+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mage specs and soul combos

Now my turn to post some builds.

Sadly I only have experience until level 14 as Lock/Necro/Dom, so comments from more experienced players would be appreciated.

Necro/Lock/Dom
    I think this is a pretty basic DPS build. 32 in both souls for stun and silence. To get this I had to leave out some emergency buttons such as shadow life. I liked the knockback of Thunder blast in Dominator, but maybe this won't be necessary at 50, so those 2 pints from Dominator could go into Shadow life and Neddra's essence. I am wondering if Transmogrify is needed, but it won't hurt in dungeons, I guess.

Archon/Chloro/Dom
    My support spec that concentrates on healing, buffing and debuffing. Sounds nice in theory to me, but what do I know? Help here would rellay be appreciated.

Pyro/Ele/Archon
    It seems that the consensus is to spec into Greater Elemental Affinity. I don't know how good Greater Water Elemental is, so maybe the points in Ele could be reduced to 21 or 22 if you want Fiery Assault

Archmage/Lock/Dom
    Never done PvP in Rift, but 2 stuns, silence, root, confuse, fear, sheep ... this all sounds like maximum annoyance.

Rift Master

Pyromancer:

Looking over the talent tree it looks like it has loads of great talents to deal with Melee attackers and huge burst. Any thoughts on a 51 Pyro PvP build? What would you take with it?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adaqshiel View Post

46/20/0::Pyro/Ele/Dom

...Does everything your Pyro does while being able to solo and won't go splat instantly when looked at cross-eyed. Transmogrify is a pulling and escape tool only. Not a combat ability.

And has the same problems.

If you're going to AoE, you need all the defenses you can get because you're pissing off entire groups of mobs while being the (theoretically) squishiest character type. Lacking Wind Chill, Shell Shock and Arctic Chill is just facepalm-worthy as those three abilities form the cornerstone of the Stormcaller's ability to avoid the huge swarm of angry monsters that he is pelting with the Weather Channel.

Again, why, O why, Greater Elemental Affinity without Planar Expansion? Having 5/5 Planar Expansion is the only justification for going up so far in Elementalist because without it, your pets are meaningless. Charged affects only the Elementalist's spell "Lightning Strike", not any of your Stormcaller's spells. Those are three utterly wasted points for an AoE character, as is Synergize because your pet wouldn't have a prayer of holding aggro for long enough to get hit. Exposure affects only a single target at a time, and your Stormcaller is explicitly centered around dealing with large numbers of hostile mobs simultaneously and the Stormcaller's spell chain is very time-sensitive. You neither have the time nor logistical opportunity to cast Exposure on every target in your train even if it were instant-cast with no cooldown or animation holding you up.

51/15/0::Storm/Ele/Dom

No wasted points in Elementalist, necessary tools for AoE kiting (in fact... almost all of them that you missed) and even the 51-point capstone Eye of the Storm (which is almost surely unnecessary and overkill anyway). Better AoE damage output in every way, without even sacrificing Ice Shield.

Why in the heck do you mention shell shock when talking AOE? Why the hell would you cast a single target pre-debuff for extra damage when you should be using forked lightning if that is the reason? Do you even look and understand yourself the spells you rage and spaz out over before you comment?

Increased damage to your AOE's on your build suggestion? You added one spell that is on a decent cooldown that is a instant click AOE. You lost 15% elemental damage on ALL your dmg spells for that. Also, for aoeing/kiting, 50% snare is enough, or if you wanted 75% that is more than enough. You should not need to knock back a entire pack of mobs. They should never get close enough.

Your build is full of waste, much to the same degree of the poster you quoted, if we are looking at the grand picture. You have not buffed how much charge you get, forgo that in elementalist tree eh? Then you have so many abilities that use charge, and you just do not understand how to build with the strengths from multiple souls if you are going to put someone else down for having a better build then yourself for the intend of the encounter.
    Last edited by kuggy; 01-13-2011 at 07:56 AM.

For good drain and health gain as well as having a tanking pet and it can also do a double AoE with Grave Rot + Mortality I like the suvivability of this build for a Necro/Warlock/Chrono.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...oul3_talants=0

Soulwalker
    Last edited by joetempesta; 01-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Pyromancer:

Looking over the talent tree it looks like it has loads of great talents to deal with Melee attackers and huge burst. Any thoughts on a 51 Pyro PvP build? What would you take with it?
    This Thread

Anlyon Cleric Deepstrike
    Death pays all debts

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
    Why in the heck do you mention shell shock when talking AOE? Why the hell would you cast a single target pre-debuff for extra damage when you should be using forked lightning if that is the reason? Do you even look and understand yourself the spells you rage and spaz out over before you comment?

Increased damage to your AOE's on your build suggestion? You added one spell that is on a decent cooldown that is a instant click AOE. You lost 15% elemental damage on ALL your dmg spells for that. Also, for aoeing/kiting, 50% snare is enough, or if you wanted 75% that is more than enough. You should not need to knock back a entire pack of mobs. They should never get close enough.

Your build is full of waste, much to the same degree of the poster you quoted, if we are looking at the grand picture. You have not buffed how much charge you get, forgo that in elementalist tree eh? Then you have so many abilities that use charge, and you just do not understand how to build with the strengths from multiple souls if you are going to put someone else down for having a better build then yourself for the intend of the encounter.
    his original build was Stormcaller, Elementalist and Dominator (for Transmogrify). i kept to those souls because that's what he was looking for. therefor, didn't swap out for 5 points in Warlock in place of Transmogrify.

as for the 15% lost damage on all spells....? where. his build didn't go deep enough in Elementalist for Elemental Armor and that's only 10%. If you're talking about the loss of Exposure, that would be only 10% as well, and it is a single-target debuff. This character was declared to be AoE-centric, and Exposure just does not synergize with that.

as for the difference between snare strengths and the utility of a point-blank AoE knockback... you want them while you're soloing. period.

Shell Shock is there because it's more points in Stormcaller which helps you more than 2 points in Elementalist beyond Tempest or anywhere in Dominator. the fact is that you only need 15 points in Elementalist, and none in Dom, so why not put 51 points into Stormcaller to get Spark of Life and Eye of the Storm (which his original build did not have)? remember, he wanted to build a Storm/Ele/Dom for AoE.

yes, i'm perfectly aware that the Stormcaller uses a lot of Charge. i'm sure the developers know that too. it's one of the important limiting factors to the soul, but you will be spamming Forked Lightning, Lightning Field and Cloudburst quite a bit, i expect, so it shouldn't be a mystery to anyone where all that Charge comes from.

you don't have anything to complain about, you're just a troll. go away. this thread is for constructive criticism.
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagoto View Post
    missing out on Death's Edict in favor of Ground of Strength is a tough call to make. it also pains me to see a lack of Pyromancer's Armor and only one point in Swift Control and Iron Will. if you wanted survivability, i guess Burning Bright isn't all that bad since you have the roots and stuns to keep things off you -- but if that were the case, then you wouldn't need Ground of Strength or Fire Shield, really. also, for mana regeneration, one point in Iron Will isn't all that fabulous while you have Improved Grounding. between Fire Shield, Combust and Fiery Resolve, there's a lot of free points in your Pyro soul that might be shifted around a little depending on what you're willing to give up for something else.

i would definitely drop Combust for Pyromancer's Armor, and then take the point out of Fiery Resolve (you're immune to CC while standing in Ground of Strength anyway) and Iron Will and put those two points into Swift Control for a more major boost to your dps right out of Transmogrify. it's very tempting to pick up Transference for just one point and gain a huge source of Charge (depending on your target....) instead of Swift Control, but i think Swift Control is more important for dps and Transference doesn't help your stated goal of Crowd Control. Fire Shield synergizes negatively with Burning Bright (poor game design, i expect it to get fixed eventually), and you have enough Crowd Control to not be getting hit terribly often anyway, so i would probably shift those two points back into Combust.

around here, there's about 7 or so points that really could go either way, and it depends on how much you use Ground of Strength. 45/21 is a pretty awkward split and i just get this feeling that Ground of Strength isn't all that valuable for PvE, especially while you have so much Crowd Control to prevent yourself from taking damage in the first place. still, right here you have squeezed out a few % more damage output at the cost of the debatable Fire Shield and Fiery Resolve.

i feel that 38/28 is a better split if you're not going to go for Mass Burn anyway. with so many Crowd Controls, it just seems unlikely that you'll need Ground of Strength at all, and in exchange for that one ability (and Improved Ground of Power which i decided was the best place to pull points from since it gave the most situational benefit), you gain five others: Transference, Split Personality, Reflective Presence and Priest's Lament and Death's Edict! that's at least three more seconds of stun towards your Haunting Pain right there.

Unbreakable Bounds > Haunting Pain > Death's Edict is the full duration of the dot and then some. using Swift Control to pop a Transmogrify with something like Cinder Burst, you could throw that chain in there practically for free before beginning a more direct damage sequence of spells (mostly boring ole' Fireball and Storm Snackle (sic)). Burn, Lockdown and Transference are probably all you'll really need to ensure that you're perfectly safe while sustaining Internalize Charge.

probably raw Fireball spam interlaced with Cinderburst and Fire Bolt as your procs go off will yield better sustained DPS for groups, just remember that you have Mind Wipe! i'm hoping that Flicker might be used with Flashfire, but i wouldn't bet on it since it doesn't mention hard stuns specifically in its description.
    Last edited by Adaqshiel; 01-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Champion

his original build was Stormcaller, Elementalist and Dominator (for Transmogrify). i kept to those souls because that's what he was looking for. therefor, didn't swap out for 5 points in Warlock in place of Transmogrify.

as for the 15% lost damage on all spells....? where. his build didn't go deep enough in Elementalist for Elemental Armor and that's only 10%. If you're talking about the loss of Exposure, that would be only 10% as well, and it is a single-target debuff. This character was declared to be AoE-centric, and Exposure just does not synergize with that.

as for the difference between snare strengths and the utility of a point-blank AoE knockback... you want them while you're soloing. period.

Shell Shock is there because it's more points in Stormcaller which helps you more than 2 points in Elementalist beyond Tempest or anywhere in Dominator. the fact is that you only need 15 points in Elementalist, and none in Dom, so why not put 51 points into Stormcaller to get Spark of Life and Eye of the Storm (which his original build did not have)? remember, he wanted to build a Storm/Ele/Dom for AoE.

yes, i'm perfectly aware that the Stormcaller uses a lot of Charge. i'm sure the developers know that too. it's one of the important limiting factors to the soul, but you will be spamming Forked Lightning, Lightning Field and Cloudburst quite a bit, i expect, so it shouldn't be a mystery to anyone where all that Charge comes from.

you don't have anything to complain about, you're just a troll. go away. this thread is for constructive criticism.
    I am no troll. I am just saying that you are not building it any better.

You delve too deep into stormcaller to get too many things that are and will be useless. Even you mentioned that time is a factor for rotation, and in a mobile build channeled is one of the worst things you can do. First off, the 31 point AOE is a channeled spell over a target area, not based on a mob and mobs X radius around them. With flash freeze and Hailstorm, you should never see them unsnared with conjunction of arctic blast. You are going way too defensive for the AOE build. You have the tools with much less far as point investment to impair their speed and boost yours. I could see if this was for a pvp build for control, but just for aoeing pve this wastes way too many points.

31 point ability with improved charged field.. Counterproductive no?
    Most of the spells have a 5-7m radius. That is very small. Your approach can actually see your mobs split up too far for them all to be effected. You lack good charge regain, and there is no other way to say otherwise. Spamming recharge will see you hurting as well. Aoeing is also about speed. Cooldowns of your debuffs, and your ability to remain mobile. You are too defensive, I cannot fathom how you ever spoke of "time priority" when casting spells for rotation and put that many spells into your setup.

Most would have a steady arsenal of AoEs, ability to control movement, and then boost their damage. You will be using up your electrify debuff charges on your mob packs with how you've built this, have your high invested abilities on cooldown, and be back to using basic spells to recoup.

Say troll all you want but I am saying you are forgetting the very basics of the souls involved. Also Elemental armor from ele's 38 point root is 15%. I have no idea where you got 10%. This includes 15% charge boost as well.
    Last edited by kuggy; 01-13-2011 at 03:22 PM.

I am no troll. I am just saying that you are not building it any better.

You delve too deep into stormcaller to get too many things that are and will be useless. Even you mentioned that time is a factor for rotation, and in a mobile build channeled is one of the worst things you can do. First off, the 31 point AOE is a channeled spell over a target area, not based on a mob and mobs X radius around them. With flash freeze and Hailstorm, you should never see them unsnared with conjunction of arctic blast. You are going way too defensive for the AOE build. You have the tools with much less far as point investment to impair their speed and boost yours. I could see if this was for a pvp build for control, but just for aoeing pve this wastes way too many points.
    useless. really. Eye of the Storm, an instant cast, duration AoE which applies significant damage and a strong AoE snare. Lightning Storm is channeled, yes. did you miss the part in its description where it states that it roots subjects with 3 stacks of Electrify? or how much Charge it generates?

i don't know why you think Hailstorm, with a 2.5 second cast time, is better than a channeled spell which actually roots targets. to me, they serve similar purposes and obviously you will be using Hailstorm before Lightning Storm -- subjects won't make it through Lightning Storm before being rooted inside both AoEs due to Arctic Chill's effect on their movespeed.

way too defensive for an AoE soloist? i honestly gape in horror.

there are two limits to the number of targets you solo with AoE-kiting tactics.
    1. your mana
    2. your health, but only if you are getting hit

by having enough kiting tools at your disposal, your only limit then becomes whether you can kill a single target using your AoE spells before you run out of mana (if you can kill one, you can kill a dozen just like him). you can optimize your gear for mana and damage safely without having to spend "money" on your own defense. having very powerful crowd control powers built into your AoE tactics allows you to scale your offense to an arbitrary number of targets.

who cares if it takes you a little longer to do the damage if you're going to kill twenty targets in the space it would take a Pyro to kill five? that's the entire point. not "how much damage can i squeeze into three seconds".

31 point ability with improved charged field.. Counterproductive no?
    i don't think so. after you've used Lightning Storm, electrified only provides a little extra damage against subjects -- extra damage in the form of Charged Field, for instance. the Electrified effect is super super easy to apply to targets, you have plenty of spells which apply the effect as fast as once per second!

so you cast a few Lightning Fields and then it's time for a Raging Storm on top of Eye of the Storm, so what? you were going to do that anyway, weren't you?

Most of the spells have a 5-7m radius. That is very small. Your approach can actually see your mobs split up too far for them all to be effected. You lack good charge regain, and there is no other way to say otherwise. Spamming recharge will see you hurting as well.
    no one is going to force you to use Static Barrier. use the right tool for the situation -- but if you don't have a tool, you don't have the option at all! sure, Permafrost could be annoying since it's not a sure thing. but that's why you don't break it with something without making sure that everything is snared properly. good planning and practice will turn it into a good thing

as for the Charge generation... i think it can work just fine. no one's going to force you to click the Recharge button, and if you do use it, that just means you cast Cloudburst a few more times. no one is trying to say that you should be able to kite a train for 24 hours without a break, you only need to kite them for long enough to kill them.

if the radius of spells is a little tight, so be it. what would you have me do about that? the developers created the soul with the limitations it has, and the purpose of the thread is to find out how we can best make use of the tools they give us. personally, i think a smaller radius is just incentive to develop more skill as a player.

Aoeing is also about speed. Cooldowns of your debuffs, and your ability to remain mobile. You are too defensive, I cannot fathom how you ever spoke of "time priority" when casting spells for rotation and put that many spells into your setup.
    you think you're going to kill things by standing there spamming Cloudburst and Forked Lightning only?

sure, you need to be fast in order to get to where you need to be and to do the things you need to in time. that's part of the skill required to play the soul. the placement of spells and which spells you choose to cast at a given time is part of the skill too. you need a lot of different spells to perform a full kite because most of the best ones do have cooldowns. congratulations for noticing the obvious? just work around the cooldowns. you shouldn't need more than one per kite anyway -- that's what the cooldowns are there for: to prevent you from having it easy by spamming the best spell available.

Most would have a steady arsenal of AoEs, ability to control movement, and then boost their damage. You will be using up your electrify debuff charges on your mob packs with how you've built this, have your high invested abilities on cooldown, and be back to using basic spells to recoup.
    a "steady arsenal of AoEs" is exactly what 51 points of Stormcaller gives you. you can't use a tool that you don't have, and you will need all of those depending on the situation. you can't accomplish everything with Cloudburst, Forked Lightning and Hailstorm, though even if you somehow could... so what? you could do it better with better spells than with another 5% from some esoteric talent somewhere that you spent 20 points to unlock... the Stormcaller soul is the best at AoE damage and kiting. that's just... not debatable.

i already addressed the critique about "using up" the Electrified effect with Charged Field, and i'm absolutely certain that Charged Field provides more damage than not having it. Raging Storm and Lightning Storm provide more than enough opportunity to apply plenty of Electrified, and aren't actually that much trickier to use than casting Forked Lightning three times to get those same three Electrified back...

why state the obvious about the cooldown abilities going on cooldown after you've used them? yes. they do that. would you rather not have them at all and be using "basic spells" only??? you just make no sense there at all.

Say troll all you want but I am saying you are forgetting the very basics of the souls involved. Also Elemental armor from ele's 38 point root is 15%. I have no idea where you got 10%. This includes 15% charge boost as well.
    from the builder's description of Elemental Armor, damage is improved by only 10%, it is Charge generation that is improved by 15%, perhaps you just misread the tooltip in the builder, but ... live launch is still months away, i think it hardly matters a piddly few % here and there when the actual numbers at launch are sure to be different if not entirely. right now, why can't we go by what the builder says? and it clearly says that Elemental Armor, the Elementalists' 38-point Roots spell, improves "the Mage's" elemental damage by 10%.
    Last edited by Adaqshiel; 01-13-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagoto View Post
    i tried it. you may find some spells in the dominator tree work better than others. storm shackle was decent. priests lament and arresting presence were awesome. deny is fantastic if you pay attention enough to use it at the right time. reflective command is awesome.

but you will find that, at least in pvp, most of the dominator spells take too long to cast, or are simply not that great. transference and mana wrench were useless. haunting pain was weak. transmogrify? even if you get it off, and someone else doesn't instantly break it, your squirrel can actually run away from you before you get a chance to test out the damage boost of opportunity. i couldn't even tell if accelerated decay made a dent in someone's cast time/swing time. in short, if i went dominator, i'd stick to the roots/snares and silences, and to hell with the rest. spend the rest of your time nuking.

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

Quote Originally Posted by pokett View Post
    i tried it. you may find some spells in the dominator tree work better than others. storm shackle was decent. priests lament and arresting presence were awesome. deny is fantastic if you pay attention enough to use it at the right time. reflective command is awesome.

but you will find that, at least in pvp, most of the dominator spells take too long to cast, or are simply not that great. transference and mana wrench were useless. haunting pain was weak. transmogrify? even if you get it off, and someone else doesn't instantly break it, your squirrel can actually run away from you before you get a chance to test out the damage boost of opportunity. i couldn't even tell if accelerated decay made a dent in someone's cast time/swing time. in short, if i went dominator, i'd stick to the roots/snares and silences, and to hell with the rest. spend the rest of your time nuking.
    Accelerated Decay is a weak debuff that requires a target do things to build the stacks, and it doesn't stack up very high. so of course you couldn't notice the effect at first, and probably not later either in the chaos of PvP.

by contrast, Chastise is 10% per stack and can stack as high as 100%

release is months away. there's a lot of balancing that will be done before and after then.

yup yup. btw, i love your sig

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

Soulwalker

missing out on Death's Edict in favor of Ground of Strength is a tough call to make. it also pains me to see a lack of Pyromancer's Armor and only one point in Swift Control and Iron Will. if you wanted survivability, i guess Burning Bright isn't all that bad since you have the roots and stuns to keep things off you -- but if that were the case, then you wouldn't need Ground of Strength or Fire Shield, really. also, for mana regeneration, one point in Iron Will isn't all that fabulous while you have Improved Grounding. between Fire Shield, Combust and Fiery Resolve, there's a lot of free points in your Pyro soul that might be shifted around a little depending on what you're willing to give up for something else.

i would definitely drop Combust for Pyromancer's Armor, and then take the point out of Fiery Resolve (you're immune to CC while standing in Ground of Strength anyway) and Iron Will and put those two points into Swift Control for a more major boost to your dps right out of Transmogrify. it's very tempting to pick up Transference for just one point and gain a huge source of Charge (depending on your target....) instead of Swift Control, but i think Swift Control is more important for dps and Transference doesn't help your stated goal of Crowd Control. Fire Shield synergizes negatively with Burning Bright (poor game design, i expect it to get fixed eventually), and you have enough Crowd Control to not be getting hit terribly often anyway, so i would probably shift those two points back into Combust.

around here, there's about 7 or so points that really could go either way, and it depends on how much you use Ground of Strength. 45/21 is a pretty awkward split and i just get this feeling that Ground of Strength isn't all that valuable for PvE, especially while you have so much Crowd Control to prevent yourself from taking damage in the first place. still, right here you have squeezed out a few % more damage output at the cost of the debatable Fire Shield and Fiery Resolve.

i feel that 38/28 is a better split if you're not going to go for Mass Burn anyway. with so many Crowd Controls, it just seems unlikely that you'll need Ground of Strength at all, and in exchange for that one ability (and Improved Ground of Power which i decided was the best place to pull points from since it gave the most situational benefit), you gain five others: Transference, Split Personality, Reflective Presence and Priest's Lament and Death's Edict! that's at least three more seconds of stun towards your Haunting Pain right there.

Unbreakable Bounds > Haunting Pain > Death's Edict is the full duration of the dot and then some. using Swift Control to pop a Transmogrify with something like Cinder Burst, you could throw that chain in there practically for free before beginning a more direct damage sequence of spells (mostly boring ole' Fireball and Storm Snackle (sic)). Burn, Lockdown and Transference are probably all you'll really need to ensure that you're perfectly safe while sustaining Internalize Charge.

probably raw Fireball spam interlaced with Cinderburst and Fire Bolt as your procs go off will yield better sustained DPS for groups, just remember that you have Mind Wipe! i'm hoping that Flicker might be used with Flashfire, but i wouldn't bet on it since it doesn't mention hard stuns specifically in its description.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokett View Post

Ty,to both of you ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast