+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question, bard rogue, how and what?

Soulwalker

Smile Question, bard rogue, how and what?

Greetings all!

I am currently torn between picking a rogue for bard as main and picking a battle cleric. I played cleric cabalist, justicar, purifier in the beta and I liked cleric with melee capabillities. A lot in fact. But I also played a rogue till level 8 and had him as bard and really enjoyed him.

However I do not know which souls fit with the bard. What gives the bard extra damage and help him out with soloing stuff easier. Also I would like to hear your own experiences with the bard and why I should pick them over a cleric(persuade me! )

Looking forward to your experiences!

Cheers!

Shadowlander

I personally chose Bard/Ranger/Riftstalker
    Ranger & Rift stalker for Range / Melee dps but i ran out of time to effectivelly test it though i think alot take marksman from what i have read it all depends on how you personally like to dps and what you want to do with your bard

Telaran

I've seen Ranger a lot as a secondary soul because all of the bards buffs go to his pet.

For a third soul i've mostly seen zero point riftstalker for the escape spell.

Plane Touched

Bard is one of only two souls that is truely focused on buffing (the other being Archon). From what I gather a good buffer can be a major force multiplier in group situations. If you like the idea of making your team much more powerful then Bard is for you.

To improve your damage output I personally would secondary Marksman. If you max out Bard you'll have 15 points in Marksman which gets you very solid ranged attacking ability.

Soulwalker

Heya Edonar,

I play rogue but do not use bard as a primary. I'll still let you know the use I make of it.

I get 12 points in bard to get access to the heal (HoT).
    I also use the buff that increase armor, and the one that increase endurance.

The last thing I use out of bard is the main attack: Cadence, that can't be dodged, parried or evaded, it's pretty cool to quickly build up 3 combo points that I can use on other souls.

I think the bard can be used as a minor soul for extra healing, defenses. Though to use it as a primary, you'll probly need a lot of points to get access to the higher branches skills that are pretty cool.
    I'd say the point of bard as you seems to play it doesn't require more damage output from other classes, just pick up all the passive you can get from the others souls, to increase your resistances.
    Or get the barbed arrows from marksman for some extra crowd control.
    Though forget about melee range attack skills.

Have fun, hope this helped a bit

Soulwalker

I see! Thanks guys, will tinker around with the soul builder a bit more. Can't wait till next beta and headstart Beta will decide what I will play in the headstart hehe.

Oh and guys, I was also wondering what abillities/skills to pick up when leveling to level 10/15. I find it hard to pick the skills to start with xD Advice would be splendid.
    Last edited by Edonar; 01-12-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Shadowlander

also got a bard question (maybe noobish but )

Can you have more than 1 Motif up at a given time

Soulwalker

you can have all the motifs going at once.. the rest of the buffs can only be used one at a time

What's important to understand is that a battle cleric will have a very different playstylr than a bard, specially a full bard. The bard is 100% support. So you don't have direct heals, you don't have eps. You have some hot heals and finisher heals, along with tons of buffs. I feel bards will have to be played by people who really like the buff, support character. A battle cleric, is a melťe dps thtst can heal a bit as well, but will it buff everyone as good as the bard? No.

Will it have better dps? Most likely.

In terms of souls to go with bard, the most mentioned are range for the pet, riftstalker for buff and defense and night blade for energy back with finisher and stealth. Some have also mentioned marksmen.

In short, and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, you must understand that you have 2 different play styles between bard and battle cleric. You CAN go only a bit into bard for regen and the focus on dps with other souls but then you are not really a full bard.
    See our RIFT guides for Shaman, Archon, Chloromancer, Bard and more.

All the Guides, News and Information on the Games YOU play.

Visit our new website at www.GamingWeez.com

Bard can mix well with other souls. I played a riftstalker/assassin/bard as my primary and once into 20's I had enough points to flesh out what I wanted to their minimum. This created a teleporting, tank, stealth rogue that had improved movement speed in and out of stealth, could teleport in and out of stealth and, most importantly, self-heal yet still assist groups.

End result is a rogue that could solo elites without the need for pets.
    Last edited by Tamanous; 01-12-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edonar View Post
    I see! Thanks guys, will tinker around with the soul builder a bit more. Can't wait till next beta and headstart Beta will decide what I will play in the headstart hehe.

Oh and guys, I was also wondering what abillities/skills to pick up when leveling to level 10/15. I find it hard to pick the skills to start with xD Advice would be splendid.
    The soul builder helps so much when trying to figure out where to put your points early on! I would say that if you're going for the 12-point Bard you definitely get the 5 points in extra time on Motifs. 15 seconds just doesn't cut it for reasons of sanity, not to mention energy troubles! Then you would want to grab Invigorated Soul which turns Cadence into a heal as well as Anthem of Glory. From there, you can choose what you prefer to get to 12 points because they aren't really as crucial or awesome as those 3 skills, in my opinion.

And I agree with Weez. Playing Bard is completely different to playing a battle cleric and how you work in a group depends on whether you choose to go full support or if you are more focused on dps by putting points in your other souls. If you want dps, ranger, marksman, or saboteur are good choices.

Been messing around with specs and as far as PvE goes I think I'd be pretty content with Bard/Nightblade/Assassin. Ranger is a good sub if you plan on soloing as primarily a bard - you end up getting a basic tank pet that you can buff and provide steady healing to.

Dunno about your specific choice of cleric souls but I played Shaman/Justicar/Warden and that was tons of fun as well. Comes down to whether you want to DPS or buff. At later levels with the amount of motifs there are you will be spending a lot of your time reapplying buffs even if there is another Bard or 2 to split the workload with.

youll have the fanfair of endurance
    youll switch between anthem of armor / running speed.
    youll macro the 3-4motifs youll pump out every 30secs, one is a heal over time for group/raid.
    youll play cadence from medium distance that damages target and heals everyone.

Your pet gets it all and if done right you can mow through 3-5 depending on size.. (ranger).
    I think nightshade helps as you get a conceal and some cc
    Last edited by Sumnore; 01-12-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

Started a new a group this beta and ran with a warrior, mage, two clerics, with me playing a rogue. I settled on marksman/bard/nightblade, with the intention of playing ranged DPS, with a couple of buffs. When I got to level 10, I respecced out of mm and into bard to try out the RS buff, and got hooked on all the buffing and healing I could do.

Consequently, Iíve decided to focus mostly on bard, as I didnít really need that many ranged or melee attacks. After Iíve hit all my buffs and group HoT, I use an attack chain of cadence (damage/group HoT that builds 3cps), powercord (2cps), and then use a ranged or melee finisher. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Since beta Iíve been doing a bit of tinkering on builders, and Iíve been thinking about trying a bard/saboteur/nightblade. I didnít get a chance to try out saboteur, but it looks like it has a fair bit of AoE damage and some CC. Has anyone given a bard/sab combo a try? Or even played around with a sab? Do sabs use bows and guns still? Or do they only toss grenades and bombs?

So this is slightly off topic, but it is in regards to Bards.

The 31 point talent Virtuoso looks just amazing to me.

Virtuoso - A moment of musical brilliance is displayed. All Codas do not consume Combo POints for the next 15 seconds.
    Lets keep in mind here that Finishers, at 5 Combo Points, do not consume energy. Now the overall power of this talent rather hinges on whether or not Codas cast under the effect of Virtuoso function at max Combo Point power.

Assuming they do, a Bard could pop Virtuoso in, lets say, a hairy encounter and pump out non- stop Coda of Restorations to help out the healers, for 15 seconds straight!
    Substitute other Codas as the situation demands; Virtuoso seems like a talent with absolutely game changing potential.'

Edit:
    Also Anthem if Competence + Street Performer + Improved Anthem of Competence = permenant +20% run speed in combat. Simply awsome for both pve and pvp. Mobility is king in many encounters.
    Last edited by Dexin; 01-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast