+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Elementalist pets vs Necro pets

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Berethron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    160

    Default Elementalist pets vs Necro pets

    Which class do you find is a better pet class, and why? Which class is better able to survive without their pet, and which has a stronger pet?
    If you're going F2P, please do it right. Don't go back on your word.

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Ele well survive better without pet, necro is a highly pet dependent class and therefore stronger in dps.

    I went as a pyro main with ele at 8 points, find myself getting owned by 2-3 normals mobs my level or 1 mob 4 lvls above. Died so many times at level 20s i got pissed and rerolled to a class i enjoyed more.

    However i did own as a pyro at warfront, lots of dps.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara Mantiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berethron View Post
    Which class do you find is a better pet class, and why? Which class is better able to survive without their pet, and which has a stronger pet?
    Both classes are very pet reliant for solo play since you will want your pet tanking. They also both offer instant pet summoning on a timer. So keeping a pet out is not very difficult and both souls have ways to heal or protect themselves and their pets.

    The key, imo, when taking either the Elementalist or Necromancer is to invest heavily as the classes both have a lo of synergy with their pets. The Necromancer more -so then the Elementalist, but still...

    As for which can survive better with out a pet... depends on what you mean. A Necromancer can simply FD and reset most encounters. While the Elementalist has to plow through, run away, or die. What will really impact your survivability is your second and third souls.

    When playing as my Elementalist/Stormcaller I have a lot of snares and knock backs so the control is there. You can get away with not having a pet out and snaring, kiting your way to success.

    My Necromancer/Warlock/Dominator will have the ability to stun and debuff as well, although some of those will come later in the game.

    So hopefully that helps you a tad!
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.


  4. #4
    General of Telara Relair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866

    Default

    The pets, stat wise, are nearly identical without talents. Elementalists pet talents seem slightly better, but the core pet abilities for necro pets are slightly better. Elementalists are more effective than necros if both were petless for some reason, necromancers do very little dmg without a pet. Almost all their debuffs and dots boost the pets in one way or another. Elementalist has some good dmg spells and can still do a decent amount of dmg on their own. I like that they aren't just exact mirror images of each other like in some games, diversity is good and their power seems balanced. This isn't taking into account secondary souls or anything, just a 1 v 1 comparison.

  5. #5
    Champion P-51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    524

    Default

    What about in PvP?

    I understand a Necro can own because of the dots. Is this true? If so is the pet needed?

    Can the Elementalist do the same or are they totally reliant on their pet for damage?

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Seidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Necro is the worst class to pvp with in the mage calling. They have no real damage apart from soul purge, you have no cc, and even the said soul purge is pathetic cause you need to survive through getting at least 50 charge to fuel it (this can be solved by the highelf racial though).

    Elementalists are not really reliant on their pet and they deal very solid damage with their nukes on their own, but if you want to compete with a pyro, champion/riftblade or saboteur in dps, you need your pet. Oh btw ele has a +100% pet damage insta-cast temp buff, so he doesnt have to stack 3 or 4 or whatever much debuffs on their target, but both them and their pet can dish out some great burst damage.

    Oh and btw, elementalists have some great CC and survivability options for pvp, while necros have none.

  7. #7
    Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seidon View Post
    Necro is the worst class to pvp with in the mage calling. They have no real damage apart from soul purge, you have no cc, and even the said soul purge is pathetic cause you need to survive through getting at least 50 charge to fuel it (this can be solved by the highelf racial though).

    Elementalists are not really reliant on their pet and they deal very solid damage with their nukes on their own, but if you want to compete with a pyro, champion/riftblade or saboteur in dps, you need your pet. Oh btw ele has a +100% pet damage insta-cast temp buff, so he doesnt have to stack 3 or 4 or whatever much debuffs on their target, but both them and their pet can dish out some great burst damage.

    Oh and btw, elementalists have some great CC and survivability options for pvp, while necros have none.
    Well fully buffed the elementalist boosts the air and fire elementals dmg 110%, as a passive. Then the 100% pet dmg instant temp buff puts it to 210% dmg when used. However since the air pet is all cast based, the 10% if fulled specced from exposure would boost fire and air to 120% which, as a 30 second duration debuff, i'd consider 100% upkeep.

    So ele's boost the air pet, the only constant controllable pet out of air and fire, 120% dmg 100% of the time. Air elemental buffs the ele's spell power to boot. Then the 31 point 15s 2m cooldown 100% pet dmg buff.. makes air elemental a potentially deadly pet with VERY little upkeep from the caster.

  8. #8
    General of Telara Relair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Dots in rift at this point don't own in pvp, pve or anything else. you can stack 5 dots on a guy and in that time might as well have cast 2 or 3 direct dmg spells and you'd be way better off, plus almost every cleric can dispel all your dots with a very early root talent with no cooldown so they can just spam away. The necro zealot pet does more dmg than any of the mage pets that I've seen but yeah, other than soul purge we have nothing. No cc or escape anything, no big dmg spell, so if you can't build charge first you are s.o.l. On the plus side if you DO have a full bar of charge, you have a good chance to win. Elementalist does very respectable dmg on their own and has a root spell at least, the water pet can root, snare and silence too.

    I'm not complaining about the state of necromancers, I like mine alot and you can't really judge a class based on one soul, the idea is that you use others to fill in the shortcomings. Pair it with warlock or dominator or something for some cc and you'll still be just fine.

  9. #9
    Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relair View Post
    Dots in rift at this point don't own in pvp, pve or anything else. you can stack 5 dots on a guy and in that time might as well have cast 2 or 3 direct dmg spells and you'd be way better off, plus almost every cleric can dispel all your dots with a very early root talent with no cooldown so they can just spam away. The necro zealot pet does more dmg than any of the mage pets that I've seen but yeah, other than soul purge we have nothing. No cc or escape anything, no big dmg spell, so if you can't build charge first you are s.o.l. On the plus side if you DO have a full bar of charge, you have a good chance to win. Elementalist does very respectable dmg on their own and has a root spell at least, the water pet can root, snare and silence too.

    I'm not complaining about the state of necromancers, I like mine alot and you can't really judge a class based on one soul, the idea is that you use others to fill in the shortcomings. Pair it with warlock or dominator or something for some cc and you'll still be just fine.
    Well i've been waiting for any necromancer to post parse data on their pet's output. Sadly, I've seen none really. I'd contend that necromancer pets are designed to do somewhat more damage in their own right if the necromancer does his work with debuffs/coefficients on the mob, but I'd really like to see actual data on this.

  10. #10
    General of Telara Relair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866

    Default

    I haven't parsed it but I've played both at 27 quite extensively and the zealot pet does the most of any necro or elementalist pet, the water pet's main attack does more than air pet or necro caster pet, but air pet and the necro caster do decent do AoE dmg and have secondary attack spells as well, where water pet is more utility. Both tank pets have identical stats with no talents but necro pets special abilities do quite a bit more dmg, earth pets talents make it take quite a bit less dmg.

    Properly debuffed by looming demise, necrosis and stacks of deathly calling the necro pets will do alot more dmg overall than elementalist ones, but this is balanced by elementalist having generally better pet talents and doing far more dmg themselves with their spells.
    Last edited by Relair; 01-12-2011 at 07:01 PM.

  11. #11
    Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relair View Post
    I haven't parsed it but I've played both at 27 quite extensively and the zealot pet does the most of any necro or elementalist pet, the water pet's main attack does more than air pet or necro caster pet, but air pet and the necro caster do decent do AoE dmg and have secondary attack spells as well, where water pet is more utility. Both tank pets have identical stats with no talents but necro pets special abilities do quite a bit more dmg, earth pets talents make it take quite a bit less dmg.

    Properly debuffed by looming demise, necrosis and stacks of deathly calling the necro pets will do alot more dmg overall than elementalist ones, but this is balanced by elementalist having generally better pet talents and doing far more dmg themselves with their spells.
    Well i just want to see the data for necromancer. I got data for elemtalist and their abilities in another thread. I've had the greater air pet hold 40dps, 65k dmg, over a entire dungeon run. Been just hoping for actual data from the necromancer. I've testet both but nothing beats an actual dungeon run.

    As per the tanking pets however, I agree that the necromancer "tankish" pet does more damage, but it is a much much worse tank. The -20% dmg proc off his thud aside, the earth pet has hate generation of all of their abilities. The AoE hate generating one being what really puts it in it's own area. Necromancer pets so far have done more damage, but they have also had more pet boosting abilities sooner. Once the elementalist gets to fully boosting air pet to 120% dmg and whatnot, then we might see a better picture.

    Air pet is more fragile than any of the necromancer pets, from my testing. Does not mean it should outright do more damage, since the souls play different. However I'd have to say at least on tanking, necromancer has nothing compared to the earth pet. However maybe it does not need to since it does have FD and other abilities.

    Still, hopeing by end of the week someone with necromancer pet data can post some.

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara Cabreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default Necro Pets

    Soul Purge is an ability that is pretty deep into the necromancer tree this will save your *** in pvp fights and it is also a great way to keep great damage flowing. If you spec into warlock a little bit to strengthen your death spells and add a high intelligence and endurance to your stats you will critical hit often and with the DoTs the necro gains charge like nobody's business. Considering soul purge takes half your charge on a single channel is rough but do it twice in a row a dps warrior and some of the other melee rogue classes will have a hard time doing enough damage to move your life while this is up. Also soul purge heals your pet and since you are already deep into the necromancer tree I suggest getting the buffed pets the skeletal knight and zealot. The zealot is heavy on damage and does way more damage with your insta-cast debuffs and DoTs. The skeletal knight on the other hand knocks enemies around six ways till sunday with the same debuffs and dots. So in pvp you may not kill a lot of people but 1v1 you basically become indestructible. The only way I was killed in the warfronts was because I was either sniped by a bard/marksman or ***** from behind by a deep assassin/nightblade spec. I don't know much about the elementalists because my second role was chloromancer but I figured it would fall under the same way if an elementalist took either pyromancer or stormcaller as their second soul.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander Gazarelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    33

    Default

    The early pets are different classes as the necro gets a dps pet, while the elementals pets have taunt and will tank for you. If you plan to use either pet solo early on, or as a 2ndary soul, the elemental, generally will hold aggro better. I tanked a lot myself when I played a young necro /chloro, but my elemntalist never got hit as the pet was generally able to keep the mob.

    Eventually both classes get all pet types, they just start out with different types.
    -Cheers
    -Gaz

  14. #14
    Shield of Telara Cabreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default

    another good thing about the necro pet it becomes a nice mana battery for the other classes if you throw I think 6 points into it.

    Edit: it is 8 points for reclaim power.
    Last edited by Cabreon; 01-12-2011 at 10:49 PM.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple Lazorus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Necro/Warlock/Chrono is probably the best way to use pets and deal AoE damage... I'm using Chrono as a way to help heal the pets so they dont get creamed. and as a nother heal besides Life Leech and Soul Purge with Essence Link in using the Raidiant Sporse spell.

    As far as Necros doing damage with Dots goes, using Neddra's Torture and having Neda's Influance increases the DoT damage. Using Warlock as a supplement tree give ALOT of synergy for Necros. Not sure on using it in PvP but it sounds like it may be good.

    Heres a good build I'm using...

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...oul3_talants=0
    Last edited by Lazorus; 01-12-2011 at 10:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts