+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranger question

Telaran

Default Ranger question

Hey

Is there anyone who knows if the ranger can catch pets as in wow or if pets are limited to 1 or 2 that the ranger learns to summon by skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Limited View Post
    Hey

Is there anyone who knows if the ranger can catch pets as in wow or if pets are limited to 1 or 2 that the ranger learns to summon by skills?
    We haven't gotten any confirmed information on that either way yet.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

"Rangers are consummate hunters who know the strengths and weaknesses of every beast, taming animal companions to augment their considerable prowess in ranged combat."

Source: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/rogue/ranger.php
    "Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts."

*shameless plug*

Wonderful question for the Ranger thread with over 183 replies ;)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ted-classes%29

I think Thekk_Kheelan is probably on the right track. Low level Rangers in the demos have a pet, probably a selection or race based (like how WoW will have it in Cataclysm). The "mini game" of collecting pets out in the wild is very fun and Trion would be silly to drop that opportunity from the Ranger/Hunter player base.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Quote Originally Posted by Faelor View Post
    *shameless plug*

Wonderful question for the Ranger thread with over 183 replies ;)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ted-classes%29

I think Thekk_Kheelan is probably on the right track. Low level Rangers in the demos have a pet, probably a selection or race based (like how WoW will have it in Cataclysm). The "mini game" of collecting pets out in the wild is very fun and Trion would be silly to drop that opportunity from the Ranger/Hunter player base.
    I agree.

The Hunter in WoW is the only class I find interesting enough to play in that game, and pet taming is about 90% of the fun.

Is WoW dropping pet taming with Cataclysm ???
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    Is WoW dropping pet taming with Cataclysm ???
    No, but you start off with a pet that is based off your race at level 1. So rather than having a new player pick the hunter because of the pet and potentially quit the game prematurely because they don't understand why they don't start off with them, they'll have one right at character creation.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Rift Master

The only problem with taming/charming pets is balance. Some mobs are just too unbalanced to be used as pets. Very few games have found the balance and even when they do there is always one or two holes left open. Case in point EQ2 Coerser could charm a goblin which would drowned other mobs in the zone. I've seen one doing over 200k DPS by itself. Bring a Coerser into that zone mad it a cake walk.

Default Ranger Question

From what I've seen on Youtube you don't tame pets, you get abilities such as Summon Lesser Razorbeats... Or something, which is sad cus you don't get such a connection with your pet... I don't think you can even name them, but it's early days yet...

I'm a ranged class fan, so it's 95% that I'll play ranger as main char, and since rangers use pets, my question would be: How good will be pet's aggro? I've seen some clips and as soon as ranger made a hit, mod turned and ran to ranger. Will there be a way to loose aggro (like feign death in WoW).

Also, will ranger have to stant still when shooting or will he be able to shoot while running?
    lolwut?

Quote Originally Posted by Demonsaso View Post
    I'm a ranged class fan, so it's 95% that I'll play ranger as main char, and since rangers use pets, my question would be: How good will be pet's aggro? I've seen some clips and as soon as ranger made a hit, mod turned and ran to ranger. Will there be a way to loose aggro (like feign death in WoW).

Also, will ranger have to stant still when shooting or will he be able to shoot while running?
    Haven't seen any vids with the ranger doing anything but running with a pet and using a sword.

Shadowlander

On the Ranger's soul tree as it is known at this moment, the ranger doesn't seem to get a taming skill, but several summoning skills instead.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=rogue

Telaran

This really blows I dont want to summon the pets :P

It makes sense from a balance perspective. Pets are one of the defining features of the class so they have to show up early in the tree. However if pets were acquired via an early taming skill any quick dip in the class would give you an un-levelcapped pet. Via summons you get early level limited pets and have to invest heavily in the class to get the uncapped pets that will be useful at high levels.

On that RiftRoleBuilder when building full ranger, you get pet summons in the root of the tree, but there's another summon upwards Call: Shadow Stalker. Is this second pet or what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ids7HNp4tjQ
    lolwut?

Telaran

I dont think it is a matter of balance. In wow they have no problem with this.
    I think it is a matter of money and time. It got to take long time balancing all the pets for the ranger. Much easier to just give them a few pets to summon. As rift have so many classes it will be hard to make all of them as fun as other classes in other games.

Its just a shortcut from trions side

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast