+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The game looks incredible, question about viable classes further in...

Rift Disciple

Default The game looks incredible, question about viable classes further in...

So after plenty of info and hype i am totally stoked about this game. The hard part now is deciding which class among so many amazing choices!

What would help me and im not sure how far anyone got in beta but what would help is to know if certain classes become sort of obsolete later on in the game. Meaning if you arent really a tank or healer, then most likely you arent that valuable to a group. Not that DPS isnt valuable but what i mean is the game setup to where a group is forming and youre lets say a rogue, will people want you for specific reasons or are you considered just "another" DPS class that we dont really need because mages are better or warriors etc...or does all classes bring something to the table specifically that makes people want them all in a group for various reasons?

Im torn, i love mage classes, stealthers and warrior type dps classes...but im just not sure what to roll with here. I think what id love is a class that can be a nice balance between soloing and being needed within a group. Can anyone help me narrow down choices a bit?

Is it best to definitly mix match classes or can someone be a pure assassin lets say, or a pure ranger, warrior etc...

I dont know all there is to know about the game yet so bare with me but i definitly am dying to play it hopefully in the next beta to really test things out.

You can do all of the above. There are very few combinations that just don't work. Necromancer/Elementalist doesn't work because both are pet classes and you can't have both of their pets out at once.

Beyond that, there are very few things that can't do a job. You can be a pure healer, pure tank, pure dps, pure support, or any combination of those and still contribute.

One of my favourite combos so far is bard/marksman/ranger. You never know what is going to be a great combination until you start looking at them closely and giving them a try. There are 1,600 combinations not including the pvp souls, so have fun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAxe View Post
    You can do all of the above. There are very few combinations that just don't work. Necromancer/Elementalist doesn't work because both are pet classes and you can't have both of their pets out at once.

Beyond that, there are very few things that can't do a job. You can be a pure healer, pure tank, pure dps, pure support, or any combination of those and still contribute.

One of my favourite combos so far is bard/marksman/ranger. You never know what is going to be a great combination until you start looking at them closely and giving them a try. There are 1,600 combinations not including the pvp souls, so have fun.
    CryHavoc golden?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAxe View Post

You know its a double edged sword, i love that but its also sooo overwhelming. Heres a better question...how does Trion setup respecs, or is there no way to respec?

Also how is the pvp...is it like any past MMOs? I came from many great mmos like DAOC and i loved the realm vs realm, grouping and solo was just great...if someone plays a stealther in Rift is that a fairly fun open killing type class to use to where you can head out stealthed and really pick some people off?

PvP seems most comparable to WAR and to WoW battlegrounds.

Respecs are easy. You can reset the talents within a soul at any trainer. In addition you can swap your souls out in the field. Any set of 3 souls (along with the talents chosen) is saved as a role. You can have up to 4 roles and it only takes 2 seconds to switch roles in the field. So, if you feel as though you don't like your current setup you can switch to a completely different 3 soul setup in 2 seconds.

My rogue can be a bard one minute and an assassin the next. The only thing limiting that is gear and player skill.

The only thing that you can never change about your character is its calling (warrior, rogue, cleric, or mage). So you have a big decision to make as to which of those four archetypical callings you want.

Rift Disciple

Sounds pretty awesome. I actually never played WAR, when DAOC died i kind of stayed out of the MMO scene for a bit...how was WARs pvp setup?

Like i said is it kind of like you have groups vs groups and then stealthers have a world of stealth battles goin on and what not? Or is it mainly just big groups plowing each other?

I got to say though picking between warrior, mage and rogue callings is going to be tough...i want them all lol

There's never been anything exactly like DAoC pvp. The pvp in Rift typically revolves around small skermishes (10-15 people on each side) fighting in instanced minigames (Warfronts) with certain objectives depending on the warfront. These include holding positions, capturing items, killing players etc. There are also pvp servers with additional open world pvp rulesets, but that's typically just ganking in a fashion similar to DAoC outside of RvR.

+ Reply to Thread