+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class-Specific UI Elements

Default Class-Specific UI Elements

From Curse's first impressions:

Blade Dancer

The first demo kicked off with the Blade Dancer, a dual-wielding rogue-like class who has some stealth capability, but to fully take advantage of the arsenal of abilities you must weave in combination attacks from your left and right hands. It's a bit more involved than, say, playing a rogue in World of Warcraft where you simply mash a single button until you've built up five combo points.

It makes me imagine a bar on the Blade Dancer's UI, and a left-handed attack moves the bar to the left, and a right-handed attack moves the bar to the right. You could only execute certain abilities when "centered". so the objective would be to use your abilities, but be able to backtrack in time to use your centered abilities and then venture out again. It could also create some difference between right-handed BDs and left-handed ones.

Thoughts? Can you think of any other UI Elements like this for other classes?
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

The way you describe it sounds pretty cool. It could just be a typical combo system though since it would be easier and probably more accurate. [Super Slash] requires 2 left hand points and 3 right hand points, something like that.

Sounds like a take on the Runekeeper atunement bar in Lord of the Rings Online...except you're trying to keep it balanced rather than build towards one end or the other.

Actually the first thing that came to my mind after reading that was that maybe Blade Dancer plays similar to the Assassins in Guild Wars.

They had most of their melee skills labeled as normal or elite lead attacks, off-hand attacks and dual attacks. Majority of the skills had some form of condition, they either needed to follow a certain type of attack or they would need some extra condition to work.

For example an assassin could start their chain with Seeping Wound (hex with snare & dot), followed by black mantis thrust (a lead attack that makes hexed foe crippled), fox fangs (unblockable off-hand attack that needs to follow a lead attack), Trampling Ox (off-hand attack that needs to follow an off-hand attack, knocks down crippled opponent), falling lotus strike (off-hand attack that does damage & restores energy only if opponent is knocked down) and finally finishing up the chain with Twisting Fangs (a dual attack that needs to follow off-hand attack, does dmg + bleeding & heavy wound conditions).

Of course with majority of the classes having around 100 to 140 skills and you could only use 8 skills at a time, there were countless of builds so the above was just a small example. Heh, I suppose that was bit too much technical stuff on that explanation.

But anyway, I like the idea of more in depth style class specific UI elements. If the game will use such, I suppose my guess will be just as good as anyones but I think Europe's vision of Blade Dancer gameplay sounds pretty interesting.

Wow that's a nice combo there Ayame. Cool tricks are always worked out eventually by players, and that was pretty frosty. I'd like it if your left/right hand bar was used Europe, it's pretty innovative, and I can see some nice combos coming from it. You might have to open with a left-handed slash in order to follow with a right-handed thrust followed by a surprise left elbow in the ribs, or something like that.

I think if each class would have a system like europe discribes of something that dynamic, playstyle wouldn't just be button bashing, it would require timing and last minute (second) decision making. As a result classes would become harder to play but would be much more fun to play than for example: use rotation x and maximize your dps.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

IMO if UI is more complex it will be easier to identify good players with bad gear, and bad players with good gear. Personally I like complex rotation, because then the game does not feel like 3-buttons-max-dps game. More complex it is - more realistic and fun it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomandlore View Post
    Sounds like a take on the Runekeeper atunement bar in Lord of the Rings Online...except you're trying to keep it balanced rather than build towards one end or the other.
    Sounds identical to the Runekeeper bar!
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Protos View Post
    Wow that's a nice combo there Ayame. Cool tricks are always worked out eventually by players, and that was pretty frosty. I'd like it if your left/right hand bar was used Europe, it's pretty innovative, and I can see some nice combos coming from it. You might have to open with a left-handed slash in order to follow with a right-handed thrust followed by a surprise left elbow in the ribs, or something like that.
    This might also allow for combat style variations. I realize that Blade Dancing is it's own discipline but in "RL" there would almost invariably be variations within a particular style. Signature moves, for lack of a better description. For instance, "Thayvian, master of the blade, was known for his gut-shredder move."

Perhaps a particular Elementalist, with an affinity for Fire, is known to summon particularly nasty elemental pets.

So on, and so forth...

Quote Originally Posted by Maegyssa View Post
    This might also allow for combat style variations. I realize that Blade Dancing is it's own discipline but in "RL" there would almost invariably be variations within a particular style. Signature moves, for lack of a better description. For instance, "Thayvian, master of the blade, was known for his gut-shredder move."

Perhaps a particular Elementalist, with an affinity for Fire, is known to summon particularly nasty elemental pets.

So on, and so forth...
    I think signature moves / ultimates / fitalities whatever you want to call them would be an excellent idea especially if you have multiple for each class where players can use ONE from. See them as some sort of finishing move you can perform if the mob is under <10% hp normal and 5% hp of boss.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Hm. How about each hand has a different global cooldown? O-o
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    Fantastic, that would take a few hours to get used to! I love it! I already know how I would set that up. Lefthand on keyboard with hotkeys, righthand on mouse with the 17 buttons at that side. That would be quite a experience

To make it even cooler, if you activate two abilities at the same time you morph both attacks (left and right) into 1 big dual blow. Not always doable but would require some type of action points or so.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Hooray for anything that allows for different playstyles. Let it take more skill to be good at your class rather than just fast fingers and let us be able to have different play styles. It seems like anymore in MMO's everyone has to spec their class a certain way in order to be successful. Give us a system that allows for some individuality in play styles among different members of the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    I like it. It would have to be controlled in order to keep combat from being too spammy, though.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I like it. It would have to be controlled in order to keep combat from being too spammy, though.
    Well, making the global cooldown slightly higher and the damage for special attacks slightly lower (so it sums about equaly to normal stuff) could make it be... not so spammy.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast