+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Closest to an Iron Breaker in WAR?

  1. #1
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    456

    Default Closest to an Iron Breaker in WAR?

    I love my IB in WAR. The knock-backs and ability to take a pounding (heh) make him a joy to play. Has anyone come up with something similar for Rift? I see that the Inquisitor of all people has a few knockbacks and I know tanking in rift can be done by just about any arch type. Any suggestions from someone who knows what an IB was capable of?

  2. #2
    Champion GoldenAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I don't think you're going to find something EXACTLY like it, but you can try a combination of Cleric souls to accomplish this (you already mentioned inquisitor), but I also suggest you look in Warrior. Champion may have enough of what you're after.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAxe View Post
    I don't think you're going to find something EXACTLY like it, but you can try a combination of Cleric souls to accomplish this (you already mentioned inquisitor), but I also suggest you look in Warrior. Champion may have enough of what you're after.
    There certainly does appear to be a lot of similar stuff in the Inquis/Cabal line, doesn't there?

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    You'd probably want a Warrior to wear plate like an Ironbreaker. The Champion soul has a knockback you can get for 6 points, and for 11 points you can charge in combat, lettings you walk into melee, and then charge back on the Rogue beating on your Cleric and then knock him back off. In addition, the PvP soul (Vindicator I think?) will give you guard, just like in WAR. Third soul you'd probably want Paladin or Warlord.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    414

    Default

    offensive or defensive IB. Are we looking for like an offensive PvP tank? or like a PvE tank or a group buffing defensive tank. IB's were pretty good either way, so are we talking 2her or sword and board. Lemme know the specific kind of IB and I'll suggest a build
    Last edited by Gorth; 01-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.

  6. #6
    Champion MadMainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    508

    Default

    I would say Paladin/Champion/Warlord is about as close as you will get.
    Of By For

    Click on the banner and join us today!

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorth View Post
    offensive or defensive IB. Are we looking for like an offensive PvP tank? or like a PvE tank or a group buffing defensive tank. IB's were pretty good either way, so are we talking 2her or sword and board. Lemme know the specific kind of IB and I'll suggest a build
    Offensive IBs in WAR use sword and board. (atleast the good ones anyway) it's counter intuitive i know. My Zeal (rr86) can get burst down by a shield spec IB faster than a 2her, and they are still pretty hard to take down without group coordination (knockdown, armor debuffs, WE in the back etc).

    To my knowledge there is no Cave-Win in Rift (5s knockdown, which made you unable to defend anything).

    The previous posters are right though, Pally is all about tanking with the shield, so your IB like survivability would come from there, the knockback (like another poster said) would come from champion.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    456

    Default

    I'm more defensive oriented, I like being able to take a beating and shrug off people. I prefer another player to take a look at me and say "Not even worth the effort" and go for a weaker target. I like guarding my fellow group members. Sounds like Pally/Champion might be it. What would you add as a 3 soul down the road? So many options here. I'm still open to a cleric build as well if it works well...
    Last edited by VisceralMonkey; 01-12-2011 at 03:57 PM.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fende View Post
    Offensive IBs in WAR use sword and board. (atleast the good ones anyway) it's counter intuitive i know. My Zeal (rr86) can get burst down by a shield spec IB faster than a 2her, and they are still pretty hard to take down without group coordination (knockdown, armor debuffs, WE in the back etc).

    To my knowledge there is no Cave-Win in Rift (5s knockdown, which made you unable to defend anything).

    The previous posters are right though, Pally is all about tanking with the shield, so your IB like survivability would come from there, the knockback (like another poster said) would come from champion.
    Really now, didn't know that WAR had changed that much. Back when I played offensive IB's tended to go for the 2her. Interesting. Anyway, yea I agree Pally/champ is defenitely something that could work for you. This may be a build you might want to tweek a bit for what you're looking for. Mostly Paladin for durability, champion for some extra CC and warlord for passive increases.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...1716,5_1717,5_

    That's just an example build, though I think Pally/Champ and then Warlord or vindicator is your best shot at replicating an IB.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Warrender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VisceralMonkey View Post
    I like guarding my fellow group members.

    You might be interested in the Warrior PVP soul, Vindicator, then. It has the Guard ability which functions much the same way.

    So the closest combo would be Champion for knockdowns and other forms of CC, Paladin for survivability, and Vindicator for Guard.
    Last edited by Warrender; 01-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.

  11. #11
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorth View Post
    Really now, didn't know that WAR had changed that much. Back when I played offensive IB's tended to go for the 2her. Interesting. Anyway, yea I agree Pally/champ is defenitely something that could work for you. This may be a build you might want to tweek a bit for what you're looking for. Mostly Paladin for durability, champion for some extra CC and warlord for passive increases.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...1716,5_1717,5_

    That's just an example build, though I think Pally/Champ and then Warlord or vindicator is your best shot at replicating an IB.
    Thanks! I don't see a Vindicator class anywhere on the builder or Rift site though. What am I missing?

  12. #12
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    87

    Default

    you actually get a few stun abilities in the paladin tree/roots. but i agree Pally for the defense, Warlord for Group buffs/ champ for knock back

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Warrender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VisceralMonkey View Post
    Thanks! I don't see a Vindicator class anywhere on the builder or Rift site though. What am I missing?
    RoleRiftBuilder doesn't list the PVP souls. Try this soul planner instead:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...1816,5_1818,5_
    Last edited by Warrender; 01-12-2011 at 04:16 PM.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser Tenison_Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliel View Post
    you actually get a few stun abilities in the paladin tree/roots. but i agree Pally for the defense, Warlord for Group buffs/ champ for knock back
    Another great thing about Warlord is that their force taunt(Sergeant's Command) will lift targets in the air and pull targets towards you. Nothing like yanking a mage off a ledge and into a pack of meleers to put the fear of God into him .
    Last edited by Tenison_Grey; 01-12-2011 at 04:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Here's a first rudimentary of what I'm calling a "Shield Anvil". The idea is shield defensive warrior with stuns, knock-backs, etc, much like the Iron Breaker from WAR. If anyone wants to pick it apart, please do, it's a rough first draft and may not make sense in places. Again, the idea is to be an unmovable shield anvil that won't break ;)

    Ok, second attempt: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...1716,5_1717,5_
    Last edited by VisceralMonkey; 01-12-2011 at 05:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts