+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stormcaller-elementalist, a solo mage?

Default stormcaller-elementalist, a solo mage?

Link to build
    Imo elemental, grater one, can hold multiple aggro , and stormcaller can hit them with aoe prety nice.
    Still in theory, never got enough points to try out greater elementals.

Or poeeebly it worth respec for grater water elemental ?
    to eomething like this
    Last edited by Xellos; 01-13-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Champion

Not much reason to go past 28 points in stormcaller unless you are looking for CC components for your AoE/DD spells for PVP. With the ele's greater earth pet he can handle 4-5 of the same lvl without heals, while you take them down.

I pumped up stormcaller just for lightning storm and deadly shards.
    Well and to be honest channaled shell shock looked very nice
    And for pet - how`s grater elementals compared to necromancer`s pets (tanky ones i guess)?
    Last edited by Xellos; 01-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
    I pumped up stormcaller just for lightning storm and deadly shards.
    Well and to be honest channaled shell shock looked very nice
    And for pet - how`s grater elementals compared to necromancer`s pets (tanky ones i guess)?
    Well water is pretty much a pvp pet. Decent dmg on the single target bolt, but that comes with a 30% snare component which has 100% uptime if he is focused on one mob/player. Also he has an ability like Flash freeze, as it freezes for 8 seconds in a AoE. Then he has what some might be familiar with from the succubus in WoW, a silence ability for 3 seconds.

He is neither a tank, nor a dps pet. More for "control".

Greater earth for pure tanking, out of the two souls, has no equal when it comes to both tanking AND generation/holding hate on the mob. However he is kind of worthless as a whole pvp wise in comparison to the other ele pets. Greater air has good single target air based bolt spell and a air based AoE that hits, very hard, with a 20s cooldown. However the only tanky pet the elementalist have is Earth, but nothing touched it from the rest of the ele's pets nor necromancer.

Remember however, the pets are different because of many things. Hard to really compare them.

Prophet of Telara

I played an SC/Ele in the last beta. He was a good soloist. Did his job well enough and killed reasonably quickly... the ele tank pet is excellent, though you have to manage him well and it's worth going for the upgrades.

But... (and didn't there have to be a but?), I found storm-caller damage to be a bit on the weak side. On the whole, it felt like I was doing DoT-mage style damage, just with me casting every hit of the DoT to achieve it and no time to cast other stuff, like a DoT-mage has. It was good steady damage - but not the 'strike-mage' type damage that I'd expected from the combo.

I'd also have to say, that I'm more a toe-to-toe style fighter and don't like kiting much at all. The movement speed debuffs on many of the SC's effects, including AoEs, together with the AoEing Air Ele would probably make for a great kiting machine... but it's not really my style. So for me, the movement speed effects weren't really so useful that they transformed my game-play.

He did lay down some good AoE damage though. Between burning ground, the SC AoEs and the Air Ele's AoEs... he could deal some serious damage in groups/rifts. Soloing though, you'd have to take the earth pet - not the air ele. And if you let too much AoE go, then the tank will lose aggro... at least the lesser earth ele did.

I dunno... I think that SC could generally do with a bit more damage in its profile. If that were to be done, then the SC/Ele combo will be great. For now, I found it a little underwhelming... good, solid soloist... but didn't really light my fire.

X

Telaran

This combination was really strong for me, both in pve and pve. single target dps was huge with raging storm for 3 seconds, then a lightnings trike for a big crit and spammed out cloudbursts to finish off.

if anything got close, you just just electrocute(knockback and root) and repeat the above.

AE was even better. especially for pvp. folks tend to group up in pvp and i found i could almost single-handedly break large groups of opponents in those pitched battles that seemed to happen all the time. once you get that AE snare/root in, its all over, just spam out hailstorm, flash freeze and forked lightning into them over and over. sizzle sizzle burrrr.

the pet was just an added bonus

at 50, i would consider this build. Beastly pet, and big dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Daedallus View Post
    at 50, i would consider this build. Beastly pet, and big dmg
    Imo soul feast is must-have as a reaver, no?

+ Reply to Thread