+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stormcaller.

Rift Chaser

Default Stormcaller.

I was looking through the souls and foudn this one interesting. I only tried to play cleric thus fare, so I was wondering if anyone tried out this class and could give me a review of it. It looks very interesting how it can slow/root alot, and have some wierd damage combinations.

Also, I find the elementalist interesting. But I would like know what it means when it says on your first summoned elemental "Its max level is 4" Does that mean that if you dont keep leveling in elementalist, but only does it for the pet for starters that it will not level above 4? Even when your level 10, your elemtal is max 4?

Soulwalker

I didn't play stormcaller but I can answer your pet question. As you purchase ranks in the summon skill it increases the level he can cap at. For example the last rank of lesser earth elemental may read his maximum level to be 50.

Stormcaller is an awesome soul, I love it.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Telaran

Had a full Stormcaller build going last Beta so here's my take.

The class is mainly aimed towards AoE DPS. They also have a variety of slows, both single target and AoE and ofcourse single target damage skills and these are what you'll mainly use to kill mobs. There are a couple of DoT attacks from what I saw (a channel and a ground target AoE).

The main mechanic is basically an 'Electrify' effect which is placed on a mob every time you use certain electrical spells and stacks up to 3 times. Then you get skills which do base damage, plus extra damage for each Electrify stacked on the enemy.

Also the 'wind' or 'cold' spells of the Stormcaller usually apply a slow effect on the enemy along with causing 'Hypothermia'. This effect can also cause your spells to do extra damage to anyone suffering from it.

Problems? Mana cost to damage ratio seems a bit off. Im not sure how Trion want the class to perform but even spamming the AoE skills for just a short time will make your mana completely empty. Speccing into Warlock for the mana regen was essential for me.

On a positive note even at 27, both in instanced dungeons and PvP, the AoE damage output of the Stormcaller is very good. It takes some time to stack the Electrify effects on the enemies but once those are up the damage is significant, although its only for a short time until you mana is pooped..

We'll obviously have to wait and see what the class is like at 50, but if I was to form an oppinion of the class purely from a 1-27 perspective I'd say it needs some slight buffing and tweaks here and there (mainly single target stuff) to make it compete with the other main DPS caster souls.

Im sure others have their own views but I hope that helped a bit.
    Last edited by Trespass; 01-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Ascendant

As the last poster said, the stormcaller has substantial AOE skills including a spammable aoe snare and aoe instant with 'electrify' placed on enemy. Not mentioned, the class has some badass CC. 1 single target spammable snare, 1 aoe spammable snare, 1 knockback snare, 1 knockback channel with low-break root option. The best ability is this short term speed boost (run with the wind or something) which turns you into speedy gonzalez for a bit. Overall it's a fun class to play and one that takes some time to maximize.

I feel like there are two major problems with the class. The first was already mentioned, the mana usage is horrific. I think it's a game breaker in T3. Warlock for health -> mana is a requirement. Hopefully mana costs get better by end tiers. The second is the single target damage even with the 'electrify' effect stacked is pretty meh.

I played this toon almost exclusively but I will be looking at other mages in the upcoming betas. If you are curious, I will be looking at pyro|elementalist|archmage.
    Last edited by ururu; 01-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    As the last poster said, the stormcaller has substantial AOE skills including a spammable aoe snare and aoe instant with 'electrify' placed on enemy. Not mentioned, the class has some badass CC. 1 single target spammable snare, 1 aoe spammable snare, 1 knockback snare, 1 knockback channel with low-break root option. The best ability is this short term speed boost (run with the wind or something) which turns you into speedy gonzalez for a bit. Overall it's a fun class to play and one that takes some time to maximize.

I feel like there are two major problems with the class. The first was already mentioned, the mana usage is horrific. I think it's a game breaker in T3. Warlock for health -> mana is a requirement. Hopefully mana costs get better by end tiers. The second is the single target damage even with the 'electrify' effect stacked is pretty meh.

I played this toon almost exclusively but I will be looking at other mages in the upcoming betas. If you are curious, I will be looking at pyro|elementalist|archmage.
    I had a few things I could see work. Pyro/elemenralist/dominator for PvE seems very viable. Elementalist/chloromancer/dominator seems to be a solo PvE beast. I saw someone own elite mobs easy.

Not sure what the best combos would be tho. Warlock seems cool, the same with necros. But for PvE its a waste I think. Normal mobs sucks to stack dots on, tho for dungeons and elite mobs its prolly awesome.

But it just seems like th stormcaller had some good potential later n in thje game but if the mana usage s horific, then it will suck =(

Its like that wth healer as well. with a purifier I can spam hes best heal and shields, neve drop below 80%. With a sentinal I run out in 20 secs if I throw group heals. Everything AOE actually seems off in this game, mana usage wise.
    Last edited by drack; 01-12-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    I was looking through the souls and foudn this one interesting. I only tried to play cleric thus fare, so I was wondering if anyone tried out this class and could give me a review of it. It looks very interesting how it can slow/root alot, and have some wierd damage combinations.

Also, I find the elementalist interesting. But I would like know what it means when it says on your first summoned elemental "Its max level is 4" Does that mean that if you dont keep leveling in elementalist, but only does it for the pet for starters that it will not level above 4? Even when your level 10, your elemtal is max 4?
    Elementalist/Stormcaller/Dominator seems to be working for me.
    -=[ I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. ]=-

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by hinhanska View Post
    Elementalist/Stormcaller/Dominator seems to be working for me.
    What do you actually spec in then? Elementalist or stormcaller?

Why I was thinkign Chloromancer is that you can heal your own pet quite well. But how are pets in this game anyways, are they hard hitting, or do they suck, pvp wise?
    Last edited by drack; 01-12-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Ascendant

I believe +50% crit damage (midway elementalist) along with the other things in that tree like + spell crit make it almots a requirement for any mage. The PVP soul (archmage) also looks really, really good as a third. Good enough that the mez from dominator must be dropped.

All up in the air at this point. I did like stormcaller, it was really fun. I just don't think it will do enough single target damage to compete. Pyro or warlock and especially marksman will crush it.

People should remember, with only (6) points spent in Elementalist soul you gain Revitalize.

No matter what type of mage build or spec that you're planning on rolling with, this helps immensely with gaining back mana.
    Last edited by Sixkwick; 01-12-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    The PVP soul (archmage) also looks really, really good as a third. Good enough that the mez from dominator must be dropped.
    It's a must in a PvP setting. I had an archmage soul build with heavy pyro, and it made a nice difference with planar attunement and resilent alone in the first tier. I definitely would never roll without the archmage soul for PvP, as I noticed the difference once I unlocked the archmage soul and just the first tier by itself.

I was looking for a powerful single target hitter... Would that be a pyromancer? Looking at the abilities, I was just assuming that stormcaller would be what I wanted.

I like hit and run and kiting tactics.
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
    Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    8GB 1600MHz RAM
    120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    I was looking for a powerful single target hitter... Would that be a pyromancer? Looking at the abilities, I was just assuming that stormcaller would be what I wanted.

I like hit and run and kiting tactics.
    Stormcaller/elementalist has excellent single target output. Cloudburst gains 60% dmg from 3 electrify charges, and is instant cast. This is on top of all the other damage modifiers that the class has. Also lightning strike is a very high damage single target DD that is on a 10 second recast and 2.5s casting. As a air spell, it gains ALL of the +air dmg from the stormcaller tree and easily reaches 1k+ dmg crits in beta 4.

+ Reply to Thread