+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it worth taking "stealth" for a Marksman/Ranger?

Default Is it worth taking "stealth" for a Marksman/Ranger?

Please can I have some advice. One build I am considering is Marksman/Ranger but not sure what to take as third soul. Is it worth making it Assasin so I can take the stealth spell? Or is stealth considered to be unnecessary given its a range rogue? If stealth is a good idea how many points should I put into Assasin soul?
    Last edited by Keridwan; 01-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    Femmes Fatales - The Art of the Feminine in the Power of MMOs

If you're looking for a CC or something viable for soloing, otherwise stick with something that you can use and still have a good rotation. An example would be like Bard.

Plane Touched

First, I must say I am having difficulty figuring out how I will use Inquisitor as a third soul to Marksman / Ranger. To my knowledge, you can not pull souls from another base class, unless something has changed from the last beta I just finished running.

Next I am also having a difficult time locating the Inquisitor's Stealth. I will admit that I am not overly well versed in the cleric area of the game, but I am almsot sure that an Inquisitor doesn't have a stealth. I could be wrong.

Finally, I am going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption. I will assume that you really meant to say assassin as the third soul. If my assumption is correct, then I will tell you that I personally plan on rolling with the assassin as my second soul for my marksman, with ranger being my third soul. The ranger and marksman have too many skills that overlap. The biggest benefit I can see from taking the ranger soul is the crit, plus ranged damage, and the double attack chance on ranged auto attack. Unfortunately you have to spend alot of points to get that auto attack double attack. With the assassin as the second soul, you can literally chain your way to almost the top of the list and can justify every point you spend. Not once will you spend a single point just to get to the next level of skills. You can spend points on relevant items. Furthermore, by doing this, you will also make yourself a viable melee capable dps, if / when your pet dies.

So to answer your orginal question, yes, I think the assassin is a good viable third soul for the Marksman / Ranger, however, I think it is more appropriate as a second soul.

Good Luck
    If a rogue can do it, I do it. If a rogue can't do it, I do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshaII View Post
    Next I am also having a difficult time locating the Inquisitor's Stealth. I will admit that I am not overly well versed in the cleric area of the game, but I am almsot sure that an Inquisitor doesn't have a stealth. I could be wrong.
    You're wrong. The 20 root is called Camouflage and it's a permanent Stealth ability.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's currently the ONLY permanent Stealth ability, but I could be wrong on that fact.
    Last edited by Paramount; 01-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Soulwalker

Next I am also having a difficult time locating the Inquisitor's Stealth.
    Infiltrator (PvP rogue's soul)

he just misspelled it, i guess
    Last edited by Sergnsk; 01-12-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Default Assassin not Inq

damn my bad, sorry, I meant Assasin stealth. oh dear ...
    Femmes Fatales - The Art of the Feminine in the Power of MMOs

The Assassin's Stealth can be talented to be infinite and also the same talent makes you have 0% reduced speed, which rocks, but for marksman you don't have to get close.

Quote Originally Posted by Keridwan View Post
    damn my bad, sorry, I meant Assasin stealth. oh dear ...
    There's really no point on throwing Assassin onto that type of build. Put Bard on and throw points into the support abilities, you won't be disappointed.

Soulwalker

Finally, I am going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption. I will assume that you really meant to say assassin as the third soul. If my assumption is correct, then I will tell you that I personally plan on rolling with the assassin as my second soul for my marksman, with ranger being my third soul. The ranger and marksman have too many skills that overlap. The biggest benefit I can see from taking the ranger soul is the crit, plus ranged damage, and the double attack chance on ranged auto attack. Unfortunately you have to spend alot of points to get that auto attack double attack. With the assassin as the second soul, you can literally chain your way to almost the top of the list and can justify every point you spend. Not once will you spend a single point just to get to the next level of skills. You can spend points on relevant items. Furthermore, by doing this, you will also make yourself a viable melee capable dps, if / when your pet dies.

Good Luck
    Read what this man said, it is the only thing that matters on this entire thread. Marksman/Assasin/Ranger is going to be the endgame pve build. Better to get your rotations down sooner rather than later. (example here)
    Last edited by Thallo; 01-13-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: fixed link

For PVP yes, otherwise no. All those points in a melee tree will hurt your ranged dps and your chance at buffer skills from bard or bombs from sab.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Thallo View Post
    Read what this man said, it is the only thing that matters on this entire thread. Marksman/Assasin/Ranger is going to be the endgame pve build. Better to get your rotations down sooner rather than later. (example here)
    That build is awful, quit tossing it around.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    For PVP yes, otherwise no. All those points in a melee tree will hurt your ranged dps and your chance at buffer skills from bard or bombs from sab.
    I think at least 31 points can be spent in the assassin tree that is useful as either utility or a dps increase even for ranged.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...nts=0&lang=eng

What you get:

Vanish
    Perma stealth
    Increased stealth speed and reduced detection
    5% Crit
    Crits cause 300% weapon damage bleed
    4% physical damage
    10 sec blind
    Crits increase damage by 10% for 10 seconds
    Physical damage of all crits increased 20%
    Poison damage increased by 15% (yes all poisons do proc from bow attacks)
    10% increased chance to proc poisons
    Heal/self dot

Not to mention the base abilities and weapon poisons which proc from your bow. I found the energy regen poison particularly awesome.

During beta I put all my points into assassin and just the remaining 8 or so into one of the two ranged trees (tried both), enough to get a spammable shot and a ranged finisher.

My ranged damage didn't feel any worse than when I tried full marksman or ranger but with this I had permanent stealth.
    Last edited by Kirnan; 01-13-2011 at 05:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread