+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Saboteurs

Default Calling all Saboteurs

If you have played a Saboteur in any of the betas, please post here with your experiences. A little bit of forum searching did not uncover much information for me.

Is it a viable way to level? Can the dps compare to the other rogue classes? Or is this a good choice as your 2nd/3rd soul?
    What did you like / dislike about it?

Soulwalker

The Saboteur is an interesting class, It's an offhand weapon specializing class and has a defensive feel to it. None the less it preforms very well it can do good as the backbone to a build or the accessory it depends on your play style.

This class has to be looked at from the perspective of a ranged class, but doesn't fail utterly when it comes to close quarters combat like most ranged classes do.

In my opinion is Saboteur is going to be used at the primary soul, the bard class compliments it pretty well. I would also suggest adding a class like Blade dancer in the mix to increase your evasion so that when you are ambushed you not only have the tools at your disposal to get out but you can evade the attacks.

Example builds:
    Primary Saboteur

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...19,5_&lang=eng

I played a Saboteur part of the last 2 beta events, and I quite enjoy it. It's not a no-brainer class, and requires some thinking to master it, which I find quite fun. To anyone looking for a bit more of a challenge when it comes to mastering a class, I really recommend the Saboteur.
    In game characters in beta: Warskel (Mathosian Warrior), Rathu (High Elf Mage), Mairerit (High Elf Cleric), Adrivia (Mathosian Rogue)

I have been playing it for all the betas now and love it the mechanic is new to me but it plays out alot like a ranged version of my EQ2 swashie. There are a few aggro issues when I crit in a group since you are backloading dmg with a spike I have stole it a few time but nothing a tank couldn't snap back. I am running sab/asn/rng at the moment taking in 10 crit from asn and ranger I did mix it with a bard and that was ok but dmg is much higher with this spec. The ranger pet for now works nicely solo but that won't last long as ranger pet caps at 30. For live I will most likely go pure sab 51 points it's a nice class but the only thing I found was there wasn't alot of cynergy with other souls to make me spread my points out.

There is more thought involved I feel like instead of spamming your highest hit it has some great debuffs and aoe dmg when used correctly. Having alot of fun with it I have always felt though this class was going to be the answer to my swashie (whom I have adored for the last 6 years).

I personally love the Saboteur. For me it feels very different to the other Rogue souls but can compliment the others very well.

I also noticed, when playing beta, i found it much easier to land charges (on higher level mobs) than any of my marksman attacks. Allowing me to participate in the events even though i was a bit low.

It seems a bit tough to start with, but once you figure out what you are doing and have a strategy its a "blast" to play.

Nothing quite compares to loading your target with charges, hitting the detonate button and watching the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anceciaus View Post
    It's an offhand weapon specializing class and has a defensive feel to it.
    Eh? I tihnk you have saboteur mixed up with bladedancer or something. Saboteur doesn't have a single ability having to do with offhand weapons, nor does it have any defensive abilities.

Saboteur is a nuking rogue that specializes in AoE damage and has some slows and roots for crowd control.

It is super fun and has the potential to be extremely devastating. It's a pretty unique playstyle in that your attacks do no damage, no damage, no damage and then BOOM, huge nuke. It can be comboed with many classes for many styles... comboed with Bard/Ranger/Assassin you can build around your nuke damage (sab as main soul), wihle comboed with Ranger/Marksman you can build around kiting, crowd control and general ranged damage (sab equal or 2nd soul).

see my signature for more infos.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Plane Touched

I played a Sab for one day of the beta (the last day), just to try out the Rogue Calling and it sounded different. I've never really been a fan of Rogues in MMOs, but for the sake of testing I rolled one up. The Sab looked different enough that it could prove interesting. To my surprise, it was much more fun than any other character I had previously tested.

The main mechanic of the Sab is to plant Charges on an enemy, from range, and then use Detonate to blow them up. It's fairly simple and results in some very nice damage spikes. For added survivability you get the Adhesive Bomb early on, which allows for some decent kiting. I skimmed through the Soul Tree and decided to get Silent Setup as fast as I could, which made soloing a snap. Plant multiple charges before Detonating and thus have most enemies below 50% HP before they are even aware of you. The other nice thing is that the Charges have no cost as long as you are not in combat, so with Silent Setup you can plant 5 charges and Detonate for free (since you have 5 combo points), allowing you a full energy bar once the enemy is alerted to you.

I did make some grievous mistakes in the L5-10 range as I misread the description of the Charges, so as I started playing with my other two Souls, Riftstalker and Bard, I was using more of their combo builders and then using Detonate, thus missing out on the damage from the Charges. It didn't really click until I was re-reading everything. Once I did that, my DPS came back up.

I continued to focus on the Sab and it has some very nice tools for kiting, specifically the Adhesive Bomb and Caltrop Charges. Stack 5 Caltrops for a 50% snare and then throw down an Adhesive Bomb to make sure that they can't get to you before you set up the next set of Caltrops. This allowed me to kite an invading boss around in circles until we had some solid tanks show up and grab the aggro. I will admit that Shadow Shift did help in staying far enough ahead of the boss, since I had to do a wide circle strafe to plant charges while running.

The only issue I really ran into was that it takes so long to plant charges on enemies that if you are on a team or fighting a Rift, you can easily waste charges because the enemies die before you can Detonate. This isn't as much of an issue on the Elites, and is not an issue at all on the really big Elites (from invasions). Another thing to remember is that, depending on the Charges you are using, you can easily pull aggro at any point in the fight if you are not mindful of your aggro. This becomes more apparent as you start using your Bombs and start adding points into things like Increased Explosive Power and Improved Detonate.

I was looking at something like this for my build.
    Last edited by Cyclone Jack; 01-13-2011 at 07:39 AM.

I use it in all of my builds. putting 5 points on the first tier ability give you +15% dex, which is the rogue main stat. plus you get an AOE slow with that.

sab using blast charge THE definition of burst dps. you do almost no dmg for 5 gcd and then you hit like a truck. it is important to note though that spike charge actually does more damage, but its a DOT. if youput enough points in the tree you can get a skill to attach charges out of combat which makes soloing a lot easier.

you can solo with it, but how effectively depends on skill, how many points you have in the tree and playstyle. the easiest strat would be picking up ranger to pair with it for the pet and nuking mobs. and maybe taking riftstalker for melee incase you get adds.

i run asssassin/sab/ranger to solo and i really like the build a lot. for me though sab as noted above mainly for the 15% dex.

Something I never even thought about until someone pointed it out in another thread was charges and combo points are seperate.

Meaning if you took say marksman for deadeye you could silent setup charges also getting five combo points, use deadeye then detonate. you won't get the extra danage from detonate but i believe deadeye is much more anyway.

so a five point finisher, five blast charge ,and damage from detonate. not bad burst.

I played the sab so little that by the time I tried it , thinking that way never occured to me. can't wait to see what that does for my dsp next time
    Last edited by Gorezin; 01-13-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Shadowlander

Soloing up to level 10 with Saboteur is a bit of a challenge but once you got enough points to spend it starts to get interesting. The main issue with charges when soloing is that they deal no damage so if someone tags you mob before you detonate you won't get xp credit for it.

How they handle Spike Charge vs Blast Charge is also interesting. Spike Charge should be used against targets with relatively low armor values. Blast Charge should be used against high armor value targets due to the ability to ignore 50% of armor. So you stick Spike Charges on Mages and Scouts and Blast Charges on Clerics and Warriors.

I critted 500 easy with a full Blast Charge stack at level 14... I mean, there's really nothing more to it. Adhesive Bomb and Charges will be your best friends in PvP.
    Bounty - Nightblade/Assassin/Riftstalker - Deepwood

Koe

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2518,3_2519,5_

This is my build.

I have points in ranger, but not for the pets. It's for the AA passive, stun/root break, and AA haste. Marksmen for passives+survivability+AA Haste, Sabo for most of the DPS.

Basically trying to max out AA speed with a gun for the 25% chance of an extra AA while keeping the DPS of Sabo/Marksmen.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zygwen View Post
    The main issue with charges when soloing is that they deal no damage so if someone tags you mob before you detonate you won't get xp credit for it.
    This is true, but less of an issue when fighting back Rifts. I was getting some really good rewards when doing Rifts due to the high amount of damage done to some of the Elites, as well and tossing out a Chem Bomb for a little bit of wide area AoE damage. Also, dropping a Chem Bomb/Adhesive right before the big elite spawns in is a great way to get the first hit in, just don't do that when 10+ enemies are spawning in. Ouch. For Elites I would usually focus on Spike charges, unless they had a few adds with them in which case I used Shrapnel (as well as Time Bomb). Once the Elite was getting low on health I would switch to Blast since the Spikes wouldn't last their full duration. Haven't messed with Splinter, Concussive or Embers Charges yet, but I can see a use for each of them. Charge Booster will make setups much more interesting as well.

What triggers ranged autoattack? Is is automatic (or automatic on trigger a ranged ability) or do you need to trigger it yourself? I didn't test this myself extensively yet as the content doesn't really demand that I know at low levels. If it's automatic on ranged abilities which Sab abilities will start it up? Setting out of combat charges definitely does not, as if it did, it'd put you in combat.

I have seen melee autoattack trigger once a mob is beating on me, so that's truely automatic, how does ranged autoattack differ, especially when talking about a sabatour main soul?
    However, my firm belief is that the best way they can walk this line [between casual and hard-core] is by heeding the old line, shamelessly paraphrased from a political campaign.... "It's the stuff, stupid".

If you have a ranger or marksman souls activated, you gain a passive ability that triggers ranged autoattacks once you're in combat with a mob. Otherwise you have to manually autoattack.
    Coil - Regulos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast