+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger/Marksman/Assassin gameplay

Soulwalker

Default Ranger/Marksman/Assassin gameplay

When I was trying the beta this weekend, I think I may have found a glitch in the gameplay of a Ranger/Marksman/Assassin.

Did anyone notice that once you were attacked in melee range that there was a 3-5 second lag time in switching between ranged to melee attacks? I specifically noticed this when I did this on auto-attack.

Is it that the switch is supposed to be better done with a special move rather than auto-attack? Having a "dead spot" tends to be quite lethal....and it was annoying doing a right-click for auto-attack only to see my character stand frozen and get "smacked" on by a mob.

Also, it doesn't seem that Ranger pets don't seem to have much "aggro-keeping" ability, especially the Dire Wolf. I found myself pulling aggro off my pets quite quickly.

Let me know if I'm missing anything here. Let's discuss this. I know I really shouldn't compare this to WoW gameplay so much, but it's hard not to since my primary character in WoW is a hunter.

Gotta be your internet then I had no lag and played the same spec
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Soulwalker

as ranger/markman/riftstalker would take only a second to switch to daggers while autoattacking but i found using a melee ability was instant , as soon as they are in close started spamming dagger ability , build up combo points then take 2 steps back and use ranged finisher . didnt notice any time in switching when using abilities they were instant.

definitely noticed direwolf could not hold aggro as well as the boar , i stuck with boar into lvl20+as its skilled leveled more than wolf and had good abilties / keep aggro

I noticed no delay while playing exactly the same build. I did, however, love that sweet spot where I could use melee and ranged abilities at the same time. And that ugly boar pet is awesome for getting a foe's attention and keeping it.
    Last edited by shawnculli; 01-12-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRiftman View Post
    Also, it doesn't seem that Ranger pets don't seem to have much "aggro-keeping" ability, especially the Dire Wolf. I found myself pulling aggro off my pets quite quickly.
    i know how you feel about wow and hunters. i played wow from launch to lich. i also played eq2 from launch to present and still playing. horizons i played for a while as well. so i have had my share of MMOs.

i want to first start by saying a few things and dont take them to negatively.
    this is not wow. you do not tame pets. you do not feed pets. you do not level up pets. you do not have a pet skill tree (that ive seen so far). you do not have taunt on your pets like "growl" as i think it was called but its been a while so i dunno.
    in conclusion like the rift commercial says "you are not in azeroth anymore"

now to your actual question. your dire wolf is not a tank companion. your dire wolf is more a dps companion made for when you are grouping with others, it effectively has no taunts. your boar on the other hand has a taunt and an attack. your boar will keep things off you more effectively. also remember that you can use the taunt buff that you get from the ranger skill tree if you invest the points that temporarily transfers more hate to your pet. this can help should even your boar lose aggro for some odd reason.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Plane Touched

Using an actual melee type ability instead of trying to go to auto attack will make your weapons change faster. The delay in the switch of weapons by use of auto attack could be the result of your auto attack cooldown. This means if your bow just shot an auto attack, you can not auto attack again until that cooldown is expired, regardless of what weapon you are trying to auto attack with. This will cause near a 3 second delay at times. Simply hit a normal melee type ability and you will instantly switch weapons.

I completely and 100% agree that the wolf fails to keep aggro and I am extremely happy with that. The wolf is more of a dps pet, has less HP, no defensive abilities and no taunts. That being said, you are basically asking a dps pet to tank for you. Put the wolf pet back in the bag unless you are in a group, or intend on tanking the mobs yourself. Further down the line you will get a stronger tank pet that will hold aggro better than the razorbeast. Until that time however, you need to use the razor if you want something to keep aggro off you. Don;t use a dps pet as a tank, it is never going to work.

I hope this helps you with your issues.
    Last edited by MarshaII; 01-12-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    If a rogue can do it, I do it. If a rogue can't do it, I do it anyway.

Soulwalker

The time in switching would make since since the auto-attack CD is there. I guess I just really didn't notice it existed until now. Thanks all for the input!! I'm LOVING these Rogue builds!!

Rift Chaser

Actually it bugs me far more that Swift Shot and Hasted Shot increase the enemy MOBS run speed as well as mine.

Try kiting a mob without a pet and you will notice that no matter what your run speed is the mob will increase its speed too in sync with you.

EDIT: Also about ranger pets.

The pig is a tank... its the only tank pet available to Ranger.
    It's a fairly good tank too.
    Do people even read the attacks that the pets have?
    It literally says on the tool tip something like "creates threat" or something to that effect on the pig's attacks..

Generates threat = tank.
    Looks cool because its a wolf does not mean tank.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.

y do u hav 2 sey pig pet is thank wen u can thank wit welf u jus ned mor pints n welf abelty
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

+ Reply to Thread