+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The buff/nerf merry go round, Trions plan to maintain subs

Shield of Telara

Default The buff/nerf merry go round, Trions plan to maintain subs

So who else is absolutely sure Trion intentionally changes the flavor of the month class every update to keep a new group of people resubbed and happy? How many mages did long-term subs when pyro was 1-2 shotting people? How many warriors did they get to resub when paragon got buffed for a month? Now it's rogues who get to have some fun. Extra prestige/exp/favor if you sign up for a year when your sub runs out!! Act now! Don't unsub or you'll lose founder pricing!

I'm sure these things work in the short term but it is essentially life support for the game with all the new ones around the corner.

I think we've had enough of the merry go round, Trion. The players want a consistent product rather than massive sweeping class changes every other month. I'm not even speaking just to the recent rogue buffs because they needed a bit, but tweaking these games is a delicate art that Trion devs seem to lack any ability in executing.

You might fool some people into a pseudo cash shop product by offering more exp/favor and other rewards for long subs, but that won't keep you going forever when another game comes along and the players enjoy it enough so that they don't NEED a "bonus" to compensate for the grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    We’re generally happy with the current state of Warriors and are continuing to monitor a number of smaller issues involving them.
    R8 Rogue
    R8 Warrior

Rift Chaser

I do, hence why i'm letting this sub run out then no more Rift.

Ascendant

1. Sub for one month at a time.
    2. Sub only when your class is in favor with Trion.
    3. On months where your calling is not in favor, work on your HoM.
    4. Profit.

The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Or maybe it's simply that they are actually balancing things and such up and downs have ben and always will be part of MMO's since their creation? Or maybe it's because you play a calling that had an unfair edge for sometime and now the calling crutch is gone and you now have to actually work to be number 1? Just saying.

I have a better theory.

I think these developers don't know how to properly scale damage to gear.

They come out with better gear, and suddenly the dps isn't equal so they have to do buffs and nerfs to compensate. Then the next month better gear comes out.... etc.

Or maybe the teams that set up the stat scaling don't talk with the teams that develop the gear so there's an unbalance because of that.

If my theory is right then the best classes for dps in high end raiding gear is different than the best classes for dps in quest greens.

Had my Hall filled out before Rift even had headstart.

*sigh*

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalflaw View Post
    So who else is absolutely sure Trion intentionally changes the flavor of the month class every update to keep a new group of people resubbed and happy? How many mages did long-term subs when pyro was 1-2 shotting people? How many warriors did they get to resub when paragon got buffed for a month? Now it's rogues who get to have some fun. Extra prestige/exp/favor if you sign up for a year when your sub runs out!! Act now! Don't unsub or you'll lose founder pricing!

I'm sure these things work in the short term but it is essentially life support for the game with all the new ones around the corner.

I think we've had enough of the merry go round, Trion. The players want a consistent product rather than massive sweeping class changes every other month. I'm not even speaking just to the recent rogue buffs because they needed a bit, but tweaking these games is a delicate art that Trion devs seem to lack any ability in executing.

You might fool some people into a pseudo cash shop product by offering more exp/favor and other rewards for long subs, but that won't keep you going forever when another game comes along and the players enjoy it enough so that they don't NEED a "bonus" to compensate for the grind.
    " consistent product" is missing the "where my class is OP" part.

I don't even need to check your post history to see what you're a FOTM warrior crying about not being 2 button godmode anymore.

Oh almost forgot. The veteran awards are from games other than WoW, especially EQ2 where the boss of this game came from. Get out more OP.
    Last edited by Galibier; 09-29-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Champion

They lose subs each time they make radical changes.

A proportion of those nerfed are highly likely to leave.

Soulwalker

This is how all MMO's keep the hamsters on the wheel.

Deliberately pissing off a subset of your customers would not be a good strategy for maintaining subscriptions.

What I'm trying to say, OP, is that you should refill your Xanax prescription. The world isn't conspiring against you.
    Last edited by Gumdrop; 09-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    I do, hence why i'm letting this sub run out then no more Rift.
    Same.

Likely wont be coming back either. GW2 is looking delicious. Trion has failed to convince me they will ever get this game right.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by necromancerlord View Post
    i have a better theory.

I think these developers don't know how to properly scale damage to gear.

They come out with better gear, and suddenly the dps isn't equal so they have to do buffs and nerfs to compensate. Then the next month better gear comes out.... Etc.

Or maybe the teams that set up the stat scaling don't talk with the teams that develop the gear so there's an unbalance because of that.

If my theory is right then the best classes for dps in high end raiding gear is different than the best classes for dps in quest greens.
    pls qq's of other classes grow eyes when your mages and clerics do 800k+ sometimes a million dps in port with top kb's and have been top of the charts for months now ty warriors just keep getting short changed and trion is just stupid
    The real op classes are clerics and mages as dps trion

Soulwalker

That is exactly the reason why i unsubed.

So it didnt work on me :P

So who else is absolutely sure Trion intentionally changes the flavor of the month class every update to keep a new group of people resubbed and happy?
    This is standard practice, some MMOs do it more covertly than others, but all MMOs do the same. MMO companies are not idiots (as much as some players will try and infer), investing in tactics to extend the longevity of the gaming experience by switching balance between classes is sound from a marketing perspective.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast