+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More ROLES in the future?

Default More ROLES in the future?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding it hard to be satisfied with only 4 roles. As a warrior who plans on tanking endgame raids and pvp quite a bit, I'm wishing i had some chance at attaining more role slots. I would like to have like 3 tanks specs, 1 all purpose pve spec, and 2 pvp builds. Which means i'll likely spend a bunch of coin swapping specs.

My thought is this: What if we were offered up to..say..7 role slots. 3 of them purchasable for $10/pc or buy all 3 role slots at once for $25. This is US currency. I would gladly shell out $25 of my hard earned cash to have a shot at that.

I'm sure there are ALOT of people who disagree with purchasable items. I say limit them to roles, server transfers, and even small vanity items like pets. I think it allows players to pick up some extra things or make changes to their game environment at a pace consistent with their budget. Plus, these things don't enhance the character in game.

Maybe even some epic questlines could lead to unlocking a new role. Anyways, thoughts anyone?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Chronobis View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding it hard to be satisfied with only 4 roles. As a warrior who plans on tanking endgame raids and pvp quite a bit, I'm wishing i had some chance at attaining more role slots. I would like to have like 3 tanks specs, 1 all purpose pve spec, and 2 pvp builds. Which means i'll likely spend a bunch of coin swapping specs.

My thought is this: What if we were offered up to..say..7 role slots. 3 of them purchasable for $10/pc or buy all 3 role slots at once for $25. This is US currency. I would gladly shell out $25 of my hard earned cash to have a shot at that.

I'm sure there are ALOT of people who disagree with purchasable items. I say limit them to roles, server transfers, and even small vanity items like pets. I think it allows players to pick up some extra things or make changes to their game environment at a pace consistent with their budget. Plus, these things don't enhance the character in game.

Maybe even some epic questlines could lead to unlocking a new role. Anyways, thoughts anyone?
    I'd rather see them allow a mix match of roles, say allowing 1 cleric soul to be paired with 2 warrior souls, or 2 rogue with 1 mage, etc. that would be interesting. The limitation being you can only put like max 10 points if the soul is from a different role. So basically you can only get a few skills from the off-role soul and of course your weapon and armor types would be limited to the primary role 2 soul types.

That would probably be too hard to balance, but its a interesting idea.

As for only allowing 4 roles, it is entirely possible to build a dual purpose DPS warrior that would do fine in PvE and PvP from what I can tell. Maybe I am missing something. Allowing even the one extra role is more than I expected honestly.

I am all for out of game purchasable items, but they should not allow a player to have a huge advantage over someone else that can only afford the baseline game+sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post

As for only allowing 4 roles, it is entirely possible to build a dual purpose DPS warrior that would do fine in PvE and PvP from what I can tell.
    Believe me when i tell you, serious pvpers will have specialized souls with abilities that won't be useful in a pvp situation. ie healing reduction debuff, movement impairment, etc. I'm talking about that role u mentioned where u could have a pvp/pve soul. Sure you could, but it won't be as effective is my point. More options in the future could open up your repertoire.
    Last edited by Chronobis; 01-12-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Shield of Telara

Believe me when i tell you, serious pvpers will have specialized souls with abilities that won't be useful in a pvp situation. ie healing reduction debuff, movement impairment, etc. I'm talking about that role u mentioned where u could have a pvp/pve soul. Sure you could, but it won't be as effective is my point. More options in the future could open up your repertoire.
    Well from what I understand PvP souls aren't required to do PvP, but they can help. That said making it a pay for option is still not the right course of action because then it gives people with the ability to shell out gobs of money on pixels a distinct advantage over those that cannot afford to shell out.

So even if they do add more switchable roles it would have to be open to everyone. Perhaps they should just make it so that you can have 2 separate 3 role builds. Then you can build 1 for PvE and 1 for PvP and if you want to change from DPS to tanking it makes you respec an entire build or you can choose a PvE DPS / PvE tank if you wanted to and switch between the two.
    Last edited by Maverick494; 01-12-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Mixed classes?

I have never been a PvPer, but I like the idea of more than one class type. I always liked characters that were more versatile. The idea of restricting it to 1 of 3 souls is good, but how to work it if they DO allow more than 3 or 4 souls? And rather than restrict it to 10 points, make it so that after 10 pts, it costs double the normal point cost. Not too many people are going to go much farther than the initial 10 pts, but it does allow the option to have a true dual or multi class character.

Can you say Beastmaster/Champion/Stormwarden? ok so maybe it wouldn't be a great combo, but it would be fun to try!

whoa whoa..ok..i'm not talking about souls. I'm talking about the role preset loadouts. You start with one, can buy your 2nd by level 10 and then later on in the game purchase 2 more to give u a total of 4. I am suggesting allowing additional roles to be purchased maybe in the future. I just want versatility is all. This game is DESIGNED AROUND the soul system. They designed it around options. I love options. I would love even more to have over 4 options. That's all I'm saying. I'll gladly pay it cuz, frankly, I get half a chub thinking about all the options you can have as a player with 7 roles to play with. lol. Anyways, I would vote for it.

Shield of Telara

whoa whoa..ok..i'm not talking about souls. I'm talking about the role preset loadouts. You start with one, can buy your 2nd by level 10 and then later on in the game purchase 2 more to give u a total of 4. I am suggesting allowing additional roles to be purchased maybe in the future. I just want versatility is all. This game is DESIGNED AROUND the soul system. They designed it around options. I love options. I would love even more to have over 4 options. That's all I'm saying. I'll gladly pay it cuz, frankly, I get half a chub thinking about all the options you can have as a player with 7 roles to play with. lol. Anyways, I would vote for it.
    I understand what you are referring to, and anytime you have a pay to be better than someone else who cannot pay out of game currency for in game advantage you wreck the game. So all I am saying is that instead of your idea to get 7 souls, you get two groups of three that you can customize instead of just 4, but you are limited to two groups of three souls. I suppose it would be debatable if you should allow the groups of three to be different roles or not, but if you really want options then allowing you to change roles along with your souls in two groups of three would add even more versatility.

so your primary role and souls are warrior and then your secondary is say cleric. You could choose to then spec the warrior into DPS and the cleric to heal and switch out as you feel like. Or you could build warrior PvE and warrior PvP OR warrior pve dps and warrior pve tank. It gives you some more options, but instead of basically allowing you to pick up every single soul there is in different builds, it still makes you pick a template of DPS, tank or healing in groups of three.

the other poster was commenting on my suggesting that they allow basically dual-classing with lots of limitations.

Yeah, what you are talking about will likely never happen as it would break the game. A warrior calling with like a sentinel soul would be impossible to kill and would create huge balance issues. I'm not a big fan of healers wearing plate lol.

They already announced that you can have up to 4 roles. Whether I pay for additional role slots is irrelevant, I would just like to see an option that allows you to have more than 4 is all.

Rift Disciple

Need more roles?

If this were a traditional MMO, the total class make up that is being fielded is equal to 32 different classes...... !!

The game already has a ton of flexibility in terms of developing your character. But Trion isnt going for 100% freedom. You can't, currently, make a character that combines Warrior and Cleric Souls for example. As earlier posters stated that would be even harder to balance than what theyre already doing.

Regarding the combingin of Souls, I think the playerbase needs to except that there are some limitations. Hypothetically, if the playerbase basically bullied Trion into allowing players to make Roles comprised of ANY Souls, it would be a nightmare of balancing issues.

While having more than 4 Roles total might be nice.........is it really so hard to go to your class trainer and respec a role if you really need something specific that you dont already have? Again, having more than four Roles saved would be nice yes, but four is already a decent number and you can always go back to your trainer and respec a Role if needed.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    I'd rather see them allow a mix match of roles, say allowing 1 cleric soul to be paired with 2 warrior souls, or 2 rogue with 1 mage, etc. that would be interesting. The limitation being you can only put like max 10 points if the soul is from a different role. So basically you can only get a few skills from the off-role soul and of course your weapon and armor types would be limited to the primary role 2 soul types.
    cant work, callings have completely different mechanics and limiting mechanisms, mixing souls between callings would open the road for completely OP options.

The point of 4 roles (which is a lot) is to give players the ability to flex.

You're asking for the ability to become a contortionist though. You shouldn't be able to have so many roles that there is never a need for someone else.

I'd have been pretty happy with 3 roles myself.

Ascendant

I don't even know what you would need more than 4 roles for. One solo PvE, one group PvE, and one PvP role, with an extra leftover to do what you want (probably another group role so you can tank/heal or DPS).

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Freako View Post
    Need more roles?

If this were a traditional MMO, the total class make up that is being fielded is equal to 32 different classes...... !!
    You could make an argument that it is 4 * (8!/(3!*5!) ) where n! = 1*2*3*...*n

So 56 Unique combinations of 3 souls out of 8. This give 224 different unique combinations. Damn forgot the pvp souls....you do the maths for that.

I'd like to see more roles too. Just for PvE, I could see myself using more than 4. Heck, there's 8 classes per calling. I'll probably want to explore variations on at least several of them, plus have a group and/or raid spec.
    Last edited by Xenon; 01-13-2011 at 02:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread