+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plane Shifting? Really??

Shadowlander

Default Plane Shifting? Really??

Okay, I love Riftstalkers, A LOT, but it pains me that I have to learn to adapt to the poor mechanics of plane shifting in order to be effective. Sorry if this is offensive to the designers but... seriously?

If I jump, shifting won't work. If the hill is slightly too angled or there is a bump, I probably won't shift. If a small gravestone or chair gets in the way, I won't shift. If the game hates me, it might just not shift for no reason at all.

I got use to it, sort of (took me 20 lvls), but it still happened occasionally and for a soul that relies pretty heavily on this key selling point it really sucks for that to happen. This is what gets me killed 50% of the time, shifting not working.

Please do something about this? Changing the mechanics of the ability may be hard but it might be necessary. Even if I can't shift through walls can't you let me shift through small fences? If I jump can't I just shift forward 15 meters like the first ability says?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelosh View Post
    Okay, I love Riftstalkers, A LOT, but it pains me that I have to learn to adapt to the poor mechanics of plane shifting in order to be effective. Sorry if this is offensive to the designers but... seriously?

If I jump, shifting won't work. If the hill is slightly too angled or there is a bump, I probably won't shift. If a small gravestone or chair gets in the way, I won't shift. If the game hates me, it might just not shift for no reason at all.

I got use to it, sort of (took me 20 lvls), but it still happened occasionally and for a soul that relies pretty heavily on this key selling point it really sucks for that to happen. This is what gets me killed 50% of the time, shifting not working.

Please do something about this? Changing the mechanics of the ability may be hard but it might be necessary. Even if I can't shift through walls can't you let me shift through small fences? If I jump can't I just shift forward 15 meters like the first ability says?
    the ability does say with no interveening terrain or words to that effect. as for the mechanic the time you want the buffs is mostly in combat when you want to be using one of the shifts that puts you say behind the enemy or next to the enemy or even in place,all of which are usable just where you are.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
    the ability does say with no interveening terrain or words to that effect. as for the mechanic the time you want the buffs is mostly in combat when you want to be using one of the shifts that puts you say behind the enemy or next to the enemy or even in place,all of which are usable just where you are.
    It says if the path is unobstructed without mentioning terrain, why should a hill I can walk up be someone obstructing my path? I actually found stairs, which were normally steeper, to be easier to shift up than a hill. Still, it does include obstacles, which is why I understand the chair and whatnot obstructing my path, but it seems awfully petty to be an obstacle don't you think?

Also, only two shifting abilities by lvl 26 put you behind the enemy and only one other puts you directly next to them, the other two are pure movement based shifts and if you use one of the other correctly, the one that removes stuns, etc and puts you behind them, that can be used for movement as well by using it on a friendly NPC (which works because it doesn't deal damage).

You have to also consider that what you're saying doesn't get rid of the problem, shifting to an enemy thats at a distance, many are and try to be at a distance, can still not work for the same reasons I explained before. It fixes nothing if I'm forced to assure the terrain is even between me and my enemy and that I don't jump, and even then there's that small chance that it still might not work! (though it does always deal dmg)

EDIT: oh and a lot of the problem stems from not being able to run away, its more than just a combat ability.
    Also, when I said mechanics I meant the system behind shifting in action, as in what is identified as an obstacle, from what basis does the character move forward (which I believe is based off of the ground, which is why jumping won't work and why shifting brings you to the edges of cliffs and not over them), etc.
    Last edited by Zelosh; 01-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.

What I love the most about 'shifting' It drops the aggro on the mobs.

ARRR, someone just trained me. Phase out, Phase back. Sweet, they are not after me anymore.

It has saved me so many times. But when it 'bugs' like you said, it has also killed me that many times.

I logged it as a bug.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Natjur View Post
    What I love the most about 'shifting' It drops the aggro on the mobs.

ARRR, someone just trained me. Phase out, Phase back. Sweet, they are not after me anymore.

It has saved me so many times. But when it 'bugs' like you said, it has also killed me that many times.

I logged it as a bug.
    Oh true! I'm use to playing a tank Riftstalker so I forget the added benefits of shifting with stalker phase on. (I normally don't go for the branches that work with shifting because it seems ridiculous to waste a shift to like... increase defense when I can get other more useful branches)

+ Reply to Thread