Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mass Exodus this winter

Rift Disciple

i hear Diablo 3 is out around xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrayny View Post
    I guess I should have been clearer, WoW had no organized PvP from the beginning. Who the heck cares about ganking people in the open world.
    I'll go with; majority of people on pvp servers for 300 Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind View Post
    There will always be mass exodus when a new MMO comes out. Nerfs or no nerfs. Perfect or not. Balanced or imbalanced.

A subscriber for Rift may unsub for two months to try out SWTOR. They may or may not like it then resub Rift. I think Trion's goal is to produce a quality game for gamers to come and go. Not to "ink" them to 2 year contracts. Hence there exists an option for month to month sub.
    GW2 will be released quite soon after SWTOR so most ppl who gets dissapointed to SWTOR will choose GW2 over RIFT. Then I don't see a reason to move from GW2 to RIFT, but maybe it's just me. RIFT's current state just doesn't offer much against those big names.

SWTOR has another good sidekick on it's side which is that it will FINALLY be a new Sci-Fi MMO and it already attracts lots of peeps including me. On the other hand though, I'm Sci-Fi and SW fan anyways
    Last edited by Radeon; 08-31-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ShayolGhul88 View Post
    As I've browsed the forums every few days and talked to different people playing Rift, most of us aren't happy with the current state of affairs. Ninja nerfs, sledgehammer nerfs, etc. Well doesn't matter for much longer, with SWTOR coming out soon I'm sure plenty of us will un-sub and tell Trion to go f*** themselves.
    Not to mention Battlefield 3 The rest of you can have Rift and keep playing a sub-par MMO thanks to the devs
    Just leave, you won't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeon View Post
    GW2 will be released quite soon after SWTOR so most ppl who gets dissapointed to SWTOR will choose GW2 over RIFT. Then I don't see a reason to move from GW2 to RIFT, but maybe it's just me. RIFT's current state just doesn't offer much against those big names.

SWTOR has another good sidekick on it's side which is that it will FINALLY be a new Sci-Fi MMO and it already attracts lots of peeps including me. On the other hand though, I'm Sci-Fi and SW fan anyways

Edit: Also don't forget that there will be other damn awesome games for example Battlefield 3, Skyrim and so on. It will be hard time to gain new players when those names are being released. Tbh, I also bought RIFT only because I had no anything better to play right now.
    Because this forum fails with the post editing, I must reply to my own post to add an edit.
    Last edited by Radeon; 08-31-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind View Post
    There will always be mass exodus when a new MMO comes out. Nerfs or no nerfs. Perfect or not. Balanced or imbalanced.

A subscriber for Rift may unsub for two months to try out SWTOR. They may or may not like it then resub Rift. I think Trion's goal is to produce a quality game for gamers to come and go. Not to "ink" them to 2 year contracts. Hence there exists an option for month to month sub.
    Unfortunately, most of the subs will expire around the end of september and Swtor will be out around november.
    But november is also the end of the fiscal year, when balances are submitted. People leaving in this time frame will not be something to underestimate.
    Science is built of facts the way a house is built of bricks; but an accumulation of facts is no more science than a pile of bricks is a house.
    - Henri Poincare

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Marzio View Post
    Unfortunately, most of the subs will expire around the end of september and Swtor will be out around november.
    This preposition is based on your own assumptions. I think you mean MANY of the subs will be UP FOR RENEWAL around the end of september.

Quote Originally Posted by Marzio View Post
    But november is also the end of the fiscal year, when balances are submitted. People leaving in this time frame will not be something to underestimate.
    Who is underestimating? First, balances of your fiscal year are not calculated with only the last couple months so it is irrelevant when subs are lost/gained during the year to the money people. Secondly, the science (ebb and flow) of MMO subs is studied by many economists and marketeers not to mention the basic understanding of it by the general populous of gamers. I don't think the shift in subs from one 'year old' game to another 'new hyped' game is anything that will catch anyone off guard. It's how these shifts move over the course of the next 6 to 12 months that should be considered.

I am new to RIFT so I have nothing to contribute to the OP but these comments just caught me as unnecessarily fallacious.
    Last edited by Dosage; 09-01-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Telaran

Meh was originally interested in SWTOR.... Recently saw a few trailer showing combat and ohh my boy it looks terrible. I highly doubt ill end up playing. Still pissed at how Bioware went away from its roots (BG1+2 etc) and released Dragon age 2 which made me lose all respect for them

. RIFT's current state just doesn't offer much against those big names.
    Except rift produces more content, faster than any other company.

As For SWTOR ... sure it's shiny and fun and I'll most likely play it, but expect the game to get stale after a few months. How quickly do you think they can produce content for that game with all their voice overs. Expect a new dungeon every 6 months.

SWTOR's selling point is the replayability ... this is nice for the casual crowd and ensures that low level areas will be populated. This offers nothing for the non-casual gamer. he problem with people expecting for SWTOR to be the next nirvana is that these are the same people that burn through content faster than keith richards burns through a line.
    Last edited by Vaine; 09-01-2011 at 04:21 AM.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Rift Chaser

The endless MMO hype cycle. Substitute for X and Y as needed:

1. Hype Machine Starts: Game X announced! Amazing features! Fantastic License! An MMO like no other!
    2. Pre-Alpha/Alpha: 'ZOMG those screenshots/video/dev diaries show that this will be AWESOME! CANT WAIT!'
    3. Closed Beta: 'I've heard AWESOME things from the beta testers! There are bugs but who cares it's closed beta! I can't wait for Open Beta!'
    4. Open Beta: 'THIS GAME IS AWESOME! LOOK HOW AWESOME THIS RANDOM DOODAD IS! I HAVE THE GREATEST /DANCE EVER IN THIS GAME! PREORDERED CE SUPER DIGITAL AWESOME EDITION!'
    5. Release Month: 'It's here! YES! This game is GREAT! I'm gonna play nonstop till my eyes bleed! Gonna form a SUPER AWESOME guild and beat EVERYTHING and take over the whole GAME X UNIVERSE!'
    6. 3 Months After Release: "Getting little bored. Game X was awesome at first but now its just kinda okay. New bugs keep popping up and they developer keeps doing *totally* stupid things while they dont release new content nearly fast enough. RELEASE MORE FASTER AND MORE POLISHED. I wish someone would come out with a better MMO!"
    7: 6 Months After Release: "Developer X has no idea what they're doing! I can't believe they changed X, Y, and Z when I *told* them to change A, B, and C instead! IDIOTS. But now I'm super excited about Game Y, it'll TOTALLY DESTROY game X and the developers are going to *listen*!"
    8. Repeat ad naseum
    Last edited by Steejee; 09-01-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Plane Walker

LOL that seems spot on to me.
    I might leave temporarily while I go play battlefield 3 and X Rebirth, but I'll probably be back once done with those.
    Star Wars is great and all, but it's Star Wars.. Been there done that for decades..!
    GW, never pld it..
    I love how Rift is unique in it's world / mobs / feel. It's fresh compared to other games.

Rift Chaser

Whoops, I did leave out the 'Dont worry about the bugs/missing features, there's a huge MAGIC PATCH planned for launch that will fix EVERYTHING!' part of open beta.

Quote Originally Posted by ShayolGhul88 View Post
    As I've browsed the forums every few days and talked to different people playing Rift, most of us aren't happy with the current state of affairs. Ninja nerfs, sledgehammer nerfs, etc. Well doesn't matter for much longer, with SWTOR coming out soon I'm sure plenty of us will un-sub and tell Trion to go f*** themselves.
    Not to mention Battlefield 3 The rest of you can have Rift and keep playing a sub-par MMO thanks to the devs
    oh hey look another star wars fanboy
    Frootloops. p40 warrior. Seastone. Forsaken. 11/11 hk 5/8 id
    Judgejudy. p28 mage. Seastone. Forsaken. chloro/dom pvp only
    My guides: | 1.8 PvP Build | Macro Guide

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Wrayny View Post
    I guess I should have been clearer, WoW had no organized PvP from the beginning. Who the heck cares about ganking people in the open world.

All I read from you is: "We need changes made! Just don't make them too quickly!" I find it hard to keep up with your logic.
    Yes, all MMO's need changes. But to announce something day 1 that affects every aspect of PvP for every class, test it on day 2, and release it on day 3 seems a bit hasty. Waiting to see if todays server downtime is the hotfix.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Rift Disciple

With GW2 being more pvp-centric (last I was hearing, but could be wrong) I really don't see how it will be any different than Aion or Warhammer. Those 2 games were pvp-centric and they didn't last very long.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast