+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Assasin vs. Nightblade - What's the real difference?

Default Assasin vs. Nightblade - What's the real difference?

Did anyone do a thorough comparison between Assassin and Nightblade during Beta4? I played Assassin up to about 16 and it seemed pretty fun. Of course there were the energy issues but as far as the mechanics go, it's seemed pretty fun. I like how incapacitate affects the whole process of stalking your target. I didn't get a chance to test out NIghtblade, however, and in looking at their skills I'm not seeing what the main difference is supposed to be.

Nightblades are hybrid ranged/melee as well as hybrid physical/elemental damage. They have inferior stealth, but their stealth openers are ranged and therefore pretty fantastic.

Most of their skills deal elemental damage, which doesn't care about armor. The damage is generally a bit lower but it's much harder to resist/mitigate.

Most people that pick up nightblade do so for different reasons; they add a lot of utility to many souls. A nightblade main specializes in their fire/death elemental damage and is equally competent at mid range and in melee.

Oh, and nightblades have the easiest time with energy since one of their first tier talents returns 1/2/3/4/5 energy per combo point on finishers. It's still an issue currently, but much less so than other classes.
    Coil - Regulos

Wait wait... All of their from stealth openers can be done at range?? That's huge for my Marksman build.

Yeah, Ebon Terror, Lost Hope (ranged incapacitate!!!) and Dark Malady are all ranged.

It's a truly beautiful thing, even for the melee souls.
    Coil - Regulos

most of their talents don't seem to have much synergy with other souls, but their ranged abilities definitely make them a good pick for a ranged stealth option.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ivalsetto View Post
    Yeah, Ebon Terror, Lost Hope (ranged incapacitate!!!) and Dark Malady are all ranged.

It's a truly beautiful thing, even for the melee souls.
    What is Lost Hope? looked at Rift Role Builder and don't see that skill.

Ascendant

Nightblades don't put out the same kind of damage that Assassins do (but I think melee rogues in general are due a bit of a damage buff accross the board including Assassins and Nightblades). They are able to operate almost equally effectively at medium range and in melee however. They also bring a fair bit more utility with them than Assassins, in my opinion.

Hellfire Blades can be branched to grant a 5% mitgation debuff to those it hits (which is good because the damage from the proc itself is pretty much non existant) and their stealthed opener Dark Malady (which, as Ivalsetto mentioned, is ranged) causes the target to take an additional 20% damage from all sources for 8 seconds. They stack nicely so they're good for letting your allies take down a target quickly.

Nightblades have a surprisingly decent CC aspect to them with the ranged incapacitate Lost Hope (only works on targets that arebt in combat) and Dark Containment (essentially a 15 second mezz that can be used in combat).

I still think that as a stand alone it's the weakest Rogue soul (it lacks both heavy damage and defense) despite the utility abilities. But it has some very useful skills in there for other souls to benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by Harkonis View Post
    most of their talents don't seem to have much synergy with other souls, but their ranged abilities definitely make them a good pick for a ranged stealth option.
    I'm going to have to disagree with this regarding Nightblades. As a primary soul or, in this case, secondary the first 10 points into Nightblade are good for just about any rogue.

Tier 1 - Blazing Fury- Your finishers refund 5 energy per combo point. This is a fairly significant amount of energy, guaranteed to be returned upon every finisher. I can see this being useful anytime, and everytime, you use more than one finisher in a single fight.

Tier 2 - Coup de Grace- Increases the damage your finishers do by 15%. It doesnt really matter what soul you are, if youre a Rogue, you use finishers. Idk the equation for finisher damage yet, but assuming this is a flat 15% increase to total finisher damage it should be good for all rogues.

The ranged cc makes me want to switch from Ranger/Assassin/Marksman to Ranger/Nightblade/Marksman; have to see if I can still get double weapon enchantments with the same point allocation.
    Last edited by nfmus; 01-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaiMei View Post
    What is Lost Hope? looked at Rift Role Builder and don't see that skill.
    Lost Hope - Puts the enemy in a state of hopelessness, incapacitating the enemy for 30 seconds. Enemy must not be in combat. Any damage on the enemy removes the effect. Only 1 enemy can be incapacitated at a time. This attack does not take the Rogue out of stealth. Must be stealthed.

Shadowlander

Default Thanks the Rift Builder must be stale content:

Quote Originally Posted by Dexin View Post
    Lost Hope - Puts the enemy in a state of hopelessness, incapacitating the enemy for 30 seconds. Enemy must not be in combat. Any damage on the enemy removes the effect. Only 1 enemy can be incapacitated at a time. This attack does not take the Rogue out of stealth. Must be stealthed.
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=rogue

Choose NightBlade don't see that skill.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by PaiMei View Post
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=rogue

Choose NightBlade don't see that skill.
    That looks a bit wrong.

Lost Hope should be where Incapacitate is; Incapacitate is Assassin not Nightblade. It's pretty much the same thing except Lost Hope has a 20 meter range and Incapacitate is melee range.

Shadowlander

Default Yep Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    That looks a bit wrong.

Lost Hope should be where Incapacitate is; Incapacitate is Assassin not Nightblade. It's pretty much the same thing except Lost Hope has a 20 meter range and Incapacitate is melee range.
    Ya I think your right Kedon, duplicate skill used on nightblade since assassin sould has incapacitate as well.

Yea I dont think that particular planner is up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by nfmus View Post
    The ranged cc makes me want to switch from Ranger/Assassin/Marksman to Ranger/Nightblade/Marksman; have to see if I can still get double weapon enchantments with the same point allocation.
    Nah, assassins get their enchants much earlier than nightblades get their enchants.

Nightblades get one at 6, 20, and 32.

Assassins get theirs at 0, 8, 20 and 38.

Also, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rift/calculator.html. A much better planner.
    Coil - Regulos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast