+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maximizing Group Synergy for Grinding

Default Maximizing Group Synergy for Grinding

The game release gets closer day by day and I've started to think about the more or less optimal setup for a group to level with. I'll be (most likely) starting the game with 3 of my friends and we're planning to level together (at least we'll level these 4 characters together).

This brings the question of optimizing synergies between the 4 of us for maximum effectiveness on leveling. I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter and I'll present a quick sketch of what I've come up with so far. If you would like to give your opinion, do not feel restricted to a) have 4 players in the group instead of 3 or 5 or b) to include all four classes in the composition.

As a starting point, it would seem reasonable to have one of each class/archetype for maximum versatility. Additionally, I'm more or less fond of AoE damage, and it might make some sense to just AoE everything down, when doing the content with as much as 4 of us. There are a lot of talents and spells targeting 3-6 enemies instead of doing area damage, but I'd still see them as "AoE", more or less, even though they aren't that literally.

The following group compostion is aiming to get good AoE damage combined with good survival ability. Survival ability might come to test as we continue to get too confident about pulling crazy packs and end up wasting time on wiping.

Warrior: Reaver/Paladin/x. Reaver for AoE death damage and AoE tanking, some Paladin in the mix for better single target tanking and added survivalablity. The reaver +10% damage for all up in the tree is pretty good too for the group.

Mage: Warlock/Necro/Chloro. Together lock and necro souls can debuff enemy death resistance for -10 and add +15% death damage to target. Chloro gives the 30% chance to return 100% damage dealt as health. This would be a warlock-heavy build for massive death AoE, having 13 from chloro and 11 from Necro (for the AoE talent).

Cleric: Cabalist/x/x, maybe warden/sentinel. The main healer, especially carrying the tank healing, while dealing massive death AoE damage with cabalist abilities. Cabalist also debuffs target for -15 death resist and +15% death dmg taken.

Rogue: Bard/Marks/x. Bard for sp&ap buffs, some healing, +5% crit etc, was thinking about going just 12 points on the bard soul/tree. Marksman does pretty good multitarget/AoE damage and if there will be something that's immune to death damage, Marksman will be the only one pounding on it with full force. Marks also buffs damage taken on multiple mobs by 10%, which is pretty nifty.

All in all the buffs quickly amount to -25 death resist and +30% death damage taken on targets with some +20% to all damage, on top of all the buffs everyone has for themselves. 3 of the 4 players in this group can carry their part of the healing, so survivalability should be pretty good, especially with the bards buffs.

For instances and dungeons, it might be wise to tune the specs a bit less towards massive AoE stuff, but as there are all the different classes in the group, there'll always be a way to get the content done optimally.

What did you think about this group? What would you change? Tell me about your riftblade + 3 pyromancers fantasies! Tell us your own optimal group setup!

Waiting on the release,

Karhu

Source for the abilities etc: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rift/calculator.html

This is something you'll probably end up tweaking as you go along. However, you should really know that there's absolutely no reason to do this. Leveling up is so easy solo that grouping together for leveling up is a joke.

Grouping together for instances is one thing, and you can certainly level up in there, but you'll be missing out on a huge amount of rewards and fast experience you could be getting from doing the quests outside of the instances. I can only imagine that people solo questing will outlevel you easily, so optimizing a 4 man group isn't going to do much good while leveling up.

You and your friends should level up and then optimize yourselves for instance runs along the way (i.e. everyone get to level 16 and then optimize for IT or RoF). That way you experience all the game's content and level faster. At endgame you'll all do great.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAxe View Post
    This is something you'll probably end up tweaking as you go along. However, you should really know that there's absolutely no reason to do this. Leveling up is so easy solo that grouping together for leveling up is a joke.

Grouping together for instances is one thing, and you can certainly level up in there, but you'll be missing out on a huge amount of rewards and fast experience you could be getting from doing the quests outside of the instances. I can only imagine that people solo questing will outlevel you easily, so optimizing a 4 man group isn't going to do much good while leveling up.
    Yeah I've heard it's pretty easy to solo, but I was thinking that we could open up and do rifts fast by ourselves and get all the quest mobs killed pretty fast, if we can just keep pulling enough for it to make any sense, which would require some mobs to actually be around. Additionally, I guess we could find some "AoE spots" somewhere where this would make sense? Or do this kind of spots seem to be completely nonexistant?

Combining some instance action, AoE grinding (which can be pretty fun) and doing some big questlines, this might be viable if not faster? I'm not actually that disappointed if it's a bit slower even, as we're more or less in for enjoying the group experience all the way.

Do you or does anyone else have information about the experience gain from killing mobs with group of 4? Or maybe with group of 3 or 5? I've heard it's about ~70% of solo xp when grouping size of two, iirc.

Edit: On AoE grinding, I remeber leveling extremly fast with a big group at the very end of Age of Conan leveling, clearing this one huge camp with 3-5 pulls and starting over again. I was hoping something like this could be done on this game too, but haven't seen enought content and information to be sure.
    Last edited by Karhu; 01-12-2011 at 03:28 AM.

I can't really think of a place that would have enough mobs for this. You certainly could take care of rifts pretty fast, but you'd be traveling from rift to rift. You still wouldn't be able to tackle most invasions. Invasions are stupidly OP at the moment so you'll just get run over unless you start fighting the invasion right when it starts at the foothold.

Again I think the fastest group experience available is in the instance. You could run the same instance over and over until you've outleveled it, but it would be boring and likely slower than just questing.

In a group of 4 you could probably quest a little faster, though. When going through the quest areas you could get your team to clean that area of all mobs before moving on. It might be good. If you find one with a fast respawn rate you may be able to stay there for a while and completely prevent other people from doing their quests for 10-15 minutes before moving on a more fruitful spot.

+ Reply to Thread