+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Classes with Pets

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Well, the Elementalist can summon elementals to fight for him. If the Grave Lord still exists, it'll be a necromancer who can summon skeletons and things of that nature. As far as an archer-like class with a pet, I dunno. You'll probably see the standard woodland creatures come to his aid like wolves or tigers or spiders. You can pretty much assume anything you want till the class is revealed though.
    It is confirmed that the Ranger is ranged dps with a pet. Abigail was talking about it on todays IRC.

I would love a game where we can gear up our pets, would make me play a pet class forever. It would just add more character customization.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    It is confirmed that the Ranger is ranged dps with a pet. Abigail was talking about it on todays IRC.
    Wasn't it always gonna be like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    I hope the ranger feeds the dam tiger last pic we have seen the poor thing was just skin and bone's.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdynn View Post
    I would love a game where we can gear up our pets, would make me play a pet class forever. It would just add more character customization.
    Even simple things like a leash, and some basic armour for the back and paws would do! In DAO you can get a war dog pet, and there you can equip a leash onto it, and change its "Paint" coloru. Its like a sort of magical armour that increases pets resistance or damage or health. If you could have a humanoid pet [Warlock|Elementalist|Necromancer] then equipping some gear a shield and a sword, or bow and arrows would be a good addition. And as you have said, it would make me play the class forever!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Even simple things like a leash, and some basic armour for the back and paws would do! In DAO you can get a war dog pet, and there you can equip a leash onto it, and change its "Paint" coloru. Its like a sort of magical armour that increases pets resistance or damage or health. If you could have a humanoid pet [Warlock|Elementalist|Necromancer] then equipping some gear a shield and a sword, or bow and arrows would be a good addition. And as you have said, it would make me play the class forever!
    I would love to see something like what Dragons Age did with the dogs warpaint and collar. I have always wanted to see a Necromancer or Warlock that has only one pet, whether it be a skeleton warrior bodyguard (Necromancer) or an Enslaved Demon (Warlock), which can be equipped with weapons and armor. Maybe they could be items that can only be used by the pets, so they are not in competition with other melee class items. I dislike pet classes that have multiple pets as they can never be balanced very well and are also well known for killing frames per second more than killing enemies.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    I dislike pet classes that have multiple pets as they can never be balanced very well and are also well known for killing frames per second more than killing enemies.
    City of Heroes

Mastermind.

Wonderful class with multiple pets.

I'd love to see a Pure Tamer class in Rift. Many, many Ultima Online players loved the pure tamer class in UO and still to this day, 15 plus years later; players still play that old dinosaur 2D single view UO game because no other MMORPG has ever had a tamer class with the tanking or dps ability selection like UO has.

The tamer class toon tames an animal or monster of his adventure skill level/ability and then trains the pets skills by engaging in battles. While in battle, it is the tamers responsibility to keep the pet/pets healed by using veterinary skill with bandages, healing potions, and or learned caster healing spells.

After being tamed, a certain amount of real life weeks of working with and feeding the new pet were required before the pet would bond with the tamer. Bonded pets can be ressurected if they die in battle. Non bonded pets that were only tame would be lost if they died in battle. Pets could only be ressurected by a tamer with high veterinary skill applying bandages.

Pets could be of various varities and numbers to travel with the healer. The bigger and tougher the pet, the fewer the tamer could take with him/her. The tamer looks at the intended targets, decides what pet/pets are needed, and makes the selection. Does he want a tanking pet that would restrict him to one pet for the journey? Mayhaps a group of pets that render high dps using their agility to avoid being hit. Some pets in UO had the ability to cast heal spells if the tamer's health fell below 45%.

Pets not being used were generally stabled at a city stable master npc for a small weekly fee for stall and board. Pets in UO had to be fed to maintain their stamina and to keep them bonded as a pet to the tamer. Each anuimal and monster had its own favorite foods. Animal lore skill tells the tamer what mood the pet is in as well as stat levels, skill levels, etc. In Ultima Online, if the pet goes hungry long enough or the tamer issues to many attack orders over and over during a battle the pet might just go wild and actually turn on the tamer.

Some pets in UO could be ridden by tamers of specific skill levels. This made being a tamer very prestigious and desired. Many animals and monsters in UO came in various colors with the rarer colors being very rare spawns and of course very deired by the tamer class population.

Not all animals and monsters skills and abilities were equal in UO. For starters, once the animal/monster was tamed; it lost a percent of its wild ability and skill from being tamed. The tamer could view the pets stats and start training the skills and abilities in battle. The skills and abilities would never reach or overtake the original skills and abilities level of the animal or monster when it was wild.

In Ultima Online, it took the tamer to use: Taming, Veterinary, and Animal Lore as the main three skills. Your toon in UO could choose between 6 or 7 skills but had a max of 700 skill points to use in total. Some skills would max out at 120 skill level. In Rift, you could start with a Tamer class and then hybrid through the soul tree of skills and ability choices like the other classes do.

There were numerous assortments of tamers in UO including Tamer - Bard - Mages, Tamer - Mage - Treasure Hunters, Tamer Agility - Stealth Assassins, Tamer - Archer - Healers, Tamer - Necro - Tamers, Mage Archanist (spellweaver) - Tamer, Samurai Tamer, Paladin (swordsman) - Tamer, etc.

There are a lot of MMORPG players that were or still are very foond of the Tamer class in UO and would jump on a new MMORPG like a dog on a dropped plate of Bar B Que at a picnic if a new MMORPG like Rift: Planes of Telara were to have a tamer class such as that. hint, hint, hint.
    Last edited by SaltyJim; 07-13-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Ahh the good old days of UO. I remember them foundly. It May be out dated but I personally think there is much that the new games could learn from that game.

Kinda makes me miss the old purple haired Tame/mage I had. Talk about a one man army. Ride into battle on my pure black Nightmare with my White Wyrm in tow.

I like the idea of being able to add armor to a pet. I also think it would be nice to have your pet double as your mount if it is of a certain size. I personally would like to see a white sabertooth tiger decked out in armor like the xarkin prowler mount from Vg. And being able to use it as your fighting pet and your mount.

Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Ahh the good old days of UO. I remember them foundly. It May be out dated but I personally think there is much that the new games could learn from that game.

Kinda makes me miss the old purple haired Tame/mage I had. Talk about a one man army. Ride into battle on my pure black Nightmare with my White Wyrm in tow.

I like the idea of being able to add armor to a pet. I also think it would be nice to have your pet double as your mount if it is of a certain size. I personally would like to see a white sabertooth tiger decked out in armor like the xarkin prowler mount from Vg. And being able to use it as your fighting pet and your mount.

Nemesis

Aye on all accounts. Cant recall how many times I wished my bear pet on my Vanguard shaman had armor for battle as he was tanking a mob for our group.

Most MMOs today could learn a lot from the mistakes and accomplishments Ultima Online went through. Especially the tamer skills. That game is still going after 15 plus years mostly due to tamer skills and customization of housing with 1,000s of items to decorate the house with. Socializers love the customization of UO houses and live in UO because of it when they are online. Most have 3 or more player accounts and have been there 7 or more years. Some have been there from the beginning.

Yeah I was there ffor Seven years and it is where I met my wife LadyC as she will be known on these boards so far I thingk she has only 1 post under the introductions on page 64.

Nemesis
    Last edited by Nemesis; 07-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Still hoping that a class develops in Rift that has taming, healing skills and that it isn't just all going to be pocket pets or summoned pets like many other MMOs including Vanguard.

Well, elementalists and rangers are supposed to have pets, but it would be nice if warlocks could get some sort of pet to use from the plane of death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7