played to 20 on the beta as a chloro/archon/dom, and fully intend to do it again, i'll max archon to it's full 51 point potential too.

A lot of people are saying you wont be able to solo, and early on it's true, but once you get Bloom from the chloro tree, you're laughing.

I also fully endorse Dom as a zero-pointer to go with archon just for the crowd control. You may not be able to kill 3 mobs at once, but when you take one of them outta the game completely, it doesn't even matter. Also, flowing sands may have a 2 minute CD, but you get it so early that being able to once and a while throw it on a mob and kite it using neural prod will make you giggle.

I'd also just like to throw in my 2 cents to say that there really isn't what i'd call synergy between archon and any of the other mage trees, it's all the bonus buffing and debuffing that will make whatever your other trees are that little bit more powerful.

And if you take Archon as your main (as i intend to), your other trees won't synergise so much as add depth. Some DPS mage trees will turn you into DPS, a splash of chloro will make you a backup healer, the addition of dom will make you a walking oh-crap button. (given you throw 15 points into these, zero-pointers tend not to define you so fervently)
    I actually feel like the 38-51 pointers come at too high a cost to your other souls. Though, in a raid environment at least one mage is gonna have to bite the bullet for the buffs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast