+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Classes with Pets

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Yeah. They referred to the class card you'd get as both a Necromancer and a Grave Lord in different interviews. I just stick with Grave Lord since it sounds cooler.

And I'd back the idea of a Beastmaster. Ranged pet classes are neat... but melee? Way cooler.
    Im not 100% certain theyre still doing the card idea since they are releasing info on actual classes. Before they were just talking about 4 archtypes and under those you could loot these card like "grave lord" and that would give you those types of abilities. Now theyre talking more specific classes like an elementalist. Really hard to tell because as those of us who have played mmo's a long time know, the things we are told and what actually comes out at release are often 2 different things. IE the inquisitor in VG, never made it live. Sorcs were supposed to use the elements, combine them to produce their spells, that also changed to what sorcs in VG are today.

Quote Originally Posted by dallammarr View Post
    Im not 100% certain theyre still doing the card idea since they are releasing info on actual classes. Before they were just talking about 4 archtypes and under those you could loot these card like "grave lord" and that would give you those types of abilities. Now theyre talking more specific classes like an elementalist. Really hard to tell because as those of us who have played mmo's a long time know, the things we are told and what actually comes out at release are often 2 different things. IE the inquisitor in VG, never made it live. Sorcs were supposed to use the elements, combine them to produce their spells, that also changed to what sorcs in VG are today.
    I'm 100% certain they are not doing the card idea. In essence they have a similar system, using the souls of felled bosses and other powerful creeps. The thing they took out, as far as we can gather from interviews and the like, was the ability to "freeform multi-class", meaning it is very unlikely you will be able to swap between one of the four main roles as was the original idea. Although this saddens me greatly, I think I can live with it.

Anyway, back on topic, I really, really want a mélee Beastmaster class. Nuff said.
    i <3 tbroc

Plane Touched

2 EQ1 Beastlords, 3 WoW Hunters and 1 EQ2 Beastlord*

My name is Ather, and I'm a melee pet class fan.

*Oh that's right they didn't have one. I hope the person responsible for that decision is not at Rift. I have access to addresses and a grudge that makes High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer look like a rank amateur with a post-it note.

I am with ya all on this. Every single pet class is fun. But if we are looking for innovation, that might be pretty hard to redefine how to make player pets do something different.

But...EQ1 Necromancer = best pet class ever!

I would love to see a pet class that is more about building up your pet throughout the fight, or as another option, you could steal your pet's stats to empower your own. Maybe a melee DPS; I think ranged would be too typical.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I don’t know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don’t want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I would love to see a pet class that is more about building up your pet throughout the fight, or as another option, you could steal your pet's stats to empower your own. Maybe a melee DPS; I think ranged would be too typical.
    I like that idea. Have th Beastmaster almost as animalistic as his pet and attack with hand weapons like claws, while drawing on the feral fury of his pet. Cool.
    i <3 tbroc

What would be nice and unique - is a druid-like healer pure healer class who does a majority their dps with their customizable (down to being able to switch equipment on them for resists, etc) animal pet.

I'm hoping for something akin to an engineer which would suit the Defiant theme.
    He/she could potentially be a pet class that has a big metal construct (golem or such) or builds things like turrets.

I do like pet classes but only if they have one pet, I do not like classes that mass an army on their own and move around in big giant crowds. I just don't like that.
    Also, what sadly a lot of specialized pet classes have is that the hero becomes almost obsolete, the pet being more powerful than the character controlling it and this could make the class really boring to play. Like if you go a summoner in Diablo 2 (Druid) you are hardly doing anything while your pets tear everything up. Snooze fest if you ask me.

I would like to see something a little different, some kind of tank pet class, giant 2hand wielding guy in full plate, with a weasel that flies out of his belt pouch, and scurries over your enemies (read debuff/dot) lol. Err well or something that could be you know cooler and more effective. I would like to see a pet class, like a beast tamer, that lets you pick a focus pet or totem animal, and bases your pet line off your choice or what creature you adopt. Shaman class with the ability to pick their spirit totem would be cool, or a beastlord/beastmaster type that can beast tame as well as having it's usual choices of static pet.

Rhanin

Tamers in UO...awesome, where not only could you tame very different types of animals with very different stats and attacks, you had to train them too...oh and when they died...they died and you had to go retame another one. The WoW equivalent was never as exciting, especially when they then took away the individual "personalities" of pets and put them into 3 types....so whatever you tamed definitely wasn't unique and you ended up just going for the "skins" of each type rather than the skills.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

I am a fan of the BST class form ff11 you go out and tame Mob x and use it to fight.

That been said you could fail to charm it and have it come racing over to stomp all over you but that was part of the fun along with the random timer for how long it would stay charmed at any second it could turn on you.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Winwin View Post
    What would be nice and unique - is a druid-like healer pure healer class who does a majority their dps with their customizable (down to being able to switch equipment on them for resists, etc) animal pet.
    I think I'd play that class.

I could also see that working really well with an empath type healer, but I think the druid-type you've suggested is more likely for this game though maybe not necessarily with typical "animal" pets. We've seen what comes through rifts from the life plane. It's all forest-type stuff. And the race description for the tree-hugging High Elves describes them as masters of healing.

A mage class which focuses on life plane magic might have plant or faerie pets and be excellent healers?
    Last edited by Eldran; 05-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    Tamers in UO...awesome, where not only could you tame very different types of animals with very different stats and attacks, you had to train them too...oh and when they died...they died and you had to go retame another one. The WoW equivalent was never as exciting, especially when they then took away the individual "personalities" of pets and put them into 3 types....so whatever you tamed definitely wasn't unique and you ended up just going for the "skins" of each type rather than the skills.

Hehe, killer chickens! Those were the days. I miss old UO.

Prophet of Telara

Well I'm quite happy that they have already guraneteed the Elementalist and that they will have an elemental pet drawn from the planes.

The fact that there are 6 elemental planes that appear to have been confirmed from the lore makes me wonder how the summoning of pets will work in conjunction with the elementalist and other pet classes. The 6 elemental planes are life, death, air, fire, water, and earth, and I suspect elementalists can summon from air, fire, water and earth. The earth pet seems to have been confirmed from the screenshots and the picture on the class page.

Does this means that someone will be able to call pets from the planes of life and death? A necromancer would surely call denizens from death, so does that leave a class to pull from the plane of life? Could this be a beastlord of sorts who calls living creatures from life?

As for making the pet class all about the pet and not the mage then I think they might have this covered. As it says under weaknesses:

Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness, for an Elementalist without their summoned minions is just a frail scholar with minor magic at their disposal.
    That makes me think that Trion are going to put the emphasis on the pet. How they might do this I'm not sure, but perhaps something akin to WoW. Didn't Blizzard have a method where by a hunter's pet could taunt an enemy and that enemy would be forced to attack the pet. EQ2 had similar pet taunts but I don't know if they would have worked in PvP. I'm sure WoW's did but it's been a long time since I played.

In addition to this you could have mechanisms which blur the mage from the view of enemies so that they physically can not be attacked. This could be an ability the elementalist, or another class, casts or it could be something cast by the elementalist's pet to protect its master/mistress. In fact I like that idea.

I wouldn't expect a melee based pet class or a necromancer to have exactly similar abilities, but maybe limited forms. I do think a necromancer should be better able to damage an opponent by himself and his pet should be weaker than an elementalists (who we have been told is weaker than his or her pet), or they could even have small armies of skeletons instead of one pet. That would give the two classes something different to offer. A beastlord would already have something different because they would be joining in in melee combat.

We have to remember that this game seems to have an aire of PvP about it so pets need to work in PvP. The EQ2 conjuror was a great class that I loved a lot, but I think it would have been very unsuited to PvP. Maybe someone who PvPed in EQ2 would argue with me about that, but I can't see how the conjuror could protect themselves with what I thought were weak control abilities compared to other classes. They were great when it came to using a pet to taunt in PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    In addition to this you could have mechanisms which blur the mage from the view of enemies so that they physically can not be attacked. This could be an ability the elementalist, or another class, casts or it could be something cast by the elementalist's pet to protect its master/mistress. In fact I like that idea.

I wouldn't expect a melee based pet class or a necromancer to have exactly similar abilities, but maybe limited forms. I do think a necromancer should be better able to damage an opponent by himself and his pet should be weaker than an elementalists (who we have been told is weaker than his or her pet), or they could even have small armies of skeletons instead of one pet. That would give the two classes something different to offer. A beastlord would already have something different because they would be joining in in melee combat.

We have to remember that this game seems to have an aire of PvP about it so pets need to work in PvP. The EQ2 conjuror was a great class that I loved a lot, but I think it would have been very unsuited to PvP. Maybe someone who PvPed in EQ2 would argue with me about that, but I can't see how the conjuror could protect themselves with what I thought were weak control abilities compared to other classes. They were great when it came to using a pet to taunt in PvE.
    Could all ways add a buff that come's on by it self that if the pets master is attacked it will Enrage his pet so you can not longer over look it as it will get a large buff to attack power and maybe mini stun you now and then so you have to think about the risk.

If you attack the pet first the master might get away if you attack the master first the pet might kill you when it has gone enraged.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast