+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tough as Nails tank spec

Rift Disciple

Default Tough as Nails tank spec

I was playing around with the role builder to try and make a tank that a) has a ton of HP, b) a ton of armour, and c) be one tough SOB to fight, and if you don't fight me, I've got enough group utility to make you regret it.

What do you guys think?

Paladin, Warlord, Reaver.
    Last edited by cKerensky; 01-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Imbued armor and crest mastery is a must in the reaver tree. It's the only reason to take reaver or else your better off taking void knight. Hardened will is also a must on the paladin tree.

hardened will (-9% magic) + crest mastery (- 9% magic) + imbued armor (-5% everything) = 23% magic reduction = awesome

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    I was playing around with the role builder to try and make a tank that a) has a ton of HP, b) a ton of armour, and c) be one tough SOB to fight, and if you don't fight me, I've got enough group utility to make you regret it.

What do you guys think?

Paladin, Warlord, Reaver.
    Ditch warlord...
    I would personally go this route.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...18,5_&lang=eng

30% magic reduction.
    45% endurance increase
    Heal for 6% endurance per pact gained
    Heal 300+ every 15 seconds.
    Pop a 3K+ magic damage shield for 30s (CD is 30s)
    Gain weapon dmg in healing every block while doing weapon dmg every block.
    Strip buffs and remove debuffs (become immune to negative magic effects for 6 seconds).

That is a tough nut to crack.
    Of By For

Click on the banner and join us today!

I would take void knight over warlord but both builds would be ok for pve ...not sure if i would go that tank heavy for pvp though...
    Last edited by Jexa; 01-13-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Looks ok, but a few things

Paladin / Warlord / Reaver

U missing a couple of important things like Reverant Protection, the choice between Warlord and Void Knight up to you.
    Last edited by Ciowyn; 01-13-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by MadMainer View Post
    Ditch warlord...

30% magic reduction.
    45% endurance increase
    Strip buffs and remove debuffs (become immune to negative magic effects for 6 seconds).

Self healing has never been a reliable source of mitigation in high end pve.
    At least, in other games ...
    But i dont believe it'll be all that great

PS : Heal for 6% of endurance does it mean 3% of your end score (like you have 250 end, it heals you for 15 hp ?) or of your total HP ?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zerathule View Post
    Self healing has never been a reliable source of mitigation in high end pve.
    Not true. Warden in LOTRO, and Dark Templar (to a degree, anyway) in AoC.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Herunar View Post
    Not true. Warden in LOTRO, and Dark Templar (to a degree, anyway) in AoC.
    Hmm Lotro is the only game where endgame is a 3 man run ... so yeah, self healing for a tank would be almost mandatory, but that's not what i hope for engame in Rift ...
    I'm thinking about fights where bosses would 2 or 3 shot the MT ... 1% damage mitigation would mean more than healing 2% of your hp in those cases

Default better tree website to use

bleh nm its broke only shows rogue and wont let me bring back to home page sorry
    Last edited by connar; 01-13-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Soulwalker

Hmm Lotro is the only game where endgame is a 3 man run ... so yeah, self healing for a tank would be almost mandatory, but that's not what i hope for engame in Rift ...
    )
    ...What're you going on about? LOTRO's endgame is 12 man raiding.

And there is a boss that can potentially one shot tanks. However, if I, as a warden, had 10k health, and got hit by 8k, the healer combined with my own self heals would top me up very quickly. Whereas, if I had 2-3% more mit, I'd get hit for a litttttlle less.

But, yeah, I'm talking Reaver heals combined with the Void Knight one. In such situations, I'd rather top myself up faster than take a few hundred less damage. For that to be possible though, I'd say Reaver heals need to be buffed.
    Last edited by Herunar; 01-13-2011 at 06:43 AM.

I'm thinking about fights where bosses would 2 or 3 shot the MT ... 1% damage mitigation would mean more than healing 2% of your hp in those cases
    I will comment on both of your posts at once here.

It is 6% of your endurance per pact gained. So lets take lv 27 warrior average 140 endurance plus 45% (talent spec) equals 203 endurance. Each pact would heal for around 12 health or around .4% of the tanks health (around 2.8 - 3K). This sounds like very little if you don't understand the pact mechanic. With the build I provided a healing rotation would look something like this.

debuff (9 pacts) for 108 healing, Fusion of Flesh for 270 healing, Pact Conversion (6 pacts) for 72 healing... total GCD 3 sec... can be done every 15 seconds. Total healing 450 or 15% of total health. That does not include any magical attacks which would be a constant stream of 12 point heals. Maximum heals in that 3 second rotation can be over 540 or 18% of total health. That also does not include a lucky crit heal.

Now add to that healing on every block for 65 - 90 health and the build I put forth could easily hit 20% healing every 15 seconds. You would need at least 10 - 20% more physical AND magical mitigation to top my build which is very difficult with any other soul combination. Not to mention the tank would have less HP for spike crits. The mitigation would have to be even higher to compensate the healing on multiple mob pulls.

Feel free to post a build that can top that kind of mitigation. I have not found it yet.
    Of By For

Ditch warlord...

30% magic reduction.
    45% endurance increase

I agree with MadMainer here. only I would take one point from surge to pick up the rift tap as any spell hits you deals damage back on attacker and increases your threat which is good for a tank.
    Beta Server Beryl Now Live Server Shadefallen Guild: NCIS - New Chaos Inc. Society NCIS.Guildlaunch.com
    Barashi Kalari dual roll tank Reaver/Pally/Void knight and Pally/Void Knight/Warlord DPS Roll Para/Champ/Riftblade Professions: Miner/Butcher/Armorsmith
    Kyari Kalari Sentinel/Warren/Purifier Professions: Butcher/Forager/Alchemist
    Hakumei Eth Bladedancer/Bard/Riftstalker Miner/Forager/Artificer

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStarlea View Post
    I agree with MadMainer here. only I would take one point from surge to pick up the rift tap as any spell hits you deals damage back on attacker and increases your threat which is good for a tank.
    I never found much use for Rift Tap... It only reflects one spell and is not a true reflect (which would be much preferred).... But that is all about personal preference. =)
    Of By For

I never found much use for Rift Tap... It only reflects one spell and is not a true reflect (which would be much preferred).... But that is all about personal preference. =)
    very true but then again that is the great thing about this class system. If can work ether way and you can custom any build to your play style and it still be a viable build
    Beta Server Beryl Now Live Server Shadefallen Guild: NCIS - New Chaos Inc. Society NCIS.Guildlaunch.com
    Barashi Kalari dual roll tank Reaver/Pally/Void knight and Pally/Void Knight/Warlord DPS Roll Para/Champ/Riftblade Professions: Miner/Butcher/Armorsmith
    Kyari Kalari Sentinel/Warren/Purifier Professions: Butcher/Forager/Alchemist
    Hakumei Eth Bladedancer/Bard/Riftstalker Miner/Forager/Artificer

Since I heard we are going to have 4 different builds available, Here is what I will use for my warrior:

Usual main tank spec: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...18,5_&lang=eng

Anti-magic tank spec: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...19,5_&lang=eng

Support-DPS build: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...nts=0&lang=eng

PvP "tank" build: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...18,5_&lang=eng

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast