+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting mage spec. Can be used both for PvP and PvE

Rift Chaser

Default Interesting mage spec. Can be used both for PvP and PvE

I been looking over the mage souls (have not tried in the game yet) but it would be for kiting in PvP, and kiting AE in PvE. You can root mobsin ae, and slow em 75%. So if you get a warrior to gather mobs you could AE em to death rpolly wi thhe channeled AE root spells etc.

But the interesting thing comes for PvP. I specced up the Elementalist with as much pet focus as possible. Cuz the pet will do indefinet dmg if you let it. Its like a nasty dot thats always on. So basicly you have ALOT of snare and root controll with he stormcaller, and alot of dmg with the elementalist pet. So you an controll people (technically) while giving em steady dmg.

I have not tried the elemtalist, so I have no diea how much dmg the pet actually gives. If people turn to kill the pet, well obviously you let em have it with the stormcaller single target abilties, or elemntal ones (I think stormcaller is more dmg tho)

What do you guys think, viable spec?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2_618,5_619,4_
    Last edited by drack; 01-12-2011 at 05:03 AM.

You didn't post the build itself, so we can't comment.

Do you have a particular build in mind or are you asking us to make one for you?

τΏτ

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAxe View Post
    You didn't post the build itself, so we can't comment.

Do you have a particular build in mind or are you asking us to make one for you?

τΏτ
    I am a moron, sorry. I have put the link in =P

for me that is a not good build, but i will not share anyadvice here all i can do for you work bit more.
    "Love is not about finding the right person, but creating a right relationship. It's not about how much love you have in the beginning but how much love you build till the end"
    CPU: AMD X6 @ 3.00 GHz MB: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H R2 RAM: Patriot 3x2 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. HDD: Seagate 1 TB 32, Sata3 (7200RPM) GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack OS: Windows 7 (x64) SP1

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    for me that is a not good build, but i will not share anyadvice here all i can do for you work bit more.
    How come? Do you mean not a goo build for you, personally. Or do you mean you dont think its gonna work in general?

Check out the Necromancer...their pets are a LOT better.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    Yea? I think elementalist had some preety nice buffs for the pets.. hehe. Never tried any of the pet classes tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    the greater air elemental pet pulls 40 dps - that's not bad. not sure what the higher lvl necro pets pull.

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

The elementalist pet is excellent. There's no reason to suggest that the necro pet is any better. Plus you have better synergy with Stormcaller as an elementalist.

Your build is good. You can CC and nuke small groups of mobs with this solo. Level this up and keep it as one of your roles. I recommend you also try an elementalist/chloromancer or elementalist/stormcaller/chloromancer combo. The AoE heals of Chloromancer hit your pet, so you can herd enemies together with your earth elemental before following up with CC/nuke combos. That will be more difficult to do without some extra healing.

If you have a warrior friend to herd you could bring out your air elemental for extra DPS and go with a stronger dps role.

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    I been looking over the mage souls (have not tried in the game yet) but it would be for kiting in PvP, and kiting AE in PvE. You can root mobsin ae, and slow em 75%. So if you get a warrior to gather mobs you could AE em to death rpolly wi thhe channeled AE root spells etc.

But the interesting thing comes for PvP. I specced up the Elementalist with as much pet focus as possible. Cuz the pet will do indefinet dmg if you let it. Its like a nasty dot thats always on. So basicly you have ALOT of snare and root controll with he stormcaller, and alot of dmg with the elementalist pet. So you an controll people (technically) while giving em steady dmg.

I have not tried the elemtalist, so I have no diea how much dmg the pet actually gives. If people turn to kill the pet, well obviously you let em have it with the stormcaller single target abilties, or elemntal ones (I think stormcaller is more dmg tho)

What do you guys think, viable spec?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2_618,5_619,4_
    I used Elementalist to level to 27. I would say that you need more ability to heal in your build. 0 pts in Cholormancer for Radiant spores should do it. I'd drop the Elementalist Sacrfice ability. Your Earth Elemental is keeping mobs off you. If you are in trouble in PvE, it doesn't make sense to kill it to self-heal.

Shift one point in Elemental Link to Tempest. Elemental Link doesn't seem worth the points. Tempest is definitely worth the 5 points.

If your going to level up with Elementalist, then you'll want 5 in Velocity for a while.

Wrong, their pets are much worse both in dps output, required level of attention like debuffing the target with pet specific debuffs and such.

To the OP. Picking up the elemental damage debuff in elementalist to its fullest is mandatory. Sacrifice is useless, drop it and get that last point into the critdamage talent.

And btw, this spec is terrible for pvp, for so many reasons I'd get old while trying to explain you. Just one thing. NEVER EVER even think of a pvp build without archmage. Because, you know, you dont have to make compromises and try to stuff things for both pvp and pve in one build, you have four roles and unlimited respecs.

Shadowlander

I also wanted to second that the Elementalist pets are great. Unlike the Necromancer pets, Elementalist pets are not very reliant upon you to boost their effectiveness.

For your Elementalist build I would recommend:
    1.) Spend one point to get Exposure. It's an extremely cheap talent to increase both you and your pets damage by 5%, and it has synergy with your Stormcaller abilities.
    2.) Drop Sacrifice; it's only a marginally useful PvP spell.
    3.) I would probably drop a point from Planar Expansion to fill Tempest.

For your Stormcaller build I would recommend:
    1.) I would drop all 5 points from Lightning Mastery. I don't think you should have many problems between having Recharge and Revitalize.
    2.) I would remove the 2 points from Lightning Rod. You should not be casting while something is beating on you; you are just too fragile.
    3.) I would spend 1 point to complete High Voltage.
    4.) I would spend 3 points to get improved Electrocute. This skill works great with Shell Shock.
    5.) I would spend 3 points to get Inductance. Air spells will be your primary form of damage since they are the quicker casting (1.5s versus water's 2.5s) spell.
    [6.) For PvP, I would seriously consider shifting 1 point to get Stormguard.]

Overall, Elementalist and Stormcaller work great together. For PvE, I would recommend using a Chloromancer (0 points) for Radiant Spores, as someone else mentioned (your earth pet can easily tank several mobs so transmogrify is not really needed). For PvP, I would probably go back to Dominator for Transmogrify as they will be coming after you and not your pet.

Overall your specs look great. These are only suggestions, so be as unique as you want to be! :P

Also, as the poster above mentioned, you might want to consider another build that includes the Archmage for PvP; although I know this means not getting both your 31 talent skills.
    Last edited by spector_0_0; 01-12-2011 at 07:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread