+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A advance dedicated guide to The Marksman

Soulwalker

Default A advance dedicated guide to The Marksman

The MARKSMAN

A advance dedicated guide to this soul

The Marksman Soul: Is a high damage dealing range with the added bonus of mobility and kitting. Of all the ranged classed I’ve played in many MMO’s this has to be by far my most favorite one. I will go into great detail about this Soul for a solo PvE build and Warfront PvP build.

Please remember that all the following information is based off of my playing experience from beta-1 through beta-4 levels 1 – 27 and about 20 platinum invested in re-specs!

1) The Rogue calling: Has many great set ups for some nasty DPS, be it range, melee, Heals or even a Tank with very high survivability. Out of this calling there are 8 souls which include: Assassin, Bard, Blade Dancer, Night blade, Ranger, Rift stalker, Saboteur and finally the Marksman.

The Marksman is a very squishy class and is not meant for just anyone. You must have a very good skill rotation for PvP when using this class, as you only get 100 energy and it only recharges when not using skills so spamming skills will really hurt your DPS in the long run. The Marksman also has something that’s called a (Dead Zone) what this means is that he will not be able to use most of his skills in melee range. Most of the skills the Marksman has are range 3 to 30 yards , so any thing that is 1 to 2 yards in front of you can’t be shot with a skill that requires 3 to 30 range. One thing this class has is some really nice burst damage that can leave your enemy close to dead if not already dead.

MARKSMAN vs RANGER

The Marksman: relies on his skills and constant damage without getting into melee range from mobs or enemies, because of his mobility, knock back moves and kitablility it should be easy to avoid any close combat and you should always be on the move. If you start at max range the mob should die before it even gets to you. Again a very good skill rotation is a must have when playing this class in PvP.

The Ranger: is a pet relying class that uses range skills. The simple fact is the ranger will never do as much damage as the Marksman in skills. A lot of people have the misconception on this simply because they are both range. The ranger relies too much on his pet and it accounts for at least 50% of his DPS.

Solo Play

“For PvE it doesn’t really matter too much on how you would like to build your class using the soul system. You can pretty much get a feel for it and choose skills that feel right for you.” Here is a breakdown on a PvE build that worked for me, so this will give you an understanding on what to look for and some things you might want to think about when picking skills.

Souls that were use:
    • Marksman = DPS
    • Ranger = Pet Tank + 5% Critical Chance
    • Assassin = Debuffs, Poison Damage & + 5% Critical Chance

1) Marksman: You will go semi-deep into this soul and maximize the damage from skills. You won’t really need a good rotation when playing this class for the PvE aspect but it does help, simply because you will have a pet tanking for you and won’t need to worry about taking damage unless your pet pulls agro from surrounding mobs.
    2) Ranger: You’ll take this class for the pet to tank for you, having a pet to soak up all the damage so you can constantly DPS means less down time and less down time means faster exp. You’ll also take this class for the complementary skills that work with the Marksman. Your rotation should look something like this:

1. Swift Shot
    (A ranged attack that deals weapon plus to to 7 Physical damage and increases movement speed by 3% for 10 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times. Using any Finisher removes the effect. Awards 1 Combo Point. )
    2. Empowered Shot
    (A powerful ranged attack that deals weapon plus 33 to 35 Physical damage. Awards 2 Combo Points.)
    3. Splinter Shot
    (A deadly ranged attack that causes the target to bleed for weapon plus 24 physical damage over 10 seconds. Awards 2 combo points.)
    4. Deadeye Shot
    (A deadly ranged Finished that deals weapon plus Physical damage. Energy cost is reduced with more Combo Points. Damage bonus from Attack Power is increased with more Combo Points.)

By the time you use Deadeye Shot you should be able to start the rotation over, but the mob should be dead by the time you need to use Deadeye again.

3) Assassin: Your going to take this class only for its 8th skill point which is: (Lethal Poison)
    This will add a debuff to anything that you attack giving you another 5% Critical Chance on top of the 5% Critical Chance you will get for putting 5 points into (Ruthlessness). You’re also going to get another poison that you will add to your weapon, both of these poisons last 1 hour and work on ranged weapons. Don’t put anymore points into this soul as it would be a waste.

PvP Play

This is the exact spec used in PvP at level 27. You will get a total of 36 Skill points at level 27. This is the brake down of the build using skill points:

1. Marksman = 26 Skill Points
    2. Assassin = 8 Skill Points
    3. Rift stalker = 2 points

The reason for the 2 points in Rifts talker soul is basically because you can only add as many points into the soul as your current level. If you put anymore in the Assassin soul it would be a waste of skill points.
    Souls that were use:

• Marksman = DPS & Mobility
    • Assassin = Debuffs, Poison Damage & 5% Critical Chance
    • Rift stalker for its (0 point abilities) (Shadow Shift)
    or
    • Blade Dancer for its (0 point abilities) (Side Step)

This build is similar to the PvE build but you will not be taking ranger and I’ll explain why. A ranger relies too much on their pet. In order for you to maximize the class you must put points into the soul that will complement the pet. If you spec into the ranger soul to much you will be sacrificing DPS from the marksman soul for a pet that will just get owned in mass PvP and literally die in seconds and in Rift as of right now in beta-4 you do not spawn with your pet after being killed in battle.
    Remember you will always be faster than your opponent and should have no problem keeping the distance between him and you. The skill (Swift Shot) makes this possible and the buff should always be on you with 5 stacks. This will increase your base speed by 15% I wouldn’t recommend getting the (improved Swift Shot) as the 2 skill points can be used better in another area.

Should you ever find yourself in a jam be it rooted or snared this skill is going to be your best friend and something you will use often.

1. On the double
    (Increases movement speed by 70% for 5 seconds.)
    2. Getaway
    (Your On the Double removes Roots and Snares and makes you immune to these effects. Requires On the Double Rank 1.)

Your PvP rotation should look something like this now:

Only open up with (Lighting Fury) if you have the time to use it as it has a 1.5 second cast time. If you must kite skip it and open up with (Barbed Shot) seeing as it’s an instant skill and the enemies take damage every second they move.

1. Lighting Fury
    (The Rogue fires lightning charged projects to 3 enemies including the main target, dealing weapon plus 71 to 75 Air damage. Affected enemies become vulnerable, increasing damage taken by 10% for 10 seconds.)
    2. Barbed Shot
    (A painful ranged attack that deals weapon plus 12 to 15 Physical damage and an addition 20 Physical damage every second the enemy moves. Lasts 6 seconds. Awards 1 Combo Point.)
    3. Swift Shot
    (A ranged attack that deals weapon plus to to 7 Physical damage and increases movement speed by 3% for 10 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times. Using any Finisher removes the effect. Awards 1 Combo Point.)
    4. Empowered Shot
    (A powerful ranged attack that deals weapon plus 33 to 35 Physical damage. Awards 2 Combo Points.)
    5. Swift Shot
    (A ranged attack that deals weapon plus to to 7 Physical damage and increases movement speed by 3% for 10 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times. Using any Finisher removes the effect. Awards 1 Combo Point.)
    6. Deadeye Shot
    (A deadly ranged Finished that deals weapon plus Physical damage. Energy cost is reduced with more Combo Points. Damage bonus from Attack Power is increased with more Combo Points.)

Everything else can be used while moving and you should never really stand still unless A. You can freely DPS someone without the need to kite or B. You are using the skill (Deadeye Shot) that has a 1.5 second casting time or (Empowered Shot) that has a 1.5 second casting time as well. This is the only time when you should ever be standing still.
    The whole rotation takes between 6 to 7 seconds including GCD’s. If you ever find yourself with no energy continue to kite and pop the skill “Hit and Run” So you can continue to auto attack while moving, then when your energy has recovered use 2 instant (Empowered Shot) followed by a instant (Deadeye Shot) The reason why you will only add 4 combo points to the target is because if you were to use a (Swift Shot) you would take up 20 energy and lose 1 second from “Hit and Run” from the GCD witch last only 15 seconds. The skills still consume energy even though they are instant.

if you want to do some hardcore burst damage you’ll pop these skills
    1. Hit and Run
    (A manoeuvre that allows the execute of ranged Auto Attacks while moving, cases Empowered Shot and Deadeye Shot to become instant cast and causes Empowered Shot to have no cooldown)
    2. Bull's Eye
    (Causes the outcome of the next Marksman's damaging ability to be a Critical hit. )
    3. Quick Reload
    (Resets the cooldown of all Marksman abilities.)

-Nv
    Last edited by Ez4u2nV; 01-13-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Soulwalker

You will obviously use (Bull’s Eye) to set up (Deadeye Shot) as it’s your most damaging skill with 5 combo points on the target.

You want to take out healers first like in any PvP MMO. You have an advantage being range to accomplish this. The healer now must choose to keep healing his allies or himself, either way one is going to die. If you have a hard time distinguishing who is a healer and who isn’t, you should focus on any class casting skills as this most likely will be some kind of Mage and you’ll be able to kill him faster than a cleric or warrior, simply because they’re a cloth wearing class. I notice when I critically hit a cloth user, and that of a Chain or plate using class there was about a 15%/20% reduction in damage.

You will notice in this video that when I use “Deadeye shot” on a Cleric or Warrior it critically hits for about 600 to 700 damage. When used on a mage it does 800 to 900 damage. You will also get a feel on how a marksman should be played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6NXhOd7vx8

Keep your distance and know what going on. If you find yourself being focused hit you’re “On the Double” skill and run away or start to kite whatever is on you, using your skill rotation.

That’s it for now; I will be updating this guide in the future and making new guides for some of the other rogue souls. Feel free to leave your comments and feedback Should you copy this guide please at least give me credit. Thanks for reading

-Nv
    Last edited by Ez4u2nV; 01-13-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ez4u2nV View Post
    [CENTER]The MARKSMAN
    3) Assassin: Your going to take this class only for its 8th skill point which is: (Lethal Poison)
    This will add a debuff to anything that you attack giving you another 5% Critical Chance on top of the 5% Critical Chance you will get for putting 5 points into (Ruthlessness). You’re also going to get another poison that you will add to your weapon, both of these poisons last 1 hour and work on ranged weapons. Don’t put anymore points into this soul as it would be a waste.

-Nv
    This is almost comically inaccurate based on current dps spread sheets and predictions. Obviously nothing can be confirmed yet however the projected current top endgame pve build looks something like this. If you are recommending this spec only up to level 27 please clarify.
    Last edited by Thallo; 01-13-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Thallo View Post
    This is almost comically inaccurate based on current dps spread sheets and predictions. Obviously nothing can be confirmed yet however the projected current top endgame pve build looks something like this.
    Your kidding right?

I would take the PvP soul over ranger soul any day. So sadly your wrong if your talking end game as the PvP soul has way better stuff then a hardcore hybrid spec like that, also did you miss the part where I said (My playing experience?)

You obviously didn't read either

"Please remember that all the following information is based off of my playing experience from beta-1 through beta-4 levels 1 – 27 and about 20 platinum invested in re-specs!"
    Last edited by Ez4u2nV; 01-13-2011 at 12:36 AM.

That’s it for now; I will be updating this guide in the future and making new guides for some of the other rogue souls. Feel free to leave your comments and feedback Should you copy this guide please at least give me credit. Thanks for reading

-Nv[/QUOTE]

Fantastic post, thank you so much

Keri
    Femmes Fatales - The Art of the Feminine in the Power of MMOs

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ez4u2nV View Post
    Your kidding right?

I would take the PvP soul over ranger soul any day. So sadly your wrong if your talking end game as the PvP soul has way better stuff then a hardcore hybrid spec like that, also did you miss the part where I said (My playing experience?)

You obviously didn't read either

"Please remember that all the following information is based off of my playing experience from beta-1 through beta-4 levels 1 – 27 and about 20 platinum invested in re-specs!"
    Uh no sorry it is much to late to read a post that long. All I read is what I quoted and it made me laugh. Glad to hear that you only meant through 27.

Soulwalker

Uh no sorry it is much to late to read a post that long. All I read is what I quoted and it made me laugh. Glad to hear that you only meant through 27.
    But never to late to troll I see

Anyways must be nice to link a site and slap points into something and say its the best end game spec, with no explanations at all, and no guide to go with it. Cool beans!
    Last edited by Ez4u2nV; 01-13-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Nice post fun to speculate. I played beta but never got above lvl 14 and I tried all classes. So reading about marksman and the potentials is fun. I look forward to playingnthis class when the game goes live.

Shadowlander

This is almost comically inaccurate based on current dps spread sheets and predictions. Obviously nothing can be confirmed yet however the projected current top endgame pve build looks something like this. If you are recommending this spec only up to level 27 please clarify.
    That build is awful. The projected current top endgame pve build has: Static Shot, Hasty Departure, Repelling Shot, and CQ Combat?

If you want to talk maybes then a build like http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...19,5_&lang=eng probably looks the strongest. Allows you to get nearly everything from Marks & Assassin while getting the Bloodraptor (we'll have to wait to see how pet dmg is) This build also leaves you at 18% crit just from your build which assuming there will be a crit softcap will get you to max or close which will mean there's no need to go further into the marks tree for Killer instinct.

Regarding the OP:

You’ll also take this class for the complementary skills that work with the Marksman. Your rotation should look something like this:

1. Swift Shot
    2. Empowered Shot
    3. Splinter Shot
    4. Deadeye Shot

You start off fights with an instant skill that grants you a movement bonus then use a skill that has a cast time which requires you to stand still. Lets use our brains before trying to make guides ok?
    Last edited by JJeos; 01-13-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Great post OP, i have played all 4 betas so far and got serious about my marksman and pvp in beta 4 but i went marksman/ranger/riftstalker and found your comments on the pet in pvp to be so true. I picked up my pvp soul just before beta 4 eneded lol so for beta 5 will be definetly trying marksman/sin/pvp soul (forgot its name haha) As for pve, strangely enough your rotation is exactly the same as mine hehe but as i stated i had riftstalker instead of sin and imo the blink was pretty useless but cool none the less lol. Thanks for the great work and all your hard earned plat that you put into this, will definetly be taking your advice next beta

Happy Hunting: Skarsha Seastone pvp

Quote Originally Posted by JJeos View Post
    That build is awful. The projected current top endgame pve build has: Static Shot, Hasty Departure, Repelling Shot, and CQ Combat?

If you want to talk maybes then a build like http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...19,5_&lang=eng probably looks the strongest. Allows you to get nearly everything from Marks & Assassin while getting the Bloodraptor (we'll have to wait to see how pet dmg is) This build also leaves you at 18% crit just from your build which assuming there will be a crit softcap will get you to max or close which will mean there's no need to go further into the marks tree for Killer instinct.

Regarding the OP:

You’ll also take this class for the complementary skills that work with the Marksman. Your rotation should look something like this:

1. Swift Shot
    2. Empowered Shot
    3. Splinter Shot
    4. Deadeye Shot

You start off fights with an instant skill that grants you a movement bonus then use a skill that has a cast time which requires you to stand still. Lets use our brains before trying to make guides ok?
    While i agree with you that the other build that guy linked is just plain awful, i think you failed to comprehend some of what the OP was going for. First, he states that he's making a marksman guide, not a ranger. he states that a ranger is too pet reliant to do as well as a marksman in pvp, and i agree with him. Additionally, playing a marksman myself, i use the same rotation he suggests in PvE (except i switch splinter and empowered but that's not too important). You're using swift shot for its combo point and its damage, not its speed buff, and if you're going to criticize, suggest an alternative. (i'd love to hear it because barbed shot is useless if your target stands still and the ranger shot is just lulz)

@OP Overall a pretty good guide for a level 27 MM. I built my marksman diferently though, i took sab instead of assasin in pvp, and nighblade instead of assasin in PvE. One thing i would disagree with though, most of the time it's not worth it to use lightning shot in PvP, it's usually better to just start your rotation ASAP.
    Bubbrubb / Eastern of <Missionary Impossible>

Quote Originally Posted by JJeos View Post
    Do the Assassin soul options like Serrated Blades, which buff your ‘critical strikes’, carry over to ranged attacks, or is it just for melee? I’ve been unclear on this point.

O..K you start with swift shot which is instant and then Empowered shot?
    Well hello there~

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Pipra View Post
    Do the Assassin soul options like Serrated Blades, which buff your ‘critical strikes’, carry over to ranged attacks, or is it just for melee? I’ve been unclear on this point.
    I actually have told myself to test this about 39 times so far and have forgotten to every time. I actually have a post it note of my computer screen reminding me to do it beta 5. It really doesn't matter though, putting 1 extra point into Sin for the extra 5% crit is with it if you're only going 8pt. Going further into the tree will be interesting, seeing if it doesn't benefit you then those 3 points will be a waste but if not then they will be a nice dps boost.

Telaran

so much bad info in this post makes me kinda sad..

ANY pve rogue who isnt takeing 4or 5 in nightblade is hurting there dps greatly..and doing it wrong

ANY pvp rogue not takeing 4-5 nightblade better have some amazeing reason.

i didint use it for pvp marks/ ranger only due to not haveing the points to see it used to effect due to needing 6 in ranger and 27 in marks for 30% off your marks cooldowns, but damn sure it will see use
    once more points free up
    on a side note i did use nightblade for my sabo/ranger pvp(yes the ranged snare is TOPS for rogue pvp) everyone trys to kill you
    10 second cooldown instant cast 50% snare is again amazeing.... hell every class in every MMOG for pvp wants a instant cast 50% ranged snare lol its just that good..

from nightblade 20 or 25 energy returned on a 5 point finisher is massive.. seriously its 1/4th your energy bar.
    it also exstends your burst durring OTR(on the run) letting you get 2 full rotations off.
    2 empower, empower, deadeye on 1 tank of energy
    yes i know thats only 4 point deadeyes but its way better then wasteing energy and a whole combo point for a 5 point deadeye with maybe 40 more base damage

just for a note i used riftjunkies parser for DeepStrike Mines FINAL BOSS, after some basic math my 4 points in night blade returned 1120 energy over a 12 minte fight, thats a EXTRA 56 quickshots

for pvp if your not takeing 6 in ranger again your doing it wrong. the only thing marks lacks for great pvp is a ranged snare witch you get with 6 in ranger in addition to the 5% crit passively always on, you get a instinct buff for about 15-20 attck power aswell

also you state that 8 point in asassin is just for the 5% crit stateing that its "awesome" its a 20% proc for 5% crit for a short durration the 5 points in asassin for 5% crit passivly is better added to the 5% in ranger that you need to take for the snare..
    the poison being 20% chance to applie is much better for DW melee then ranged, due to the number of attacks you throw a second being much higher with DW melee, its not like it has some kind of intenal cooldown its a flat % proc so more attcks= more procs = more uptime= better ability .

though dont take this as a rage post im very glad that you started a thread giveing some information to the public about your fav class.. im just helping that effort out.

i played marks for about 60 hours over the beta 4 weekend, in pvp and i agree its a fun class with alot of potential..

and i cant wait for beta 5 for more marks pvp

PS. i found marks is better on garden being that its tighter quarters with more K I T-ing needed.
    Sabo worked better on codex due to more players and more chaotic, meaning often i can stack 5 charges b4 they even know im on them.

PPS. its KITing not KITEing K I T stands for Kill In Time its a old eq 1 term for killing while running away from, though i get why everyone says Kite cause the mob follows you around like running with kite, though i guess it should be KoT for kill over time like DoT or HoT
    GL HF
    -Punt<ethereal shadows>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast