+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bards... Yes, I love the music (2 Questions)

Default Bards... Yes, I love the music (2 Questions)

Unlike what I have been hearing on the forums, I love the Bard music. I played Chloromancer/Archon for every BETA and, on Sunday night of this last BETA I decided to try a Bard. I LOVED IT. I've always played the support, jack of all trades kind of class in every MMO i've played. I immediately was hooked. Playing the Motifs every 30 secs doesn't bother me b/c Im used to putting down totems all the time with my Shaman. Needless to say.. I am HOOKED!

I do have 2 questions that I was hoping some of you could answer:

1) How common do you think Bards will be?
    Why the question: I think a music playing character might be attractive to some. Hoewever, I also know that this support character that doesn't do anything very well (except support) is not attractive to many who want to be very good at DPSin, Healing, etc. Also, it seems that most Motifs (except regenration) do NOT stack. Hence, in an end-game raiding situation, a raid will only bring 1 bard. If there's 1000000 bards, then it'll definitely be hard finding a guild that'll take you. Assuming you are good.
    So... Do you see the Bard as a highly played class with 1 bard around every corner?

2) I was looking at this build for high -end because of the full bard, + ranger pet and +AP buff and Nightblade Energy back with finishers + extra finisher damage

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2414,4_2419,5_
    Thoughts?

Thanks!
    See our RIFT guides for Shaman, Archon, Chloromancer, Bard and more.

All the Guides, News and Information on the Games YOU play.

Visit our new website at www.GamingWeez.com

Plane Walker

It's nice for the first 10 minutes but when you hear it throughout an hour long instance you start to go apesht

I think Bards will have a good following. You might not see many people go with Bard as a main, especially when soloing, but I think Bards can be quite a force in PvP. I didn't try it in beta but I think as a Marksmen, getting to 5 combo points is quite fast as a bard.

General of Telara

• Bard motifs/anthems/fanfares only affect up to 10 people total. Don't know what the maximum raid size is but they'll need more than 1 bard.
    • Bards have lots of anthems and fanfares which are only 1-per bard -- There's benefit to having extra bards as long as they coordinate which fanfares/anthems they use.
    • Regarding the music, I'm sure Trion will simply make an option to turn off Bard music for those who don't like it.
    • Bards are actually quite exceptional at survivability when it comes to soloing. You definitely don't have much DPS but the heals can keep you alive very effectively. I switched to my bard spec when I was PVE'ing for situations that I couldn't solo as a bladedancer.
    Last edited by Meritt; 01-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Shadowlander

It seems like a raid can have 20 people so far, so we're talking one bard covering half the raid. Also what's nice is they can heal.... by attacking, and they never have to switch targets (great aoe healers)

However, they're probably going to be used quite a bit on the basis that it is the only support soul of Rogues. Very few will have it as their main, play it regularly, and put most of their points into it, so on the basis that people may have them but don't really put in the points you're pretty good on being the best bard out there. However, you also have to consider that there are multiple roles, meaning anyone who wants at least one group support role will have it readily available when groups get big and need the extra help.

But... if you're geared up to be a bard and figured out the best strategy, then you'll be the one playing bard while other rogues are doing what they're use to and actually enjoy rather than needlessly adding on to the list of bards. Also, even if you aren't the only bard, the good news is they stack well together by providing multiple buffs (which is actually why someone who only put a few points in bard is a nice addition cause they can use the low ranking buffs while you cover the ones gathered later on)

I can't say anything about endgame stuff because... well... I have yet to get there xD but it seems great!
    Last edited by Zelosh; 01-11-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Soulwalker

Honestly I can see this becoming like Bards in FFXI. People would start out, but give up fast because playing the pure support role wasn't interesting for them. I can also see people giving it up because of how many buffs they have to keep rolling, and it will simply be too hard for them. In a genre dominated by the tank/dps/healer arch-types, a lot of people simply can't accept that they will be playing in the background to make everyone else perform better.

Telaran

Never got tired of hearing the bard music myself, even on a 10 hour solid game session. I do agree with the statement that there probably won't be many bard mains because todays gamer generation is massively self-centered and if they don't have bigger numbers floating up in the air than you do, they're not happy.

That's good for me though.

Bards are highly sought after. Not everyone is interested in the bard conceptually. It is, however, an extremely powerful support class. Bards typically dominate the healing parser in warfronts simply because they can have healing going all of the time, virtually never running out of energy. All their other buffs are excellent as well. If I had to choose one support class to bring with me into an instance it would be a bard.

My favourite combo is bard/marksman/ranger (with 51 bard points).

At endgame bard DPS is going to be pretty low, even for a support class. That's going to scare away many people from becoming a dedicated bard. The number of true dedicated bards out there will probably be low, depending of course on how difficult it is to really become one. If there isn't a lot of bard specific gear then you'll see a lot of situational bards - people with bard builds who use them only in groups or raids.

I'm hoping that there will be rare gear that enhances bard skills. If there is, then my dedicated bard will be more rare and important.

This last beta I played full spec bard the whole time, it was GREAT. IN raids rolling rifts and zone events I didnt feel like I was "only support" , Cadence(3 combo points and doing damage while healing people), power chord(2 combo points) then either the AE damage or the AE heal with a full 5 combo points. OK so I got to stop every so often in my chain ther e and pop 4 motifs that last 30 sec, and start the 5 combo point chain again. Yes where as I am healing and buffing I am also doing semi decent damage.

Solo I just took the ranger soul for the 0 point pet, no problems rolling thru multiple mobs at a time, unless they were +2 or more levels higher then me then it was 1 at a time.

What little I did in warfronts, well I never died in any of the matches I did, even the few we lost. Even got a few solo kills on other rogues and casters.

Bard in my mind is NOT only support, where they arent top healers or top DPS they can hold their own in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgis View Post
    Bard in my mind is NOT only support, where they arent top healers or top DPS they can hold their own in most situations.
    It seems like that will be less and less accurate as levels increase. The few modest bard damage abilities really don't make up for the high end damage afforded by other souls. Looking down the tree you can increase your damage somewhat, but it's absolutely nothing compared to what other souls get in the same area of the tree. A pure bard at higher level is really pure support. You have more survivablity than other rogues except Riftstalker but you're not going to dish out damage. The reality is that bards do have some of the lowest DPS. They're supposed do.

I put 8 points into marksman. I can put 51 points in Bard and still have a few points left to work with. Those 8 points in marksman afford more DPS than the 51 points in Bard. The bard buffs help boost the damage of the marksman skills, sure, but I'll never need anything more. I use bard to build combo points because it's some of the fastest point building out there. I then fire off Deadeye shot. I would never use any of the bard abilities as direct damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelosh View Post
    It seems like a raid can have 20 people so far, so we're talking one bard covering half the raid.
    My question is, what determines which 10 get affected by Bard skills? Is it random? Is it your group + one other group? Is it distance? What if there are 2 Bards and their skills affect the same 10 people? Do we actually know how it works?

Soulwalker

Default Bards ....

Isnt the idea of having 3 souls, and 4 multispec so you can spec for whatever you like? You dont have to play full bard all the time

Shadowlander

I personally love playing in a support/heal role with the ability to dps a little along the way so the Bard is definately an option I will explore ( i did play it for a few hours at end of beta4 but probs not long enough to get a true feeling of it)
    It was a class I played in EQ1 and trust me it is easier on RIFT lol ok you could get probably get 3/4 buffs up at a time but they all ran out within around 12s unless u played them again (though macro's were handy for doing the hard work hehe).

I will likely role a bard and I like the idea of adding in a ranger for some dps and the nightstalker is handy for the cc/melee dps pretty nice build there but may need to take some points out of bard tree into a more dpsing roll but we will just have to see how it plays out at endgame .
    Last edited by AMG209; 01-12-2011 at 06:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread