+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solid Supporting Class

Soulwalker

Default Solid Supporting Class

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the seemingly tons of soul combinations. I really liked the Shaman class in WoW and would like to do something similar here. Obviously no totems but that's my playstyle. I've heard bards are much like that but haven't explored all the combos out.

Can anyone recommend some class combo's to try out? My goal is to be able to go from solid ranged dps to solid heals/backup support if needed.

Plane Touched

There really isn't anything that matches Shaman playstyle wise. By that I mean the feel of the class, there are plenty of buffing classes but none that add weapon procs for example.

However if you want ranged damage/healing/buffing then I suggest you look into the Mages.

All the Mage souls have ranged damage so that is covered. Also casting spells is what a ranged Shaman does so we have that similarity at least.

Buffing there is no class that drops totems on the ground. Thankfully Rift does away with the long duration weak buffs that WoW uses. The closest to Shaman that I see for buffing is Archon. Archon casts auras that last for 5 minutes and follow the Archon around, a self totem so to speak. Archon is top tier buffing, long and strong buffs (he he) as opposed to the Bard which has short buffs (30 seconds with talent) that can spike to higher overall power than Archon for short periods. As an added bonus all the Archon damage spells also carry some kind of debuff for the target, a buff for the Archon or both.

Healing Mage side you have Chloromancer. Chloro has some direct heal spells but gets a lot of its heal through a special aura that puts out healing based on the damage the Chloro does.

This build tool is accurate as far as I know and will allow you to see what kinds of abilities the souls have. Remember you can use three at a time. http://riftbuilder.lotd.org/

Play Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur rogue if stayed behind ally lines we can 5-7 shot people if played right. Also role kelari for OP racials.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Soulwalker

Let me go about this a different way then.

In dungeons/raids... I'm aiming at being a solid healer and a solid dps'er. To my understanding this is possible! From what I've seen so far it looks like Mage would be ideal. Cleric seems to be focused on melee dps and ranged healing.

If so, from that point of view what solid souls would you pick that would make you viable in both groups and raids?

I appreciate any experienced comments coming from those who have been doing beta longer. I'll report my results to anyone else reading this.

It sounds like Bard is what you want. I love playing a pure bard myself (Bard 51/Marksman 15/Ranger 0)

Quote Originally Posted by Codepwned View Post

In dungeons/raids... I'm aiming at being a solid healer and a solid dps'er. To my understanding this is possible! From what I've seen so far it looks like Mage would be ideal. Cleric seems to be focused on melee dps and ranged healing.

If so, from that point of view what solid souls would you pick that would make you viable in both groups and raids?

I appreciate any experienced comments coming from those who have been doing beta longer. I'll report my results to anyone else reading this.
    Inquisitor and Cabalist are both a caster style ranged dps cleric. Justicar can melee heal, just not quite on the level of Purifiers, Sentinels, and Wardens.

Rogue's Bard soul has fantastic buffing, debuffing, and support healing capabilities. All their attacks and abilities are useable from range or point-blank.
    Last edited by Tenison_Grey; 01-12-2011 at 03:49 PM.

For simultaneous healing and DPS you can create a number of melee cleric combinations (Justicar comes to mind). Chloromancer and Necromancer combos are good for dps/healing as well.

Bard dps is actually pretty low, but you can get some solid numbers even with a few points in Marksman right now, so my bard/marksman has good dps. I fear it may get nerfed, though.

Plane Touched

Solid damage and heals is Chloromancer. You get two casted direct heals (one AoE) with moderate cooldowns. You get a debuff that makes attacking a target heal those near the target. You get the aura that heals those inside it based on the amount of damage you do as well as the ability to designate a single person who gets extra from the aura. All with a decent set of damage spells which you will use to leverage the healing aura of course.

Shadowlander

Yeah i would say a chloromancer is a good option as you are dpsing AND healing at the same time.

I also play a Shaman in WoW but I have also played Bard in EQ1 so as i prefer the support side more than actual solid healing that is going to be my primary choice.

Mage: Chloro can heal by damaging with a couple heals to fill in
    Rogue: Bard turns groups into beasts but you have to want to play a bard to get past 25-30 and keep going.
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

Quote Originally Posted by Codepwned View Post

In dungeons/raids... I'm aiming at being a solid healer and a solid dps'er.
    You won't be both simultaneously. Ultimately a healer has to heal, a DPS has to DPS. Doing both at same time will result in both being subpar.

There are lots of class combintations that will let you be good dps and have some heals to throw. Or main healing while throwing out a bit of DPS. but you'll never have the DPS of top dps at the same as having heals of the top heals.

Chloromancer heals through DPS and is a solid healer in full spec. however, they won't throw out the DPS anywhere near a full spec DPS mage. Cabalist/Inquisitor is a devastating DPS combo, but tossing in a few heals from a healing soul won't make you the group's main healer.

I wouldn't roll a bard if i were you. Cleric or Mage callings both give you the opportunity to specialize in either heals or dps or mix the two. Rogue just gives you a mid-grade.

Don't stress about which souls you're gonna end up with, you'll have them all and will experiment a thousand times over.

If you go mage, make sure, take Chloro, Ele and whatever else you want to start. This'll give you options.

If yo ugo cleric, make sure you take Cablist or Inquisitor and Sentinel to start. This'll give you options.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

+ Reply to Thread