+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanks all styles

Soulwalker

Default Tanks all styles

After spending the time i had raising an assassin and feeling a bit disappointed i realized i had no time to make a tank and really get a feel for it, just wondering what peoples experiences were with tanks whether you were a warrior, cleric or rogue.

I'm thinking of tanking come rift release so anything you can tell me would be great.

It was insanely fun tanking with a Riftstalker, I can tell you that. If someone pulled aggro (which they almost never did) I'd just teleport over there and taunt the mob, then teleport back to the pack i was tanking. So cool!

Soulwalker

what did you combine with riftstalker ? i had rifstalker alongside sin but didnt spec into the tree so couldnt survive but teleporting was fun

I think I had Nightblade and Bard, for no particular reason. I was pretty much full Riftblade with a few points in NB for energy refund for example. The main thing is that you can't tank with a Riftstalker until level 18, that's when you get your tank stance, which gives you stuff like +50% armor, +50 to all resistances and +30% threat, among other things (numbers could be a little off, but you get the idea).

Shadowlander

Well if you're going for group tanking the small bonuses in the beginning branches of bard and ranger are nice, but if we're talking solo survivability you DEFINITELY need Nightblade.

Nightblade has stealth and incapacitate (The difference from assassin being that they can do it from a good distance which is rather useful) and also they have a useful branch skill which lets energy be regained with finishers. We're also talking ranged abilities, for those times you don't think its a good idea to shift into the enemies face and pulling them to you is better.

Overall, riftstalker is a fantastic tank, better than warriors in short bursts, continuous mobs, and strategical combat, but they rely more on their skills to take dmg rather than stepping in completely beefed up. The only way they can heal is by killing an enemy if spare combo points, hence why mobs and bosses with weak minions are so easy to solo, but that means that facing one tough enemy is much harder. Also, warriors have a greater variety of tanks so if you're looking to be able to hold a group in ALL situations they'd probably be better.

Still... low on health? shift 3 times and you're out of harms way (I'm serious, you can do that by lvl 26, but one requires a nearby npc) that dont work? Rift prison, they're out for 6 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread