+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Saboteurs

Soulwalker

Sabo is a purely fast burst calling, in terms of raw DPS, it's probably the 2nd least of the rogue trees (pure bard being lowest pure DPS I'd imagine).

Detonate DOES trigger auto attack, while planting charges doesnt for the exact reason of the silent talent, on the flipside of that, that talent DOESNT work in pvp. Which I think is bugged. (Planting charges in pvp does put you in combat immediately, making current silent setup useless in pvp)

At 27'ish my sabo setup was getting easily 1500 bursts using kelari frenzy on a 5 blast detonate, or it went much higher using 5 dot charges (not instant, but much higher dmg) however after there was no significant dmg for bout 5-6 seconds while setting next bomb up. Shiney numbers, but raw dps wise even melee rogues out do it.

Imo if yer going to do a sabo build for pvp (or even pve really) late end I'd imagine something like this would work very nicely.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...20523151205500

The sabo tree is a little off for where each point goes since thats an old builder, but 51 pts is all talents anyways so thats pretty straight forward. Assasin 7 pts for 5% crit and 4%dmg (most charges/auto attack is physical, headshot aswell from ranger if you use that for opener instead), ranger 5% crit and 4% ranged dmg (this one is untested but I'm pretty sure that'll upgrade yer charge dmgs since their ranged and go off of your ranged weapon for dmg(yes this part is tested, ranged weapon is a dmg determiner for charges/detonate) and then an extra snare is always good. Assasin at 7 pts will also give incapacitate, always good to have and just incaes Trion doesnt want to make silent setup work in pvp, incap then load up bombs. (Used this tactic in pvp, worked nicely) 51pt rapid setup for sabo means 2 uber bursts, 3 attacks so you're still within the 5attack limit for kelari frenzy to give a crit rate bump (more chance for bigger boom)

Also, on a side note for sabo, 5 shrapnel charges + annihil bomb = Very unhappy crowd.

One more side note for those min/maxers, you can load up bombs on multiple targets before detonating (4 charges on a 2nd or 3rd target, 5 charges on first target, blow first up, target next, throw another charge, blow, next target charge, blow. 2nd targets will have a small detonate boom, but all 5 charges will do normal dmg. Good for pve AOE killing ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Oktai View Post
    My questions however are this. Can charges be planted in melee range? Also, does planting charges remove you from stealth?
    Yes and yes. Charges can be planted point blank and charges will remove you from stealth even with Silent Setup.

SIN/SAB is good for ganking.

Quote Originally Posted by Deistroy View Post
    SIN/SAB is good for ganking.
    You can sap prey then load them up with charges and a timebomb.

This will be the first MMO I'll actually play a "Rogue-type" class.
    Saboteur and Bard are both something totally different from the typical rogues and rift even has a tanking soul for rogues aswell!

Plane Touched

Sabo is all about the BIG KABOOM but "fast" damage is relative I suppose You will kill faster with almost every other Rogue combo. The one thing it does well though is how to describe this "back load" I guess instead of front loading damage you have to build up for the big fireworks show. Which makes it slower.

Full spec Sabo Vs my Full Assassin

I'd have corpses in front of me as an Assassin before I even finished building up charges with my Sabo.

The SaboSassin is a pretty funny combination

i think it would be so much fun playing a SaboSassin in warfronts, you just hide behind people planting your charges on enemy clerics then when their health it low you donate for fireworks lol

a "bang" for your buck
    Last edited by Kwerd; 01-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post

Detonate DOES trigger auto attack, while planting charges doesnt for the exact reason of the silent talent, on the flipside of that, that talent DOESNT work in pvp. Which I think is bugged. (Planting charges in pvp does put you in combat immediately, making current silent setup useless in pvp)
    Why would SS be bugged for PvP? It's clearly a PvE only passive. Threat has nothing to do with PvP.

I was planning on trying a Bard/Saboteur hybrid. Could be interesting, right?

On my rogue, I went main sabo with splash of assassin for stealth and ranger for pet. I loved the class, even though it may not sound like it at first.

I found the early levelling to be pretty poor compared to my other characters that I tried. In most cases, I just played as a gimpy ranger even though I kept building the sabo and assassin trees. Eventually, I got a few more charge and bomb types and started going pure sabo, I could put away the bow finally. Once you get silent setup, everything changes and the sabo class really begins, imo.

Pve sorta becomes a bit of a joke in the teens and early 20's (far as I got) as mobs won't aggro while you set up. It's really easy to make a 1 button macro that sets up all your charges, blows em, throws a time bomb then sends your pet into tank (followed by a wait and round 2 of charges etc if you really wanted). So, pve becomes a repeated single button affair, unless you start getting adds. For small fights, you'll never get hit. It's kind of a shame as the sabo has great utility in different bomb types and traps etc, but for levelling and farming, its stack your charges, detonate repeat more or less. If you do run into varied situations, you may have a trick in your bag for that situation, and being able to set charges on mobs while out of combat is an almost overpowered, but slow, pve ability for levelling content. However, once you are in combat, all those charges will sap your energy quicker than a warlock.

In rifts, even though you want to use the awesome AE abilities that you get, its often a better idea to single target destroy enemies to avoid multiple mob aggro. That having been said, on trash, or situationally, you can really let loose and unleash explosive AE goodness. Too often tho, I found myself kiting groups of elites around the player mob gathered around a rift, chain AE snaring and praying for the friendly heal, or brave AE tank. Fair warning while using those delicious sabo AE's.

In PVP, it was good and bad, mostly really fun. AE snare followed by AE damage is very nice for supression or CC. Traps and bombs can be useful too. The down side is that you cant set up your charges on a target the same way you do in PVE as you'll lose energy right away, and players have a tendency to move around a lot, or attack you if you throw things at them. Anyhow if you can get a stack set up, it can be very fun to see someone go from full health to oh shooot Im about to die. That's when you AE snare em, if you didnt include a snare charge in your setup already. I found myself on top of damage charts, but it was often hard to seal the deal and get the kill due to the charge mechanic. I found hiding out in a sneaky spot and playing supression / disruption with ae and cc was a ton of fun.

I enjoy the sabo, but think the setup mechanic is a little clunky at times. BUT a nice big crit and watching a mob go BOOM is pretty satisfying. It's also different from a lot of other typical classes on the surface, which is a nice change of pace.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by VampireCactus View Post
    I was planning on trying a Bard/Saboteur hybrid. Could be interesting, right?
    I also going to do this build but sab going to be main with few points in bard for some minor healing and support. Anyone else got suggestion for third soul, was thinking ranger for pet to tank to help leveling or riftstalker for maybe so defensive stats but nopt sure if it will be useful with bard support...any suggestions?

Plane Touched

I went with Rift for the Shift, which is a great GT*O ability and can help with kiting. Getting 10 points in there gets you a 15% boost to End, which works well with the Bard's +10% HP. 3 more points boosts your self heals by 30% too. That's what I did, YMMV.
    Last edited by Cyclone Jack; 01-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.

I have actually been playing around with a NB/Sab/Asn spec on the calculator I would have to give up ranger 5 crit but some of the finishing damage and the fact that nb get alot of ranged attacks more that I thought would kind of work. Anyone tried sab with nb at all I was doing sab/asn/rng but you lose the pet at 30 anyways. Should also say I have been playing my sab as mostly a ranged class with nothing into traps.

Shadowlander

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...19,5_&lang=eng

This is what I will go imo, energy plays an important role on having sabo to keep up with those burst dps as much as possible and that is when "Blazing fury" of nightblade comes in , every 5 combo gives you back 25 energy ( 5 energy x 5 combos ) not a lot but it keeps you going for as long as you are on the attack constantly ( ever realize it that you always land 5 charges ) and end up waiting just that few 'mili seconds' to recover the energy to continue with the second round of charges ?

Energy plays an important role in my opinion, and also "Coupe de Grace" gives you an additional 15% dmg from finishers and that includes "Detonate" 15% can be quite a burst when your dmg starts kicking in.

Assassin's skill tree compliment Sabo quite a bit as well, 5% increased critical chance, 2% physical dmg, not too sure if it's a bug but yes the skill for assassin " Serrated Blades" actually works for sabo crits, that gives you some extra dmg 300% weapon dmg over 6 seconds whenever you land a crit * stacks to 3 , that can come up to a substantial amount of damage *. Blinding powder from assassin can gives you some extra chance to get away in danger silent footsteps to negate the -30% of stealth and so you can stealth and get away on your normal walking speed. 30 seconds can cover you quite some distance i think. ** Dumped 1 point into Cruel Vengence for some extra dmg buff **

Sabo skill tree should be quite clear cut so not much explanation needed there, got the ones that are most essential.

stealth --> incapacitate --> load 5 charges --> throw a timebomb --> detonate --> cast blind --> load 5 more charges -> detonate.

if these skill rotation don't kill. throw adhesive bomb on and run while regen and then go with --> load charges --> detonate --> repeat
    Last edited by Yuur; 01-14-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2518,3_2519,5_

This is my build.

I have points in ranger, but not for the pets. It's for the AA passive, stun/root break, and AA haste. Marksmen for passives+survivability+AA Haste, Sabo for most of the DPS.

Basically trying to max out AA speed with a gun for the 25% chance of an extra AA while keeping the DPS of Sabo/Marksmen.

i really like this build. AA dpsing while charging if works also

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast