+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speculating on the remaining mage souls.

Default Speculating on the remaining mage souls.

I know lots of you are hoping for a necromancer (unhealthy obsession with death ). Others want some sort of cc'er, coercer or enchanter type.

What other mage subtypes do you all think are likely?

Unhealthy? Just because my skin is falling off doesnt make me unhealthy! NEED MORE SKELETONS!

White Mage
    Black Mage
    Red Mage
    Blue Mage
    Time Mage
    Summoner

But seriously,
    Necro specializing in pets, dots, and debuffs
    Enchanter specializing in equipment augment buffs and cc
    Coercer specializing in cc, charmed pets, and debuffs
    Bloodmage specializing in life taps and hp buffs/debuffs
    Druid specializing in earth or life related abilities
    Chrono something specializing in time altering magic of course

I can't think of anything else ATM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3250&dateline=1279205  221
    <PAIN >

Quote Originally Posted by Acebreus View Post
    White Mage
    Black Mage
    Red Mage
    Blue Mage
    Time Mage
    Summoner

But seriously,
    Necro specializing in pets, dots, and debuffs
    Enchanter specializing in equipment augment buffs and cc
    Coercer specializing in cc, charmed pets, and debuffs
    Bloodmage specializing in life taps and hp buffs/debuffs
    Druid specializing in earth or life related abilities
    Chrono something specializing in time altering magic of course

I can't think of anything else ATM.
    Alright, take a deep breath and repeat after me while slamming face on keyboard.

This is not WoW, this is not WoW, this is not WOW, THIS IS NOT WOW.

There, much better. ha ha.

On a more serious note, i'd like to see some more out of the box mages.

Blood mage is overdone. I'd rather the enchanter be more like.... Tim. And Necromancers summoning the dead and such is great but running around town with decomposing bodies of the dead is a bit silly.
    Last edited by Nimsul; 08-23-2010 at 09:12 PM.

We'll almost certainly be getting mages that specialize in the remaining four elements:

Air mages serving as a little bit dps (with the usual gusts of wind and bolts of lightning), and a little bit crowd control (mind control being a major part of the Air Dragon Cult, suggests this, I think)

Earth mages having stoneskin-style defensive buffs and the ability to improve metal weapons, which lets them act as melee mages.

Water mages perhaps getting some healing ability, and some crowd control via ice spells.

Life mages.... well, clerics are already getting the Druid so... maybe a shapeshifting class?

No clue on the last class.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    Alright, take a deep breath and repeat after me while slamming face on keyboard.

This is not WoW, this is not WoW, this is not WOW, THIS IS NOT WOW.

There, much better. ha ha.

On a more serious note, i'd like to see some more out of the box mages.

Blood mage is overdone. I'd rather the enchanter be more like.... Tim. And Necromancers summoning the dead and such is great but running around town with decomposing bodies of the dead is a bit silly.
    Actually, none of the classes he listed are in WoW...with the exception of the Druid but I can guarantee you that's not what he had in mind. The rest of them are from EQ2 and Final Fantasy. Sorry, just kind of bugs me that WoW is a scapegoat even for those that are this unfamiliar with it.

On topic, a Chronomage of some sort would be awesome. I could see it having buffs that make it like attacks against you never happened or double casts of your own spells( or allies). I could see myself withering my enemies by aging them 100 years in seconds kind of like a dot with a gradually increasing slow. I definitely see them adding another pet class though..most likely a necromancer.

Telaran

Since the elementalist seams to be just another nuker with decoration pet, I call:

A true summoner class - Single pet class, with all of it's damage done by the pet, sporting buffs and heals and a very limited amount of curses.

I'd like to see a Seer/Mesmer/Mystic type class. This would probably be the CC soul in the archetype (controlling time with a powerful mind and such).

I wouldn't be surprised to see a caster that has some way of making use of melee combat possibly. Battlemage has been thrown around the board.

Might see something come up like an Archmage.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is possibly making a mage class that is able to walk around with invisibility (unseen like your basic rogue/assassin) and making the class have some decent openers to get the jump on it's opponent.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.

KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

i say Spell-Thrower
    if im right, i get a cookie, ok?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Quote Originally Posted by Azren View Post
    Since the elementalist seams to be just another nuker with decoration pet, I call:

A true summoner class - Single pet class, with all of it's damage done by the pet, sporting buffs and heals and a very limited amount of curses.
    Interestingly enough, I think the Elementalist is a true pet class as you'd call it. In the class description it pretty much says without the pet they're pretty terrible. Verbatim it reads:

"Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness, for an Elementalist without their summoned minions is just a frail scholar with minor magic at their disposal." http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/m...ementalist.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bartolomaeus View Post
    Interestingly enough, I think the Elementalist is a true pet class as you'd call it. In the class description it pretty much says without the pet they're pretty terrible. Verbatim it reads:

"Their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness, for an Elementalist without their summoned minions is just a frail scholar with minor magic at their disposal." http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/m...ementalist.php
    people saw level 1 gameplay, of a guy that did not use the pet to initiate the battle, and they think that if a level 1 elementalist 2-3 hits a level 1 mob (just like a pyro does) it is a nuker
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Something a bit different would be nice. Maybe a 'Kinetic Mage' who can throw a tank at a boss for a huge shield bash damage with a massive increase in agro for the tank, or throw a melee dps at a mob for huge damage, or give a buff to a ranged physical damage class to give their arrows/bullets extra 'thrust' and therefor damage.

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    people saw level 1 gameplay, of a guy that did not use the pet to initiate the battle, and they think that if a level 1 elementalist 2-3 hits a level 1 mob (just like a pyro does) it is a nuker
    Sadly, most of what we can do at this point is assume, which sucks. I know there's a lot of misinformation floating around on these forums due to all the speculation. There are people who think that Telara's "rifts" are the same as Aion's which leads me to believe that most of them have never even read anything on the main site or even taken the time to watch any of the developer diaries which would answer most of the basic questions they have.

As far as the elementalist 2-3 shotting a lvl 1 mob that's not too far off of what most games offer for the first few levels these days...the healers can probably do it too. We'll have to wait and see what Trion's real approach to pets are in the near future as more info becomes available. For all we know at this point pets may only be dots with special graphics...you never know.

Sadly, most of what we can do at this point is assume, which sucks. I know there's a lot of misinformation floating around on these forums due to all the speculation. There are people who think that Telara's "rifts" are the same as Aion's which leads me to believe that most of them have never even read anything on the main site or even taken the time to watch any of the developer diaries which would answer most of the basic questions they have.
    i agree, saw the thread
    more people on mmorpg.com think RIFT is an AZN game like Aion was which is lol
    As far as the elementalist 2-3 shotting a lvl 1 mob that's not too far off of what most games offer for the first few levels these days...the healers can probably do it too. We'll have to wait and see what Trion's real approach to pets are in the near future as more info becomes available. For all we know at this point pets may only be dots with special graphics...you never know.
    that was exactly my point, you can't compare level 1 gameplay, most classes kill level 1-2 mobs in the same time
    plus there are people complaining the pet is useless, when they did not even try it, only saw a guy attacking a mob w/o issuing the pet to attack

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    i agree, saw the thread
    more people on mmorpg.com think RIFT is an AZN game like Aion was which is lol

that was exactly my point, you can't compare level 1 gameplay, most classes kill level 1-2 mobs in the same time
    plus there are people complaining the pet is useless, when they did not even try it, only saw a guy attacking a mob w/o issuing the pet to attack
    True enough, but until beta, not many will try it. The problem is that in the video we saw, the pet dealt 3 damage while the nuke did 16, and the attack speed was almost the same. The second poroblem was that as he leveled up at the end of the video, he gained another nuke. An official skill list would be nice... or at least an explanation on the classes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast