+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best AOE Class?

Default Best AOE Class?

I have not been in beta yet, so I only know what I read.

I read the Cabalist is good at AOE, but it takes a long time to get things off, I also read about the Saboteur, but I dont think thats the class for me.

Anyway, is there other classes that do well AOE wise? I ask this, because one thing I always like to do is farm things and PL friends. Nothing better than AOE for this.

Thanks

You may want to look at Stormcaller and Pyromancer as well.

Also, consider when in the game you are looking for this. Many other souls get strong AoE attacks, but later on in their careers.

Saboteur, Stormcaller, Pyromancer and Cabalist.

EDIT: Those are in no order, I cannot give an honest opinion on which is best. From what I've heard Pyromancer and Saboteur are near the top while Cabalist follows in third with Stormcaller sitting in last.
    Last edited by Paramount; 01-13-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Many warrior souls have some sweet AoE capabilities, most notably Riftblade, Champion and Void-Knight. Reaver looks promising on paper but as of now, its damage just looks a bit too low, time will tell how they scale with more levels. I can see many warrior soul-combinations become serious AoE powerhouses with little downtime if specced for it.

Elementalist/ Pyro

i.e this build.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...16,5_&lang=eng

Burning Ground & Firestorm on top of each other.

Anlyon Cleric Deepstrike
    Death pays all debts

Soulwalker

Default 10% more crits for Air/Water - that does make sense :)

i will try to find out if GCD let to keep 'Charged Field' up in this build... It could be very nice AoE (and you can use Charge to increase damage - by 'Static Flux')

('Hailsorm' --> 3 x 'Forked Lightning' ---> 'Arctic Blast' ---> 'Burning Ground' (optional) --> 'Static Flux' (optional) ---> 'Lightning Field' (upgraded by 'Charged Field') --> and if GCD will let... Crazy AoE then by 'Lightning Storm' + permanent 'Charget Field' on next ~7-8 seconds ... still need to test )

(btw... 'Cold Weather training' upgrade all water-based skills cast time - so any water spells need just 2 sec to cast instead 2,5; and 'Lightning Mastery' increase Air damage +1% for each rank - that's for 4th beta)

P.S. ops sorry: +10% crit chance just for Air, no water... whatever, still awesome )
    Last edited by Sergnsk; 01-13-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Shadowlander

could theoritcally call a necro/warlock aoe as necro's do get an aoe spell but you can just cycle through targets popping you instant dots on them?

not sure hoe viable it is with mana etc and is obviously not a simple aoe'er but can get damage spread through several targets relatively well.

Also i think chloro's have the ability to spread their spores but as previously mentioned is higher up the soul tree

Thanks for the feedback

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Anlyon View Post
    Elementalist/ Pyro

i.e this build.

Burning Ground & Firestorm on top of each other.
    I see my build being something like this

But I am still not 100% if should spend a further 4 points in Elementalist to get the greater water elemental.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by morphiushell View Post
    ...to get the greater water elemental.
    This pet is for PvP completely
    For PvE - G.Air (with spelldamage buff)

So if you want use this build for PvP - you may desire the Water Elem (silence, snare...)

I would really like to know more about cabalist. There cast times are insane but I wonder if they are better as you get deeper in the tree. I like to play classes that are a little less popular and I haven't heard much about cabalists.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainClegg View Post
    I would really like to know more about cabalist. There cast times are insane but I wonder if they are better as you get deeper in the tree. I like to play classes that are a little less popular and I haven't heard much about cabalists.
    There are no abilities within the Cabalist tree to decrease the casting times of the Sigils at all. There is a talent that will decrease the casting time of Bound Fate and Howling Death, but that's about it. Right now, Cabalists seem too slow to function in any capacity outside of possibly raiding where bosses/elites have enough hit points and defenses that you may actually be able to use your Sigils. The caveat here is that they also apparently draw huge amounts of aggro upon casting and are mana hogs.
    Last edited by Enigmatik1J; 01-13-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatik1J View Post
    There are no abilities within the Cabalist tree to decrease the casting times of the Sigils at all. There is a talent that will decrease the casting time of Bound Fate and Howling Death, but that's about it. Right now, Cabalists seem too slow to function in any capacity outside of possibly raiding where bosses/elites have enough hit points and defenses that you may actually be able to use your Sigils. The caveat here is that they also apparently draw huge amounts of aggro upon casting and are mana hogs.
    This is disappointing. Maybe this soul is designed as a secondary soul like the archon or warlord. I was really looking forward to a aoe class that wasn't a mage.

I played a Lock in beta 3 and 4. Lock's have great AoE - Devouring Shadows is channeled ability that does crazy dmg and builds charge. It does burn a good bit of mana but at that point, when your charge is full, you have another AoE ability called Mortality, which is another AoE channeled spell that uses the charge you've just built up with your DS. Later in tree, you get an ability that allows you to spread two of your DoT's to all mobs. So for trash pulls I'm thinking Dark Touch and Neddra's Grasp (the 2 DoT's that you can spread), Radiate Death (the spell that lets you spread your DoT's), spam DS, then when charge is full, hit Mortality. Should throw up huge numbers

If I decide not to try a cabalist I will probably go warlock is there any decent builds that doesn't include the necro soul? I hate pet classes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast