+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin damage question

Telaran

Default Assassin damage question

For those of you who have played with a fairly high amount of focus on the Assassin soul, where does most of the damage come from between physical damage, critical hits, bleeding, poison, other?

I have gathered from reading that many feel the Assassin (as one of melee Rogue souls) damage overall is sub-par, but being that as it may, where does a majority of that sub-par (overall) damage come from?

Telaran

I guess it also bears asking how much impact weapon damage has on the total damage equation... so if anyone cares to throw out some guestimates on the percentage of a heavily spec'd Assassin's damage breakdown, I would appreciate it.

Weapon Dmg = x%
    Physical Dmg =
    Crit Hit Dmg =
    Bleed Dmg =
    Poison Dmg =

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for but I remember someone posting a parse of a full Assassin build at 27 with i think NB 9 points. I believe this was running Darkening Deeps.

I can't find the actual post but i can tell you with 100% certainty that the top damage source was his auto-attack at 33,000 dmg.
    The next highest was Skill/Ability damage at about 31,000.

When I saw this I just about **** my pants and realized either a. it's because he was only 27 or b. Trion made a coding error somewhere... or maybe it's intended.

Still so many unsure things in regards to souls and damage output.

I feel this may turn into DAoC where lead developers and the dev. staff don't even know how they're game mechanics work. (btw EA Mythic, STILL doesn't know how Weapon Skill affects characters.)
    But that's not a bad thing either.

well, thats a really complicated answer...

the way the soul is set up its really hard to say A affects B. crit procs, and damage modifiers for certain skills really mess things up. a lot of the + damge mods and bleeds are based off of a crit, or cause you to crit more with a specific skill. so once you crit on a mob once, you can pretty much rip it in half. low crit for this class = low dps.

From what ive seen there are some problems though. (and this is just my opinion)

the DD poison is pretty much completely useless. it does like 14-17 dmg at 27. if you spend 3 points in poison potency it bumps it to a whopping 20 dmg... yeah thats right, 20% chance to do 20 dmg... another 5 points in mastery nets you a 30% chance at 20 damage. needs to be doubled.

The skill that procs a % damage increase from a crit (cruel vengence)is nice, but imho is probably a little high in the tree.

backstab is pretty much useless in it current form, your lvl 0 attack does almost as much damge, and has a lot more skill that modify it (+dmg and crit%), and isnt positional

the bleed skills are a little better than useless (the 2 combo points one saving grace), but not much. it either needs to do slightly more damage or tick faster. serrated blades is tied to crits, and potentially sounds good IF you have a high crit chance. for example it COULD do:
    20 weapon damage X 300% X 3 = 180. but then you divide the 180 by 6 seconds for a whopping 30 dps.

Shadowlander

I agree with all of the above posts and just wanted to add my 2 cents. I did not calculate the variable forms of dps and see where the majority was coming from, though I did pay attention to it. As many have stated, the melee rogue souls, specifically Assasin, is pretty low in terms of dps. Testing both cleric and mage builds pretty heavily, I would definately say that assasin dps pretty much sucks at the available levels and the required skill needed to successfully careout attacks. Even when all of the variable damage is stacked, the dps is still fairly low. The crit damage is decent when performing finishers, but still way lower than rogue counterparts. I could consistantly crit with a marksman soul for around 1k, not everytime but frequently enough. My assasin build would crit for 300-400 fairly frequently, but i was pretty much gauranteed my marksman would hit for that or double.

Personally, I found the primary saving grace for the assasin soul was the fulltime stealth. Being able to sit back and choose when or what to attack was very valuable. If I was patient enough to do so, I could have an extremely high kill to death ratio and pretty much finish most solo encounters without taking damage, by stun locking people long enough to kill them. Dps isn't very high comparably, but surprise and stun for the most part allow high success. This of course will change though with higher levels and more abilities to break stuns...I suppose we will see how things change for the assasin soul, but one thing is certain, dps isn't its strong suit.

+ Reply to Thread