+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is healing?

Default How is healing?

I am surprisingly interested in this game.

Having played MMOs for years, and recently looking for something to play other than WoW, Rift has caught my attention. After reading up on the game and watching some gameplay videos, I am almost convinced.

I like to play a healer in any game that has them, including WoW, so the quality of that role is very important to my decision to buy this game.

Is healing actually fun and engaging with a variety of helpful support spells, or just boring casted heals for X amount of green numbers?

Is there a significant difference between healing classes (subclasses? specs? souls? whatever it is?)

Does healing feel like a powerful and meaningful role in a group? In a raid? Can a healer solo?

Can a healer compete in PvP?

What makes healing in Rift different from healing in WoW, EQ, or other MMORPGs?

Any insight into this matter from someone who has actually played as a healer in the beta would be most appreciated.

Healing is an important part of the game. There are a variety of ways to heal others. Each of the 4 callings has a way in which you may heal other players. A cleric specced for healing can do a great job of main healing a party. The other callings will have a harder time main healing, but can support heal. Oftentimes this requires no attention to players' health bars (due to constant AoE healing) others require attention to health bards (spike healing). It depends on your talent build.

Personally I like healing as a bard. You can also heal as a mage while doing damage (chloromancer/necromancer) or as a variety of cleric combos while doing damage or by main healing.

It's a lot of fun so I suggest you try as many builds as you can and find what is most fun to you. It's easy to switch builds so don't worry.

Shadowlander

I play healing roles in WoW myself so I know the frustration of needing to lvl as dps then change spec to heal but the great thing in rift is all of the cleric souls have the ability to solo i think if any of the 4 callins cleric seems imo to be the easiest to solo as.

And (unless they change it) for just 30 gold you can get a second 'Role' so you can build yourself a role/build for soloing and then a pure healing build for grouping /raiding and once you have unlocked all the souls (which unless they change it, they are relatively easy to unlock), you can build up to 4 different role so in theory you could go for 1 role as range dps, another as melee dps, a 3rd as healing and believe it or not a 4th role for tanking (though obviously they arent as powerfull tanks as pure tanking warriors but they can do a pretty good job offtaking/group tanking).

So the uniqueness of Rift is you theoritically only ever need to have 1 Cleric as you can (assuming you can get the gear required) fill any spot required.

And PVP is also very awesome as a Cleric as you can self/group/raid heal but still be able to punch out a not bad amount of DPS.

Keep browsing through the forums and you will soon see the discussions about clerics and see that some people think Clerics are OP but thats for you to decide when you play one (which is really the only way to decide if you like the game imo :P )

Quote Originally Posted by AMG209 View Post
    I play healing roles in WoW myself so I know the frustration of needing to lvl as dps then change spec to heal but the great thing in rift is all of the cleric souls have the ability to solo i think if any of the 4 callins cleric seems imo to be the easiest to solo as.

And (unless they change it) for just 30 gold you can get a second 'Role' so you can build yourself a role/build for soloing and then a pure healing build for grouping /raiding and once you have unlocked all the souls (which unless they change it, they are relatively easy to unlock), you can build up to 4 different role so in theory you could go for 1 role as range dps, another as melee dps, a 3rd as healing and believe it or not a 4th role for tanking (though obviously they arent as powerfull tanks as pure tanking warriors but they can do a pretty good job offtaking/group tanking).

So the uniqueness of Rift is you theoritically only ever need to have 1 Cleric as you can (assuming you can get the gear required) fill any spot required.

And PVP is also very awesome as a Cleric as you can self/group/raid heal but still be able to punch out a not bad amount of DPS.

Keep browsing through the forums and you will soon see the discussions about clerics and see that some people think Clerics are OP but thats for you to decide when you play one (which is really the only way to decide if you like the game imo :P )
    Fascinating. Thanks for the post.

I have been reading through threads and I like what I see, as much of it as I can understand anyway, not having actually played the game :P I play a druid in WoW so the idea of "quad-spec" is very appealing to me.

---

To anyone who might answer: I am curious about the pacing? How fast do health bars come down and how fast can they be brought up? Is this whack-a-mole or would I be filling a barrel with a teaspoon?

Shadowlander

wack a mole with the sentinal, teaspoon in barrel as a support, but the supports are needed just the same.
    a sentinal is the most pure single based healer if i remember right

i like playing bard as i can heal the whole grp/raid with small HoT heals that really seem to help fill in those OH **** gaps

Just to correct one of the responses. While all callings have some healing spells available, only Cleric and Mage calling can actually main-heal a group effectively.

Rogues and Warriors if specced can throw out some minor heals on themselves or party, but you wouldn't take a Bard to heal an instance (well, maybe if you were super-tricked out group, but healing is not the main purpose of hte Bard soul)

Clerics have 3 healing -focused souls that overlap at least in part while Mages have 1 with a couple others that augment it very well. So far in beta, all can effectively main heal a group though an instance or rift raid and different ones are advantageous in different situations.
    Last edited by Arieste; 01-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Soulwalker

Sentinel = group heal + combat res
    Purifier = single target + shield
    Warden = heal over time

Healing work like a charm in PVP and PVE. You can keep someone alive easily and for a long time if nobody try to stop you.
    When they target you, you won't die instantly, you have a great survability but your ally will probably die.
    Isn't frustrating than in other game. You can PVP as a Healer with a group or even in solo cause your damage spell can do the job while you keep yourself alive.
    But when someone have tool againt spellcaster such as stun, silence and other... your chance to stay alive drop significantly.

Being a healer in this game is a blast, pve and pvp.
    The problem with cleric come in the others souls.
    There no buff soul. you can only do small endurance buff, that the thnig missing in the cleric class.
    Last edited by ghaste; 01-12-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Shadowlander

yeah there is that feal that buffs have now moved out of the cleric souls and spread throughout support roles such as bard

i' also a healing druid coming from wow, this thread has been helpful.. I'm excited about main healing.. clearly i need to study the class more

Plane Touched

Buffs are mainly focus in Archon (Mage) and Bard (Rogue).

Also Falcon check out the LotD Rift Builder to see what skills and talents each soul has. Will help you decide what you like.

http://riftbuilder.lotd.org/

Wow. So much variety in this game. Thanks for the link to the builder, I will have to spend a ton of time going through it.

As a current/former resto druid, obviously the Warden seems the closest to home, maybe with a bit of Sentinel and some Druid thrown in? This will take time to sort out, looks like fun.

I am definitely looking to main-heal in pve groups and raids, but it would be great to have some damage abilities for solo and PvP... or maybe separate specs for each? Hmmm.

Makes perfect sense that anti-caster abilities should shut down a healer in PvP, seems like everything has a counter. I'm just glad to hear that healing seems to be taken seriously in PvP, unlike WoW where I am either a free kill in a BG and contribute almost nothing, or a third wheel in arena serving only as a speed bump against the cleave teams.

I'm off to do non-forum things, but by all means keep posting. I'll check back later for more exciting revelations.
    Last edited by Falcon; 01-12-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Talking

I've played two different types of healer in beta so far, so I'll offer up some of what I've experienced. I, too, love to play healers in MMO's and usually enjoy healers with strong cc and/or buffing abilities. I greatly enjoy pvp, so a lot of what I refer to will include how classes perform there!

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...05000:purifier.
    First, I played a Sentinel/Warden with 0point Purifier. I switched around a lot, but I generally split evenly between Sentinel/Warden and tried out the different 18+ abilities on both sides. With those three, you have a healer capable of strong aoe heals, heals over time, and instant casts that really save you in those, "Oh shi-!" moments. I didn't have much difficulty with mp management, in fact, I had to work to really blow my mp bar to pieces in pve. In pvp, they perform excellently and basically like healing classes you've played in WoW and also reminded me of my Runepriest in WAR. The Ripple skill from Wardens is absolutely awesome and many of the basic points you put into either skill tree complement the other very well, so there is a wonderful synergy within the Cleric souls.

I had a Justicar/Shaman role as well and played around with the third soul therein to find a good match for me; not entirely in love with Druid, but the pet was helpful. I was looking to see how it would compare to a Warrior Priest/Disciple of Kain from WAR in terms of up-front melee healing and was relatively disappointed. Group utility is minimal until you travel further down the soul trees (Justicar specifically, meaning you lose some dps/buffs from the Shaman tree). I imagine they will be far more functional at higher levels with more points to spread out, speaking only from a healing perspective; as tank/dps with self-heal they are absolutely awesome. The group heal was fine, but nothing compared to my next healer-type.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...05000:saboteur.
    My second character was a rogue specifically to test out the Bard with Riftstalker/Saboteur as backup; this build is excellent for pvp with survivability, run-the-heck-away abilities, and a lifeleech feel to the healing on top of the excellent group buffs. I felt more useful all around as my Bard than many other classes I've played over the years as it isn't limited to either buffing or healing but manages both while doing respectable amounts of dps. I went far enough into Bard to get Coda of Restoration and in-combat 20% run buff - so much fun. (Dropped Riff to pump more points into Riftstalker, but looking forward to picking it back up next beta!)

I managed 95k healing in one warfront that turned into an exercise in graveyard-camping. Bard healing is a bit trickier than Sentinel/Warden and thus more rewarding (for me). The range on Cadence and CoR is terrible compared to the range of just about every other class in the game. You have to get well within a Marksman/Ranger or Pyro's range to build up combo points with Cadence and if they run off, you have to chase them to redeem your combo points with CoR or cry bitter tears and move on to the next escape artist. Melee enemies (though not the ones with the damn Deathgrip, ugh) are your best friends as they usually can't do enough damage to kill you without some backup focus fire and they politely stay in range for you to heal everyone around you for excellent amounts of hps. Though it feels wrong to do damage on a tank, it does manage to save lives and help peel them off of your fellow healers!

I was surprised by just how much I loved playing Bard. I see many people saying that Bards cannot main heal and I would agree with that to an extent; it is difficult and frustrating to manage energy on rogues in general and with Bards in particular it can be lead to hair-raising moments where you're staring wildly at your action bar talking to Cadence, "Come on, you can do it!" I'm interested in seeing how it works at higher levels as it seems as though a Bard doesn't necessarily seem to have the support skills to perform as well as it does at lower levels which would possibly limit the soul even further in dungeons later on.

I would say that a full-support spec'd Bard can actually manage healing much better than you would expect, even in pve. They feel a bit like Wardens with the tons of HoTs running that seem small until you realize you never had to stop for hp once! I had to stop buffing Motif of Regeneration on trash mobs in dungeons so the main healer would have something to do, and saved butts during accidental over-pulls. On bosses, a Bard doesn't have the necessary last-minute save heals to compete with crits but contributes more than enough that a main healer never has a moment where they realize everything is about to fall down and go boom and even has room to play around a bit.

My wish is to try out a Chloromancer build to see how that compares as well! I imagine a Chloromancer and Bard would work excellently together in a dungeon setting, but I unfortunately never got to party with one while on my Bard to see what I was missing.

Sorry for the novel, but hope that gives you some more insight into the healing classes! They have their pros and cons and very different feel to their actual gameplay, so I would really suggest trying all of them and seeing which callings really make you happiest.

All the healing souls for their uses (Sentinal, Warden, Druid, Bard and Chlormancer). I like the Chlormancer the most of the healing souls but that is because you can heal everyone anywhere in a fight without targetting issues that are in the game now outside of Parties and Raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbrand View Post
    All the healing souls for their uses (Sentinal, Warden, Druid, Bard and Chlormancer). I like the Chlormancer the most of the healing souls but that is because you can heal everyone anywhere in a fight without targetting issues that are in the game now outside of Parties and Raids.
    You forgot to list Purifier a big healing spec for cleric. Something not mentioned that I saw is that unlike a wow cleric clerics in rift wear chain no matter what soul they play. This aids in their survivability. I liked the little fairy pet the druid gets. she helps to keep the druid heal and gives a little buff as well as does some minor help in dps. I also love playing my chloromancer and her ability to places a...umm...not sure what to call it. but the spores do damage then anyone who hit the target while under the spores get some heal from the damage they do the target. You can see the soul mixes I tried in beta in my sig...though didn't get much a chance to really try out my cleric I hope to get in next beta to try her and the others out more.
    Beta Server Beryl Now Live Server Shadefallen Guild: NCIS - New Chaos Inc. Society NCIS.Guildlaunch.com
    Barashi Kalari dual roll tank Reaver/Pally/Void knight and Pally/Void Knight/Warlord DPS Roll Para/Champ/Riftblade Professions: Miner/Butcher/Armorsmith
    Kyari Kalari Sentinel/Warren/Purifier Professions: Butcher/Forager/Alchemist
    Hakumei Eth Bladedancer/Bard/Riftstalker Miner/Forager/Artificer

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStarlea View Post
    You forgot to list Purifier a big healing spec for cleric. Something not mentioned that I saw is that unlike a wow cleric clerics in rift wear chain no matter what soul they play. This aids in their survivability. I liked the little fairy pet the druid gets. she helps to keep the druid heal and gives a little buff as well as does some minor help in dps. I also love playing my chloromancer and her ability to places a...umm...not sure what to call it. but the spores do damage then anyone who hit the target while under the spores get some heal from the damage they do the target. You can see the soul mixes I tried in beta in my sig...though didn't get much a chance to really try out my cleric I hope to get in next beta to try her and the others out more.
    Yes you are correct. 6 healing souls to choose from in the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast