+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a single Class Specific LOOT BUFF

Rift Disciple

Default Suggest a single Class Specific LOOT BUFF

Having been a player in a few mmo's, one thing I noticed in paying attention to trends in beta was the LFG channel activity. I noticed that most of the requests were for class builds that could self-heal or tank. I also noticed that the other requests for dps was primarily ranged attackers. After reading the forums here and specifically seeing the player consensus that the rogue melee classes are mostly underpowered dps considering that they have little armor going for them, I began to worry about the potential for lack of groups as I increase in levels. I added in another thread that I agree some dmg output needs attention but for brevity I won't discuss that here.
    Loot Buffing has been something that seems to gain inclusion for classes in MMOs that may otherwise have less of a community roll. I am suggesting a loot buff ability for a single rogue melee class that will insure their involvement in groups. I have seen this play out effectively in other games. FFXI, for example had a combination system that involved a natural ability for the Thief class at lower levels and only unlocked full potential with gaining a specific piece of gear at near maximum levels. Aion, gave the ability to the Spiritmaster class as an ability with a cool down cycle. Having played both I would suggest that it really depends on the direction that Trion Worlds wants to take the specific class that they would potentially grant it to, whichever one that may be. To clarify, I am saying that if they don't intend to promote gross dmg output in a class that is forced to get in close to a target, then why not grant it an edge to promote the concept of community involvement. The idea is a little complicated by the consideration that uniquely in this game you have the ability to combine skill trees from certain other classes, so consideration of the pairing skill trees would need to be weighed. For example, you know that certain other abilities such as a huge ranged dps ability while avoiding target's AOEs, tanking abilities,and healing abilities are already going to be in high demand, so why not look to a class that has none of those in it's skill trees or it's partnered skill trees? It just makes good sense. I nominate a melee rogue class, because they only wear leather armor (so no tanking) and they have a limited future as the levels progress due to the nature of the class and the lack of high damage output relative to other classes. I won't go into that here though because it is more than adequately covered in another thread.
    As for suggestions on mechanics, I was thinking a tiered loot buff ability to not allow any over-powering of one class. Perhaps at the mid-tier (around 10 points) give a single specific rogue melee class a small loot buff ability with a five or even ten minute cool down. Then the same specific rogue melee class gets an increase in percentage as they climb that tree only. At most give it a 40% increase (depending on the game drop rates, which I am not sure of atm) at maximum level. Perhaps this could be an argument for promoting the community participation efforts that RIFT seems to be interested in. Another idea is to make it an always passive trait but the rogue must actually strike the target to gain the effectiveness as opposed to simply being a group member. Just suggestions.

Interesting idea, it would be cool to see it play out.

In Beta, we get access to 3 souls before L5 and can have all 8 by L15 (or as soon as you visit the main city)

In the released game you will be lucky to have 3 souls by L15 and will get all 8 around L45-L50.

This will greatly change the groups required for instances and will give the Melee rogues a valid spot in groups again.

I don't think Melee rogues need any changes yet, but it will all depend on what levels you can get the souls in the released game, as beta is currently reflecting the wrong balance.

I don't think this is a good idea. It will require a rogue with this ability on every raid. And, the rogue who has to spend points in the skill will be missing out on other utility skills which bolster DPS or evasion; s/he will be bitter that they have to give up the points in order to increase the loot table percentages for everyone else, ultimately.
    clu - shatterbone

Greenscale: 5/5 --- River Of Souls: 4/4 --- Gilded Prophecy 4/4
    Shatterbone's #1 Guild - www.zombiegoasts.com

Soulwalker

You dont buff rogues gear to make them viable..thats silly and unfair.

What you do is make the rogue have a rogue group buff to make your inclusion worthwhile, like the Leader of the Pack buff for druids in WoW(example only)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by grinningsphinx69 View Post
    You dont buff rogues gear to make them viable..thats silly and unfair.

What you do is make the rogue have a rogue group buff to make your inclusion worthwhile, like the Leader of the Pack buff for druids in WoW(example only)
    Actually, I have played in a game that did exactly that and it worked just fine. FFXI, as I explained worked jsut fine for the "treasure hunter" ability. I'm not saying that RIFT mirror that. I was just saying that a loot buff, to my knowledge does not exist in the game and I wanted to start a thread to suggest it. That is what we play beta for, correct? We find things that might enhance the gaming experience and suggest them based on our previous experiences and backgrounds. Don't be so quick to judge something as silly just because you haven't experienced it firsthand. I never was interestd in WoW but I try to not make fun of it or it's fanbase.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaipa View Post
    Actually, I have played in a game that did exactly that and it worked just fine. FFXI, as I explained worked jsut fine for the "treasure hunter" ability. I'm not saying that RIFT mirror that. I was just saying that a loot buff, to my knowledge does not exist in the game and I wanted to start a thread to suggest it. That is what we play beta for, correct? We find things that might enhance the gaming experience and suggest them based on our previous experiences and backgrounds. Don't be so quick to judge something as silly just because you haven't experienced it firsthand. I never was interestd in WoW but I try to not make fun of it or it's fanbase.
    If you can somehow buff their melee without buffing their range then i'd partly agree.. But only if.. Ranged Rogues are pretty powerful in PvP (esp considering some of the /cough racial abilites).. Last thing we need is an attempt to buff their melee damage that buffs their ranged damage too..

IMHO the calling that needs the most help is the mage not the rogue
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

well you found the punctuation keys but apparently ou didnt find you enter key
    Down the rabbit hole...

Rift Disciple

Are you kidding? I tried a mage first because I know they typically are OP as the burst damage class of most MMOs. I suppose it depends on what mage combo you are working with, but in my little experience with my Pyro/Archon/Dominator, I was amazed at the firepower. My only concern was the slow timer cooldown on using pots. Mages are at the mercy of their mana pool and it seemed to me that if I were going to roll mage as main on launch day, then I would be very much pushing for attention to the potion timers.

Ranged rogues do fine in this game, but yeah the melee bound rogues are definitely deserving another look. I'm not gonna dwell on it though, because I already read elsewhere that they are going to get the much needed attention in one form or another.

Rift Disciple

Rogues can tank or heal if needed if you don't want to dps.

Rift Disciple

The point is that rogues (melee) are typically strong burst dmg dps but have little or virtually no defense in most games. I love dps, and I don't think I could have the patience to play a support role. It just isn't any interest to me. I was just starting thread A) to mention the idea of a loot buff, not that it is an original idea at all to mmo's and B) I read a lot of concern from players, like me, who noticed that melee rogues are not very strong dps and I was hoping to offer a potential way of providing an incentive to get them group invites once the game gets started.

After reading a few of the posts here, I see that the concept of an always passive loot enhancer ability is foreign to most, but I assure you it was a nice addition to the one time I saw it used in a game. The gear specific boost to it was more of an elite bonus that most players didn't have initially, but it did get the class included in groups often enough and that was my point. I saw the same effect in the caster class in another mmo with a 5 minute cooldown and only 10 sec use loot buff. In either application, it got the otherwise meh class to get some invites to group activities. I really hope that the concept gets some consideration, but it really is just a suggestion to an already amazing game. Kudos to Trion for the concept and the game mechanics.

I'd rather see melee rogues have the DPS or utility to be viable on their own. Hartsman has already addressed this issue and said that there will be an improvement to the rogue combat system in place for beta 5.

Plus, as it is right now, the only "underpowered" rogue souls are assassin/nightblade/bladedancer, and even that is arguable. Bards are amazing, Riftstalkers are great tanks, and Rangers, Marksmen and Saboteurs do great DPS from range while having other utility and strengths as well.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

I don't even know where to begin on how bad of an idea this is. So, therefore, I will simply say that I hope nothing like this is even considered let alone implemented.

They would need to change an entire soul for this concept, or add a new one for all 4 callings. New souls probably wont happen now. And I would hope that the rogue soul for this would go deep if they wanted better % for both armor and weapons or abilities to target a certain item to drop from the loot table gimping their ability to dps/tank/heal or whatever they wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Natjur View Post

In the released game you will be lucky to have 3 souls by L15 and will get all 8 around L45-L50.
    Oh, darn, that is so disappointing to me... I was really digging having access to all the souls by level 15... Where did you read that the soul system is going to be changed at launch?

A little kindness goes a long way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast