+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock/Necro Dots need to crit!?!?

Shadowlander

Default Warlock/Necro Dots need to crit!?!?

Not sure if anyone else feels this way but warlock and necros rely on 2 things for damage pet and dots. Why dont our dots crit. Is this a temp thing or is it permenant? Every game that has a warlock or necro that ive played has crittable dots why doesnt this one? I feel our damage is just ok for the time being but i havent gotten past lvl 15 playing around with specs and every other aspect of the game. Do I need to sit it out to a higher lvl and stop worrying about this or does anyone else feel this may be an issue?

Ascendant

I'm pretty sure they do. I've got a bunch of 60+ leeching flame crits with my buffs up. I don't see why archon dots would have special treatment over warlock so I assume you just had a terrible crit chance.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 01-11-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Shadowlander

Channel spells i saw critting all the time and I asked over world chat. Everyone said dots dont crit only our channel spells do. I dont see how i can see a channel spell crit and have such horrible luck of not seeing any of my dots crit. I know other classes that have dots dont have the issue we do. Just want enough people to agree that this should be fixed since at least half our spells are dots if not more.

Rift Chaser

I played warlock last beta and i'm sure my dots we're criting. I remember they did because they also healed me for % of dmg done.

Shadowlander

I watch every dot i casted and not one would crit. Ill be playing next beta as well and going to keep an eye on this. Not sure what sets my character apart from yours but my dots were not critting. Channel and regular spells critted fine but dots did not. Maybe you were using your channel spell heal which does crit. but the dots did not. not for me at least

The whole damage over time spell will crit, not just individual ticks here and there. So for instance, I could use soul purge, or life leech, and I would notice that all the ticks would crit, not just some. Seems to work the same way with HOTs. It's either all or none critting. Not sure I am fan of this.

Shadowlander

Ok that makes more sence i guess. I was looking for the jump in damage like my channel spells were doing. Not an over all crit. Ill have to just test out one dot at a time instead of putting rows upon rows and looking for individual crits.

Shadowlander

Knowing that ill definatly have think about a race change. Theres a race that allows 100% crit with a 20% degrade for ever spell casted... A full row of dots with 100% crits on cast is dangerous in that case. I can see this getting nerfed in the higher lvls once spell power is at its fullest.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Worstluck View Post
    The whole damage over time spell will crit, not just individual ticks here and there. So for instance, I could use soul purge, or life leech, and I would notice that all the ticks would crit, not just some. Seems to work the same way with HOTs. It's either all or none critting. Not sure I am fan of this.
    Actually you're right, I haven't even noticed this. Thought it was odd how frequent my dots would crit but now it makes sense. I actually prefer that to the WoW style individual dot crits. Makes it a lot easier to see burst coming and to deal with it if you have a dispel.

Confirmed.

Dots like Life Leech or Dark Touch do crit. If first tick proces all following proc too.
    Tho I noticed that Channeled AoE dmg spells - like: Devouring Shadows - proc randomly, not all in a row on exect target.

Opinions?

I played a Necro/warlock till lvl 25 and i never saw any dot criting never . And i had the feeling that our dmg is just mediocre .

I played a necro/lock/archon until 23 and I admit that my damage is a little mediocre. As far as soloing though, I could easily take on many mobs and even kill elites my level easily using soul purge. If soul purge critted, it was pretty nice damage. Plus, I never had mana problems, whereas my cleric frequently was oom when I got higher in levels.

As far as endgame dps, I have no idea. I will probably have a necro/lock as one of my main characters regardless

Rift Disciple

yea well point is a pyromancer can only crit for 700 and he is the best to burst damage a target as a mage..... but a Marksmen/ranger/sap, can crit for 1200.

our Rogue pet can crit for 400.... and the fact that we got no way to AoE our dots and we have to refresh them every 16 sec. kills our dps even more then it should.

they need to fix this inbalance or il go Marksmen/ranger/sab in retail like 50% of the population

Exclamation

I tested the Kelari racial at lvl 5 or 6, can't remember, and DoTs didn't crit at all. Go ahead and try; it doesn't work. I've tried it multiple times, and if I have to put up a video (in the next beta of course) of it DoTs not critting I'll do it. Some people say DoTs crit, others say they don't. I, for one, believe that when you have a buff that says "Your next ability has a 100% chance to crit" and doesn't crit, then it can't.

Channeled spells do, and I highly believe that DoTs don't. Make a low level Kelari Warlock and try it. I doubt your experience will be any different than mine.

Last edited by Volcan; 01-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.

As others have said, the whole DoT does indeed crit. I personally like this better then each tick having a chance to crit. Especially with Soul Burn as a necro. I often would crit with soul burn and see incoming heals of 140-160 per tick for 8 seconds for me and the pet. Multiple times this allowed me to have a melee beating on me while I finished off someone from range and then could turn and deal with him.

DoT's definetly need a bump up across the board, and there are numerous threads in the beta forums about it. We'll see what they decide to do.

As to some of the other comments about marksmen, clerics, etc - there will always be a FotM class/combo. One of the best parts of this game is that it isn't paper/rock/scissors and you can have all kinds of wierd combos. There will always be those combos that are better then others. I would take anyone saying DoT classes or necro's, or <insert class combo here> is crap because so and so is better with a grain of salt.

While I feel dots definetly need an increase in damage, necro/lock fits my playstyle perfectly. Even in it's current form, survivability is amazing even if you aren't a chart topper every time. To each their own.

+ Reply to Thread