+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battle Cleric: Justicar + Shaman?

Rift Chaser

Default Battle Cleric: Justicar + Shaman?

Hi there,

I have yet to actually get into a beta event, but I've been playing with the Soul Planner over at Telarapedia and trying to get an idea of what I would like to try out. The idea of a battle cleric really appeals to me - especially the Justicar, as I love the 'melee damage gives healing power' mechanic.

It seems to me a good compliment to the Justicar soul is the Shaman soul, as there are a lot of good, up-close damage dealing abilities and traits in there, especially early on. From just looking at the trees, it seems like you could craft a real beast of a warhammer wielding, high-DPS, relatively high-armor cleric who can also heal (though not as well as a real dedicated healer).

What do people who have had in-game experience think of this combo? Also, what might be a good third soul to add to this mix? Would you recommend focusing on one more than the other, or spreading points out? The build I was just playing with ended up with 33 points in Justicar and 31 points in Shaman. Is that an ok way to do it, or is it generally better to focus on one and make the other two just auxiliaries?

Thanks for the input!

Soulwalker

I've been playing a short time in the beta and played some time as Justicar + Shaman, this with a third soul as Druid.
    My impression was that the Justicar as "main soul" was able to be tanking a group of mobs, also rift mobs, also thanks to the Justicars healing abilities. Combined with the Shaman it got a lot of buffs and striking power.
    With the Shaman as main you get an even more powerfull Cleric with the ability to heal your self with every strike, which gives you a lot of survivability.

So all in all I would say that this is a strong combo, and certainly a combo I will be playing.

To add a comment on the last soul, this is a choice that will depent on your playstyle. You can get both extra healing or some extra melee power. Bot sure, when we get to see what level 50 will give us, this may have a bigger effect than we know at the moment.

Soulwalker

Justicar/shaman is a sick combo. I am not a big fan of a druid as a third, yea you get buffs and a pocket healer but I would rather something that adds to heals or tanking like a warden. Shaman is a great class in this game, it pumps out a ton of DPS and has great survivability. The real question you have to ask yourself with this build is do you want to be focused on DPS or tanking? If its DPS you dont need too much in Justicar but if your doing a Cleric/tank you will. Mainly because the Justicar has lots of shield related abils.

this was my build in all of the betas

currently, at lvl 27 the build is amazing, solo and group play
    plus, using the right tactics, you have pretty good dps, infinite mana , self healing ability and party support (u can also be 2ndary healer on the MT or the MH)
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Default Yes and no

Justicar is a great tank build, shaman is a great dps builds there are ways to mix the talents but Justicar self healing is halved when using non justicar abilities and when in mien of leadership your non mandate heals are severely weakened as well. When using the group passive heal it is further weakened by non justicar abilities. Also shaman abilities arent life damage so no conviction from them.

Lets be honest the 40 health you gained with a good justicar strike didnt compare to the 200 damage the mob was dealing now its 20hp.

However just for the Talents if you wish to be full tank something like this will give you another 5% flat damage increase, 5% damage reduction, and 15% incomming heals. As well as the reactive shield.

For DPS/support justicar spec because the heals come in the form of justicar only attacks and life damage granted conviction I cant see taking shaman.

A good straight dps build for clerics would be something like this

Lemme know what you think

Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"

Rift Disciple

My build

Its a beast.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Justicar is a great tank build, shaman is a great dps builds there are ways to mix the talents but Justicar self healing is halved when using non justicar abilities and when in mien of leadership your non mandate heals are severely weakened as well. When using the group passive heal it is further weakened by non justicar abilities. Also shaman abilities arent life damage so no conviction from them.

Lets be honest the 40 health you gained with a good justicar strike didnt compare to the 200 damage the mob was dealing now its 20hp.

However just for the Talents if you wish to be full tank something like this will give you another 5% flat damage increase, 5% damage reduction, and 15% incomming heals. As well as the reactive shield.

For DPS/support justicar spec because the heals come in the form of justicar only attacks and life damage granted conviction I cant see taking shaman.

A good straight dps build for clerics would be something like this

Lemme know what you think

Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"
    You use the shaman for the Vengences etc. The snare vengence on melee hits is lethal in PVP and in PVE you use the Storm one that adds damage to each melee hit. This build is a beast in PVE and PVP and is one of the most efficent cleric builds ive found. I never run OOM ever. Also ths spellshield/ds is $$ in PVP and PVE.
    Last edited by Markn122; 01-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markn122 View Post
    You use the shaman for the Vengences etc. The snare vengence on melee hits is lethal in PVP and in PVE you use the Storm one that adds damage to each melee hit. This build is a beast in PVE and PVP and is one of the most efficent cleric builds ive found. I never run OOM ever. Also ths spellshield/ds is $$ in PVP and PVE.
    I agree my solo spec is Shaman / Druid / Sent. But because the Snare vengence is so high on the tree I dont see what splicing justicar gets you. Speccing that high into shaman your damaging abilities come from non life damage so no conviction and the self heals are further weakened.

I agree my solo spec is Shaman / Druid / Sent. But because the Snare vengence is so high on the tree I dont see what splicing justicar gets you. Speccing that high into shaman your damaging abilities come from non life damage so no conviction and the self heals are further weakened.
    Justicar gets you a bunch of staying power. More armor, less damage taken, pretty solid self healing, mana regen, etc.

You have to choose when you want to use the Justicar life abilities to power your healing (passive group/self stuff, and charges) and when you want to pump out more damage.

I find there are definitely times where I'm good on healing and I can afford to go for mana regen, and/or more DPS from shaman abilities. There are times where I'm in the middle of the action, and getting focused, where I'd much prefer to do a little less DPS with Justicar styles and get the healing/charges mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMacabre View Post
    Justicar gets you a bunch of staying power. More armor, less damage taken, pretty solid self healing, mana regen, etc.

You have to choose when you want to use the Justicar life abilities to power your healing (passive group/self stuff, and charges) and when you want to pump out more damage.

I find there are definitely times where I'm good on healing and I can afford to go for mana regen, and/or more DPS from shaman abilities. There are times where I'm in the middle of the action, and getting focused, where I'd much prefer to do a little less DPS with Justicar styles and get the healing/charges mechanic.
    I can definitely see the conviction instant self heal paying off as the druid and shaman ones are cooldowns which is why I spliced sentinel. But Shamans have an identical mana regen spell that doesn't require any charges and correct me if im wrong is on the same CD.

In your build you get the Crit = Health but go away from the crit chance talent. You chose armor over flat damage reduction.

No doubt it works but I think that together we can Theorycraft an even more ridiculous build.

-Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"

I can definitely see the conviction instant self heal paying off as the druid and shaman ones are cooldowns which is why I spliced sentinel. But Shamans have an identical mana regen spell that doesn't require any charges and correct me if im wrong is on the same CD.

In your build you get the Crit = Health but go away from the crit chance talent. You chose armor over flat damage reduction.

No doubt it works but I think that together we can Theorycraft an even more ridiculous build.

-Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"
    I actually didn't post a build, you're referring to someone else. My build is not the one he posted, where I did in fact take the self reduced damage and increased crit chance.

The shaman mana regen option is on a 2 minute cooldown, and is also quite powerful. The Justicar one is like a 15 second cooldown (maybe even 10) and is up pretty much any time I don't need my conviction charges for healing, which happens a fair bit.

Having both means I'm never going to run out of mana. Between the Shaman reactive "heal myself when I'm crit", heal myself when I crit and self shield, and then my Justicar abilities to passively heal a fair bit just for swinging, and proc heals on myself anytime via conviction, the guy is just a load to take down.

The beauty of this class system is that there are probably hundreds of combinations and ways to do things, so this isn't me saying "my way is best". I was just responding to your question of "why splash Justicar". I tried it, and it worked out pretty darn well.

Rift Disciple

-Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"
    You can stack POP and the shaman mana regen vengence and get 8% mana regen per melee hit.

+ Reply to Thread