+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The ultimate warrior tank build?

Shadowlander

Default The ultimate warrior tank build?

I'm a big fan of playing a robust warrior tank in all MMOs and I've been struggling with the Rift soul planner trying to come up with the ultimate warrior tank build.

A few ideas:

Paladin/Warlord/Void knight (Block + mitigation and self healing)

High HP build + anti-magic abilites

The list could go on and on and I'm quite sure I missed a lot of crucial points (considering I only played a character until level 20).

Thoughts? What is your idea of an ultimate tank build for a warrior?
    Last edited by Arinas; 01-11-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Soulwalker

i went reaver/pala/warlord

reaver main+dots+ae hits are very nice and lifedrain heals you, also the -%dmg when health below 30% really does its deal at boss encounters
    pala mainly up to the +20% block shield attack
    warlord for endurance+buffs

got the build to around 48% block with the pala shield smash, close to 3k hp and 3k armor with life drain aoe and all the reaver goodies
    Last edited by damonious; 01-11-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Telaran

I am trying to think outside the box a little with my tank build and I came up with this combination that I think would work extremely well at max level.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...10000015505200

Pay close attention to the bonus's of the beastmaster spec it seems like it has some major potential though the pet might just have to constantly be standing in the back so it wont die or something.

Paladin will add 10% armor 15% block 15% endurance 30% enhanced threat +buffs that vary

Beastmaster will add 20% armor from pack mentality and I havn't been able to find out cooldown or timer on enraged companion but it has 10% armor to group and lowers npc damage by 5%

Warlord will add 10% more armor 5% dodge +5% block and a taunt and +50 resist all buff

Add it up and your armor is +40%(+50% with enraged) +20% block 15% endurance with plenty of buffs and threat with a 5% mitigation to damage that can stack multi times +50 resist all and 9% spell damage reduction.

Let me know what you guys think maybe I missed something but this build seems amazing.

Paladin / Reaver seems to be the standard gives you good defensive with some AoE ability from Reaver, the third choice is going to be dependent on what I planning on doing, maybe warlord maybe void knight depending if I going up against high magic or not.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by someguy4420 View Post
    I am trying to think outside the box a little with my tank build and I came up with this combination that I think would work extremely well at max level.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...10000015505200

Pay close attention to the bonus's of the beastmaster spec it seems like it has some major potential though the pet might just have to constantly be standing in the back so it wont die or something.

Paladin will add 10% armor 15% block 15% endurance 30% enhanced threat +buffs that vary

Beastmaster will add 20% armor from pack mentality and I havn't been able to find out cooldown or timer on enraged companion but it has 10% armor to group and lowers npc damage by 5%
    I agree about the armor bonus, the only thing I'd consider about it is the fact that you are dumping around 20 points into the tree just to get there, points which could (I haven't checked, so not sure, but COULD) be placed into a more defensive type of soul (Void knight, for example, will give you +15% endurance without too much effort).

In general, one of the main things to worry about in high-end, and again, this is just a theory, is threat - so it might be very logical for us to take 2 defensive souls and one offensive. If that's the case, Beastmaster definitely has nice tanking options.

Plane Touched

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...005500:paladin.

Ideal behind it is maximizing the self heal and debuffs of the Reaver paired with the heal buffs of the Warlord. Wanted the 10% hit reduction of the 51-pointer root ability but you'd have to pick up every single ability in the Reaver Tree which is ridiculous imo. Pally in the 3rd soul for the 20% block which might be real nice early on, maybe something better later on as the game progresses. The focus is on melee mobs/bosses.

5 points still out there and still debating
    - Crest of Abyss sounds like a multi mob tank ability and less effective on single boss senarios. Course I could always just swap out Plague Bringer for Crest of Abyss granted it's just a single mob tank event.
    - Warlord's That Which Does Not Kill Me 25% healing of dmg from a crit, depend on how the crit mechanic work...possibly worthless in PvE tanking and is a strict PvP tool.
    - Rapid Recovery along with Rallying Call....waiting till I find out what is catagorized as health regen. What is catagorized as health regen? Does it only apply to HoTs?
    - Considered maybe swapping out Pally with Champ n getting 15% to str for added parry if I ever get enough str to boost my block n parry to makeup for the loss of the 20% block of the pally's freebie root ability.

This maybe a more of an ideal OT build considering the beduff abilities of the Reaver and Warlords group/raid buffs.
    Last edited by Ambros; 01-11-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arinas View Post
    I agree about the armor bonus, the only thing I'd consider about it is the fact that you are dumping around 20 points into the tree just to get there, points which could (I haven't checked, so not sure, but COULD) be placed into a more defensive type of soul (Void knight, for example, will give you +15% endurance without too much effort).

In general, one of the main things to worry about in high-end, and again, this is just a theory, is threat - so it might be very logical for us to take 2 defensive souls and one offensive. If that's the case, Beastmaster definitely has nice tanking options.
    In this spec there is a 30% threat from pally build and the taunt from warlord so I was hoping it would be good enough, I guess we wont know until we can test the max level stuff though. I thought it seemed a bit steep to spend 26 points in beastmastery but 30% extra armor and 10% reduction to npc damage (keep 2 bleeds up) + higher damage both pet and melle seemed to be more rewarding than endurance + more threat. There also is potential in this build to have plenty of aoe damage for either group or solo play. I am sure I have missed something but I still look forward to testing it.

+ Reply to Thread