+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Priest: Justicar + Inquisitor + Purifier

Soulwalker

Default Shadow Priest: Justicar + Inquisitor + Purifier

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rif...3216,5_3217,2_

The exact spec doesn't really matter. What matters is the combination of Justicar + Inquisitor. The Inquisitor tree provides lots of damage (and some CC), which parts of the Justicar tree (Salvation, Reparation, etc.) can convert into some healing for you and your teammates.Righteous Mandate can heal a tank if you aren't taking damage.

Other synergy:
    - Justicar makes you more survivable (+armor and -damage taken)
    -Casting life-based Inquisitor spells gives you stacks of Conviction that you can use to heal yourself or allies.
    -Purifier gives extra Wisdom (which I assume is useful; I haven't played yet), and its 4-point root ability gives you a reliable heal spell should you need it in a pinch. (Perhaps Sentinel or Cabalist would be better as the third tree.)

Does this build look viable? Thoughts?

Rift Chaser

No Cabalist?With its death magic?You would think that is one priest that fits the Shadow priest theme

Soulwalker

I've been trying it out for the last few hours (at level 18), though I took Warden (for the instant HoT) instead of Purifier.

It's been working fairly well. The Life damage abilities of the Inquisitor proc Conviction like you would think, including every tick of Sanction Heretic.

My favorite part of it is throwing Bolt of Judgement with Bolt of Radiance right behind it. The damage output seems quite effective and I like how you can burst with it.

Coming from a previous Justicar+Shaman+Warden build, survivability seems about the same if not better (due to taking the armor and defense talents over DPS talents). Of course you have Salvation and Doctrine of Bliss for self-heals along with the Healing Spray.

Mana has been surprisingly efficient, though I always eye the Warden talent for an additional 10%. It's a shame that Purpose becomes rather useless since it's difficult to really melee effectively as a ranged caster (and with a slow 2H staff). Ah well, always have potions!

I think it will only become more viable once I creep up into the higher Inquisitor abilities and talents.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mykinius View Post
    Other synergy:
    - Justicar makes you more survivable (+armor and -damage taken)
    -Casting life-based Inquisitor spells gives you stacks of Conviction that you can use to heal yourself or allies.
    -Purifier gives extra Wisdom (which I assume is useful; I haven't played yet), and its 4-point root ability gives you a reliable heal spell should you need it in a pinch. (Perhaps Sentinel or Cabalist would be better as the third tree.)

Does this build look viable? Thoughts?
    Now, I haven't checked your build, but what's everyone's obsession with Purifier as a DPS sub-soul? Purifier is probably the least attractive soul for something like that. What you will want is a soul that:
    1.) Provides you with emergency heals in case you're left without Convictions
    2.) Has talents that synergise with your main calling

And this always leads me back to Sentinel
    1.) 5% Spellpwer > 5% Wisdom
    2.) Healing Grace > Healing Flame by a long shot as backup healing utility.
    3.) Targeted instant heal every 8 seconds is superior to a self-shield every 30 seconds
    4.) +20% crit damage/healing increase. This stacks with Fanatic's Faith for 190% damage/healing crits instead of 150%.
    5.) I'd even take Luminous Gaze. It's instant, has no cooldown and buffs everyone's crit chance on that target for 5%.

A Inq/Just/Sent build... phew.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...Evkb0x0qz.V0xz maybe. Ignored L&D Concord mainly for the focus on Life based abilities. Optionally, Luminous Gaze can be swapped for Ritual of Judgment, but I'm not sure if this will contribute to the overall build.
    Better living through technology!
    Inventing Cleric builds is too mainstream for me.

On the topic of Inquisitor/Justicar + Healing Soul

I find Sentinel is a great companion soul to Inquisitor because of the +20% crit damage and +spellpower. Your points aren't healing-focused and are well spent, imo - and you get a spammable solid heal(healing grace) and a standard rez(though arguably you could as easily switch souls rez since you're out of combat, that's just a nice bonus for going to 10 points, which you want to imo). There's also Banish, an additional Life-damage DOT that goes well with the combination.

Right now I initiate combat with a Bolt of Depravity, cast Spiritual Deficiency while it's in the air so that it gets the +7% by the time it hits, then tack on Vex, Banish, and Sanction Heretic if it's off CD. Follow up with another Bolt of Depravity. (I haven't worked out whether it's better to spam BOD or BOJ yet, BOJ may work better for Life-Based bonuses)

This is my current build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jde.x0x.Vxkizx0Vz.x

I've been thinking about swapping Warden out for Justicar, since I've maxed what I wanted in the Inquisitor tree really.

The build I'm looking at doing as I get to 50 is this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...kizx0V.VuMsoxx

for purity I put that together before reviewing your build. I'm going to look at it now and will appraise differences.
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

Quote Originally Posted by Mridc View Post
    Now, I haven't checked your build, but what's everyone's obsession with Purifier as a DPS sub-soul? Purifier is probably the least attractive soul for something like that. What you will want is a soul that:

3.) Targeted instant heal every 8 seconds is superior to a self-shield every 30 seconds
    4.) +20% crit damage/healing increase. This stacks with Fanatic's Faith for 190% damage/healing crits instead of 150%.
    5.) I'd even take Luminous Gaze. It's instant, has no cooldown and buffs everyone's crit chance on that target for 5%.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...Evkb0x0qz.V0xz maybe. Ignored L&D Concord mainly for the focus on Life based abilities. Optionally, Luminous Gaze can be swapped for Ritual of Judgment, but I'm not sure if this will contribute to the overall build.
    The personal shield, at max rank, absorbs over 1k damage. It also prevents pushback on spells.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Mridc View Post

After analysing your Justicar build and tossing out the Shield-based abilities, I came to pretty much the same build you did, actually. Nice build!
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

What exactly is the goal for this build? If it's for raiding or dungeons why do you need this extra survivability? If you are dpsing then you should be maximizing your damage output rather than being concerned about survivability.

If it is for PvP then I believe there are much better options that mixing in Justicar. For example, here is a build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00djG.Evkbxxzqz.E0E.V

Now you could substitute the Purifier soul if you want for Warden and that will give you another Hot, an instant cast spammable attack (Waterjet) which is good for when you have to keep moving, and another knock back. The important part with this build is that you go far enough into Sentinel to get Healer's Covenant (think of it like Pain Suppression from WoW), Quietus (a silence), Cleansing Prayer (a defensive purge), and a third DoT in Banish. I have found that this makes for a very nice PvP build.

The other option would be to go 21 points into the Templar tree (our actual pvp tree): http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...zqz.xx0R0c0V.m
    Bokor - Cleric (Warrior Priest)

For PvE, you have 2 basic options (give or take a few points): 1) Focus your secondary points in Cabalist, 2) Focus your secondary points into Sentinel.

The Inq/Cab/Sent build would be something like:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00doj.EEkigtkqz.VxV
    This build focuses more on building up your base damage through static percentage damage upgrades. It is better until you get a decent amount of crit % and also provides you with a secondary means of getting back mana.

The Inq/Sent/Cab build would be like:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00doj.EEkigtkqz.V.V0x
    This build focuses more on building up your crit damage and should only be considered when you have a higher crit percentage (think upper 20% range)
    Bokor - Cleric (Warrior Priest)

Soulwalker

Default Why a healing spec for the 3rd soul?

Currently I am playing mostly PVE by myself, and a little group stuff.

For a "shadow priest" solo 9 points in Justicar is my sweet spot (at level 27)
    I put 6 into Cabalist for the AoE attacks.
    I put the rest of the points into Inquisitor.

I will link the build later tonight when I get home.

Multiples (3-7 mobs) rotation goes thusly:
    1. Vex spam to gather mobs (and start the healing)
    2. Soul Drain, (this will heal me for over 25% of my total health, if 3+ mobs are in the area (level 27))
    3. Bound Fate
    4. Shadows Touch 1 or two times until Soul Drain is available again. (go back to 2 and repeat)
    If it is a big mob and a bunch of smaller ones, the small ones will die quickly, then I goto Bolt of Radiance, and Sanction Heretic to get some Conviction stacks and heal myself quickly before doing Bolt of Justice till it dies or my BoR is available again.

Single target rotation is fairly simple:
    1. Vex
    2. Bolt of Radiance
    3. Sanction Heretic
    4. Bolt of Justice
    Reapply Vex as necessary, and use BoR and SH as often as they are available.

I have zero problems taking out 4-5 equal level mobs at 27, and if I end a fight at half health it is not a big deal, I just make sure to pull the last mob of my next group with BoR (and or SH) instead of Vex and heal myself with my single target heal.

I know I am not the highest level, but I have found this to work out quite well for myself... the biggest problem I have had so far is getting aggro even with Mein of Honor on in DSM, I am completely destroying solo PvE.

Please don't post good Cleric builds. Don't forget, Clerics are just for healing, and we wouldn't want other non-clerics to realise differently, or they might start playing them too.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by KylarJ View Post
    Please don't post good Cleric builds. Don't forget, Clerics are just for healing, and we wouldn't want other non-clerics to realise differently, or they might start playing them too.
    Ha! Clerics are the best healers in the game, and from what I can tell we are crappy off tanks, and really good damage dealers as well. I understand the want to stay in the healing focus, my second spec is a healing spec (Sent/Warden/Druid), but if you are just wanting to play alone, and quest I have not found a better build than the one I described above. The problem is I did forget to mention that I have to go 10 points into Justicar (for Mein of Honor) regardless of playing alone or with a group, so there is little point in not going the full 11 for group/solo play.

I know that the Mages are supposed to get a buff here shortly, but currently I would say I have more survivability/AoE damage output capability than any mage spec I have seen currently, ditto for rogues. I have seen the "Melee" clerics fight one mob and not be able to take it out in the time it takes me to kill 4. Again I understand the want to keep a clear cut "Healing" soul in the rotation, but I find that it detracts more than it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia2 View Post
    Ha! Clerics are the best healers in the game, and from what I can tell we are crappy off tanks, and really good damage dealers as well. I understand the want to stay in the healing focus, my second spec is a healing spec (Sent/Warden/Druid), but if you are just wanting to play alone, and quest I have not found a better build than the one I described above. The problem is I did forget to mention that I have to go 10 points into Justicar (for Mein of Honor) regardless of playing alone or with a group, so there is little point in not going the full 11 for group/solo play.
    Missed my point.

General of Telara

Justicar is a melee soul how do you consider that being a shadow priest?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by KylarJ View Post
    Missed my point.
    Hehe,

I didn't miss it, I just do not want to get into the 30-50lvl instances and be told that the only thing I can do is heal because I am a Cleric. I am already being told that in DSM and it is annoying to say the least. I do not understand why we would need 2 dedicated healers, but apparently to some groups that is preferrable to having a DPSing Cleric and a Healing Cleric (happened to me last night, because my damage+off healing was grabbing aggro, when I went to full healing, I still pulled aggro (Blaming the aggro issues on the tank being new))... Not to mention that I am only in the instances for the gear, I take a hit to leveling speed when I am dealing with other people in these instances.

I know what you are saying, but keeping these things to just ourselves is hurting us more than it is helping... I agree that it is great that there are so few Clerics because nobody thinks they have any souls beyond Sentinel, Warden, Purifier, and Druid (for the extra hot we dont have to cast). But the mindset is we are "Healers" only is already getting annoying..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast