+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mage specs and soul combos

Default Mage specs and soul combos

Thought i would lay down an all mage calling thread here. Discuss different souls and combinations.

Looking for synergy for PvP and PvE, link specs and discuss possible endgame builds.

Currently I'm looking at a elemental/pyro spec for pve 38/27 split:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...ul3_talants=0#

and for PvP i'm looking at a Lock/chloro build for self heals, little splash of dom for spell reflect and silence as well as transmogrify.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...s=215,1_217,5_

Rift Disciple

Default oh god...

There's so much xD But no, really one of my favorite parts of this game is there is a ridiculous amount of things I can do. I'm gonna post my 3 roles that I have and what plans I have for them.

PvE Chloro/Necro/Dominator: probably a pretty basic heal/dot build for chloromancer, with enough in necro to get tank pet/reclaim power and enough in dom to get threat reduction. Also what I plan on leveling with.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...4_215,1_217,5_

DPS Pyro/Dom/Archon: All I want out of a DPS build that doesn't need to be changed for PvP or PvE specifically. Just does it's job.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...4_318,2_320,5_

PvP Dominator/Archmage: Pretty much my intentions for PvP, pugging it up or premades. I'm having a lot of fun with Dominator in PvP even only at level 27. There's enough bad puggers out there going "hurrr, no healers on my team? I'm gonna be a DPS Cleric!" I don't need to be DPS, and if we're in a premade well... Dominator is nasty in a premade lets just say that :3. I look forward to my support role.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...talants=416,1_

Thoughts on mages in general: If you plan on PvPing I think 6 points in Dom is a must for priests lament. It just makes all those ridiculous cleric spells go away and if you spec further in Void Shroud is delicious. Other then that, there are multiple ways you can solo grind (I can see people doing the classic AoE crowd control grinding of mobs with stormcaller) and have it go well for you. In groups always have yourself ready to be either an Archon (if you're unlucky enough to have a bard) or a Chloromancer (if the cleric you're with sucks or you're in a dungeon/rift that an offhealer is needed, OR if you really need a main healer). Reclaim Power, Leeching Flame, or Recharge I think are all necessary and with proper applications of spells and abilities, you should be able to keep your mana at full for the entirety of a fight. I don't see many fully Dominator spec'd mages in a group simply because if you're going to have support, might as well be an Archon and help your entire team when you get Transmogrify with 0 points into Dom.

I'm looking forward to game release now. So many combo's and quirks with all these classes, this game is going to be a blast for me.
    Last edited by Yzona; 01-11-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Soulwalker

I like the Mage and spell options in RIFT. I built two mages and got to lvl 10 with them. One was a Deviant Necro the other was a Guardian Elementalist. Both had summoned assistance and did well in PVE. I did not try them in PVP though since I prefer the PVE/RP. I look forward to the next beta event so I can play them a bit more and see what they can do.

Shadowlander

Copy'd this from a diff treat, think it will be of more use here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...oul3_talants=0
    Pyro/Ele/Archon(Chloro)

That is the buils I am currently planning on taking when I reach 50.
    It has all the pyro single target spells and buffs and a completely buffed pet as well (the 38, 44 and 51 spells from both pyro as ele seem more pvp to me atm). Archon is there for the Pillaging Stone (aka free int/wisdom).
    I will have access to both Heat Wave and Intensify Elements as 2 mayor CD's (I hope fire damage = elemental damage) And mana won't be a big issue either I belive due to Channeled Elements and 3/5 Improved Smoldering Power.
    For solo play I will swap archon for chloro for radiant spores wich will be some nice free healing imo.

Oke, pyro's (or mages) are doing less dps then the range rogue's, orso I've been reading here. But with this build I not only have my own dps but also a fully buffed pet that does some dps as well. Sadly I don't know how much dps the 2 of us combined will do but I'm fairly certain that it will atleased come close to what ever a marksman orso can put out.

This is PVE only ofc.
    And to those who will complain about not having any aoe I say true. But if I want to aoe I will go Stormcaller.....
    Last edited by Nyla; 01-11-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Soulwalker

These r the 2 dps builds i like archon/pyro/ele http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...4_514,1_516,5_
    or dominiatior/pyro/ele http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...4_514,1_516,5_

Soulwalker

I think if you're looking for a straight out balls to the wall PvE DPS build, you should look at a build like this:

Pyro/Ele/Arch

As much as I'd like to go Dom for a second soul for the Intel, there's just not much there that provides a synergy like Ele and Arch do. I really only see 2 points that are movable, and that's the points in Altruist. It looks like the points could go in 1 of 2 places and that depends either on how much stuns and silences play a part in raids (Fiery Resolve) or how much damage is going around (Fiery Concentration). Now, let's take a look at what we get out of the secondary souls.

Elementalist: First 5 points give you a direct increase to crit chance, definitely can't go wrong there. The second tier is a little ugh, but you need to do something with the points. Since you're not going to be using Lightning Strike or Crystalline Missiles, no need to put your points there. Depending on how well Ice Shield scales as you level or with spellpower(if at all), it seems like it would be a nice oh **** button. The other 4 points go into Elemental Link because they suck everywhere else and they help to offset some of the extra damage taken when you're standing in Ground of Power. The third tier of Ele is really where it's at though. A +% (assuming 50%) increase in crit damage bonus? Yes please! Also in this tier you get a curse that, combined with the 4 points in the synergy talent, gives you a 9% fire damage bonus. This curse should and can be used every single CD (30 secs) and lasts for the same amount of time. This is free damage for your main spec! Can't go wrong there. Now on to Archon!

Archon: First 5 points are an easy choice here. 5% extra fire damage is perfect for this spec. Second tier is pretty easy, especially if crit ends up being a big stat. Exhilaration could end up returning a bunch of mana. The next tier provides the 2 movable points and also provides what looks like could be a great spell that can be used every CD. Leeching Flames should only get better and better as your gear gets better.

Spells you need to know and should use:
    Fireball - Your go-to spell. A dot with Combust, and a chance to proc Wildfire.
    Flame Bolt - Only used on a Wildfire proc, gives a +10% fire damage buff with Imp Flame Bolt
    Pyromancer's Armor - Depending on how well Cinder Blast hits. If it hits like a truck, the armor will be worth it. If it's wimpy, just use that point for something else and stick with Fire Armor (can't complain about yet another flat +5% Fire damage).
    Ground of Power - You should always have this up, as a 20% increase in fire damage is huge, also provides mana regen with Improved Grounding
    Inferno - A Backstab for mages, hopefully it'll be a big damage dealer once you get below 30% (really needs a damage boosting talent)
    Conflagration/ Flame Jet - 2 Aoe spells that can be rotated when AoE is needed
    Leeching Flames - as discussed earlier
    Exposure - also as discussed earlier
    Charge dump - This is fairly straightforward. If Internalize Charge has no CD, it needs to be used every single time you get max charge. If it has a CD, then using Power Drain from Arch is a less viable, but still desirable, option that you can rotate with Internalize Charge. If mana is an issue though, you can use Revitalize from Ele as a powerful mana regen.

Looks like I covered mostly everything important, sorry for the walls of text. Now, this is all able to change at any given point since it's still beta, but it seems to me like it would be a very powerful DPS spec.

What do you think about moving one point from Altruist into Greater Elemental Affinity? (12/33/21)

Since this seems to be the thread to discuss specs, what would you consider a basic PvE Necro/Warlock spec?

I came up with something like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...oul3_talants=0

3rd soul Chloro, as far as I understand it the necro pet is considered an ally? Or maybe Dom for transmogrify, but I am not decided yet.

Shadowlander

Link to PvP (dps) build here.

All kinds of snares, roots (including one that doesn't break on damage), stuns, that AE knock back + root, and a disarm.

Multiple shields, damage reduction, blink, and silence/stun reduction. An in-combat group MP regen ability (and the self out of combat channel one).

Plus looks to have a very high damage synergy.

I do chloro/necro dom for pve and its been working amazing for me
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Telaran

I played a deep Pyro build thru lvl 22 this past weekend and I must say I had alot of fun. The gameplay is exactly what I'd come to expect from a AAA title and the animation's are probably the best i've seen in an MMO.

That said, deep Pyro does lack burst dmg. It's not very noticable in pve, but when you get into a pvp situation it becomes very evident. There just isn't an on-demand ability to match some of the other classes. Hopefully that will change with higher levels and class scaling.
    Last edited by Krejci; 01-11-2011 at 11:37 PM.

One question, all of you link builds here but... i was thinking about what CLASS would be best for mage calling ? Was looking on Bahmi or Human, human got some kind of shield and bahmi +XX % spell power dmg for 10s which isnt really mutch time ... what do you think guys ?

Here's my PvP build I'd probably go. Perhaps drop some points in Ele (while retaining 6 points for Ice Shield) and get the 38 point skill in Pyro.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...2_916,5_918,5_

Quote Originally Posted by Tewai View Post
    One question, all of you link builds here but... i was thinking about what CLASS would be best for mage calling ? Was looking on Bahmi or Human, human got some kind of shield and bahmi +XX % spell power dmg for 10s which isnt really mutch time ... what do you think guys ?
    I would almost certainly say that (without much doubt) kelari is the clearcut winner. I'm hoping the racials are going to change to bring them on par with other classes but if you want the maximum DPS nothing beats a 100/80/60/40/20% Crit CD and 10% crit damage.

I am wondering now who will dig in more dmg ranger-marksman _ saboteur rogues or mages ?

Actually i think these rogues will do more big crits and they can ignore a % of armor .

And some warriors can do a lot dmg too .

Knowing that rogues can wear leather clothes and mages only clothe i might forget about mages and go for rogue .

But my favorite combination for mage is : Necro _warlock _ Archon or necro warlock - Chloromancer or dominator .

but as i saw in warfronts mages wearing clothes was very easy to kill very squishy .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast