+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with Rogue tank build

Telaran

Default Help with Rogue tank build

I would like to try a build with a Rogue tank it seems rather entertaining and I was curious about what other rogues experiences with tanking have been.

The builds I have made so far are this one
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2415,1_2419,5_

Rift/night/blade

and
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2415,1_2419,5_
    rift sab blade

I hear the hardest part of rogue tank is holding agro on multi mobs but I am hoping only a few points in sabateur or night would do the trick.

Try mixing in Bard into the mix. It's surprisingly useful.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Soulwalker

With guardian phase and rift disturbance I had no issues with holding threat on multiple mobs. This was admitted not in a group with a heavy AOE class.

I use Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Bard for my combo.

I honestly am worried with a Rogue Tank build. Yes maybe a off tank and maybe a great PvP build.

That is the direction I would go for the Rogue tank design, PvP

For PvE I fear the damage burst would be to great vs bosses. But who is to know at level cap.

My view as the souls stand right now

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...2116,3_2117,5_

this is with a ranger tweak:

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...2516,3_2519,5_
    Last edited by P-51; 01-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51 View Post
    I honestly am worried with a Rogue Tank build. Yes maybe a off tank and maybe a great PvP build.

That is the direction I would go for the Rogue tank design, PvP

For PvE I fear the damage burst would be to great vs bosses. But who is to know at level cap.

My view as the souls stand right now

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...2116,3_2117,5_

this is with a ranger tweak:

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...2516,3_2519,5_

Hasn't been a problem so far. In fact, I was tanking Deepstrike Mines and my healer stopped spamming so much. Started dpsing to have something to do

Plane Touched

I honestly haven't even considered tanking with a rogue, but I can tell you that my Blade Dancer does an amazing job of surviving in toe-to-toe fights with really scary dudes. Given the avoidance of the Blade Dancer, I think it should be a strong part of your build (up to Imp. False Blade if possible), though I think you should really consider a 51-point Rift Stalker build, since your 51 pt. ability is great. I'd suggest 5 points in Bard for the 10% health, which would give you an extra 25% base health when combined with the 15% from your Rift build.

Since serious Warrior tanks will be taking 15% health from Reaver and 15% health from Paladin, that will even you out pretty well in the health dept.

I think it's an exciting build, and I really hope all of these unusual tank builds work out, and that the game doesn't turn into this really serious WoW math club thing where you must have x, y and z to do a task or the group wipes. I think anyone with 1 tree for any particular task should be able to meet the challenges of that task; otherwise, why is the tree even there?

Good luck, buddy.

Soulwalker

I came up with this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2115,3_2117,5_

you definitely want to take advantage of rift stalker's defensiveness and only that...blade dancers are kinda like evasion queens so that helps add some sort of mitigation to the mix ...so so far your defenses are up and you are less likely to be hit.. whats next? probably some buffs.. so i put the rest for bard. It looks kinda cool

Soulwalker

didn't notice when i was making the build but you can interchange rift prison for freedom of movement if you'd rather have that

Quote Originally Posted by Anceciaus View Post
    I came up with this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2115,3_2117,5_

you definitely want to take advantage of rift stalker's defensiveness and only that...blade dancers are kinda like evasion queens so that helps add some sort of mitigation to the mix ...so so far your defenses are up and you are less likely to be hit.. whats next? probably some buffs.. so i put the rest for bard. It looks kinda cool
    A few points on my opinion on this build. First, you have 0/5 Shadow Mastery, which means all your Plane Shift abilities are on 45sec cooldowns. This means you won't be able to have your +45% armor and -15% damage taken buffs up at all times.

On top of this you have neither Shadow Assault (branch) nor Memory Capture/Flashback (32 root), both Plane Shift abilities you can use to help maintain your Plane Shift buffs.

I can see arguments for or against Planar Shift, but I feel it'll be useful to be able to move combo points between targets. This is especially true since you only have 1/3 Rift Scavenger, which would be the main reason I wouldn't use Planar Shift.

My personal opinion is you're a bit deep into the Bard tree. The Motifs aren't easily sustainable without Bardic Inspiration, and you likely won't have time to keep them up while maintaining your Riftstalker buffs. The Codas aren't optimal finishers to choose from while tanking; Rift Guard and Guarded steel help provide necessary survivability.

This leaves you with Fanfares and Anthems from your Bard tree. The Anthems you get are Focus, Glory, and Competence; the first two are early in the roots and branches, the third 10 points in. I prefer Glory myself for synergy with +Armor% in Riftstalker; if another Bard is present, they can handle other Anthems. The Fanfares you get are Vigor and Power. Both are useful, but you gain more benefit from Vigor with all the +Endurance% present in Riftstalker abilities. Power is also further in the tree.

Here's me playing around with a build idea tweaking what you had.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    A few points on my opinion on this build. First, you have 0/5 Shadow Mastery, which means all your Plane Shift abilities are on 45sec cooldowns. This means you won't be able to have your +45% armor and -15% damage taken buffs up at all times.

On top of this you have neither Shadow Assault (branch) nor Memory Capture/Flashback (32 root), both Plane Shift abilities you can use to help maintain your Plane Shift buffs.

I can see arguments for or against Planar Shift, but I feel it'll be useful to be able to move combo points between targets. This is especially true since you only have 1/3 Rift Scavenger, which would be the main reason I wouldn't use Planar Shift.

My personal opinion is you're a bit deep into the Bard tree. The Motifs aren't easily sustainable without Bardic Inspiration, and you likely won't have time to keep them up while maintaining your Riftstalker buffs. The Codas aren't optimal finishers to choose from while tanking; Rift Guard and Guarded steel help provide necessary survivability.

This leaves you with Fanfares and Anthems from your Bard tree. The Anthems you get are Focus, Glory, and Competence; the first two are early in the roots and branches, the third 10 points in. I prefer Glory myself for synergy with +Armor% in Riftstalker; if another Bard is present, they can handle other Anthems. The Fanfares you get are Vigor and Power. Both are useful, but you gain more benefit from Vigor with all the +Endurance% present in Riftstalker abilities. Power is also further in the tree.

I wasn't caring too much about motifs and wanted to utilize the bard tree for anthems and fanfares. you're right about the codas so i can just take down extended grief, im not sure about taking anymore points from bard though with 18 i get motif of tenacity ( even though i dont care for the motifs as much it reduces damage by 5%). that leave me with 2 points, also i can jack a point from strike back giving me enough points to get 32 in riftstalker.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...17,5_&lang=eng

Soulwalker

also forgot to mention you can swap rift scavenger for planar switch if you prefer. you do have a valid point about it. im more attracted to rift scavenger though

Why not?
    Only with 3 plane shift skills on 45 sec cd you area able to maintain the 15 sec buffs:
    Shadow Walk, Shadow Assault, Shadow Blitz, Shadow Warp.
    You only need to rotate 3 of them for perma buffs. I didt count shadow shift because positioning requeriments, is not a great idea keep moving the boss here to there through the entire fight.

I have a RS/Blade/Bard lvl 27, tanked a lot on beta 4 and i found shadow mastery unuseful.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladai View Post
    Why not?
    Only with 3 plane shift skills on 45 sec cd you area able to maintain the 15 sec buffs:
    Shadow Walk, Shadow Assault, Shadow Blitz, Shadow Warp.
    You only need to rotate 3 of them for perma buffs. I didt count shadow shift because positioning requeriments, is not a great idea keep moving the boss here to there through the entire fight.

I have a RS/Blade/Bard lvl 27, tanked a lot on beta 4 and i found shadow mastery unuseful.
    Wouldn't causing the boss in question to turn around on melee members a problem a well? (the shifts that put the rift stalker behind the target) Have you found this not to be a problem? I would imagine it wouldn't be that big of a deal in the instances we have to look at so far, but as soon as there is a boss with a cone aoe attack or some sort of cleave that would really make you think about flipping the boss to keep your buffs up.

You can place yourself perpendicular to the party if the boss is new.

Even if the party is behind the boss and you use a plane shift, you can turn the boss manually in less than 2 sec. It is complicated that in that very moment he launch the AOE, more if you just waiting to get it for planeshift (this type of attacks often have CD in the majority of bosses).

Hope it helps.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Telaran

Your build is by far my favorite of those posted but would like to change 2 talent points to make room for Power Cord as a nice insta 2 combo point is always useful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...17,5_&lang=eng

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast