+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warlock/Necro/??? Having trouble need help Please :P

Shadowlander

Default Warlock/Necro/??? Having trouble need help Please :P

Im playing a Warlock/Necro/Archon which doesnt seem like a bad build so far. But I feel my pets dieing more then he should be and my damage seems to be lacking as well. I put all my points into necro trying to boost my pets damage and my damage but feel im still lacking. Ive played a warlock and necro in other games and this one feels like my damage isnt where it should be. In past games i put a row of 4 dots on a mob it dies by the time it gets to me. Here i put a row of 4 dots on a mob and its hacking away at me and as my pets trying to beat it off me. Not sure if they just start out slow and get a boost when higher lvl or if maybe im doing something wrong. Im not looking for criticism just a little bit of friendly help on my 3rd spec or even my spec over all..
    Last edited by Zulance; 01-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Soulwalker

I also played Archon/Necro/Warlock, and I didn't have any problems with aggro. Once you get the Skeletal Stalward, you're good to go. I started playing as Pyro, so I don't know what it's like to be a low lvl Necro, but I've heard it starts out slow, but it gets way better. With soul purge you can easily heal your pet, so IMO soloing as Necro is easy.

As for your 3rd spec you should choose between Chloromancer or Dominator. If you choose Chloromancer it will be even easier to heal your pet, especially when soloing elites. Dominator is also good, as you get poly, and an instant dd from the start

Hope this helps

I got 27 lvl Warlock/Chloro/Necro build currently ,but now from my experience I'd suggest going elementalist rather then necro if You're not going to put any points in Necro soul tree anyway. Elementalists first pet has agro skills and is more tank like. Necro pet is almost pure DPS ,so when dot a mob You'll just reagro him on yourself.

This is just opinion, haven't tested it. :P

I too noticed a huge change when you get the Skeleton Stalward; the big difference between two is the two skills they get. The Stalward has a + Agro skill, while the bare bones skeleton has increased damage with - Agro.

I am really interested to see how the bare bones skeleton does once I spec Wither (speed reduction), should make kiting viable\possible.

Back on point though, I too found that soul purge made up for the majority of my damage. The DoTs all contribute both directly and indirectly (enhancing pet dmg), but with soul purge I could take on 3-5 mobs just below my level or 2-3 mobs at level. In Rift encounters I could solo the elites or just spread out some DoTs, AoE and then Soul Purge...I received Freemarch Emblems about 20% of the encounters. That said, it took a lot of experimenting until I got a comfortable rhythm.

I only played to 20 with a 90% Necro, 10% Warlock and 0% Dominator build.

Shadowlander

Yea I think Chloromancer or Dominator seems to be the way people are going. Archon was nice for the stam buff and the dot used to get it, but that extra healing seems to be more handy or that CC/DD spell. I think im going to lean more toward warlock/necro/chlor build for solo purposes but also love to pvp, but from reading the spells these seem to be stationary spells so need someone who has played this combination in pvp to see how it fairs. I see people going Dominator for the CC but as a lock I feel my fear will be good enough... Once beta is out again ill put all 3 back to the test. I got a late start so any input such as your is great to hear. I know in the end its all preference but someone who has played the different specs to the upper 20's would be handy
    Last edited by Zulance; 01-11-2011 at 01:45 PM.

its really good trust me i play mage too and rip up pvp
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Well i agree with op that in this game dots are not so powerfull i had situations where I put 3 or more dots and i don`t get what i expected - they to eat faster hp. So the only cool thing that Necro got is Soul purge .

Dmg seems mediocre and dots not so good .

Shadowlander

Really? that's odd... cause I went necro/warlock and I though i was pretty much ******. The trick I used was having the third be chloromancer like the other guy said (dominator is nice if you put points into it but you won't be using the squirrel ability much unless you're in a dungeon so it doesnt seem quite as good)

Chloromancer heals, yes, but what's so great about it is.... more DOTs, and DOTs that heal you similar to the warlocks one as well. I didn't get extremely far with him but by lvl 10 I was able to DOT an enemy and watch it die trying to kill be but failing to do so cause I was being healed by several of the DOTs along the way. Sure, the DOTs don't do enough to KILL but your pet + 1 or 2 necro bolts does the job nicely (not to mention one of the DOTs makes your pet more powerful, I forget the names though)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mortias View Post
    I got 27 lvl Warlock/Chloro/Necro build currently ,but now from my experience I'd suggest going elementalist rather then necro if You're not going to put any points in Necro soul tree anyway. Elementalists first pet has agro skills and is more tank like. Necro pet is almost pure DPS ,so when dot a mob You'll just reagro him on yourself.

This is just opinion, haven't tested it. :P

No, you are correct. I tried stone pet and its tank compared to the starter necro pet, which is DPS>

OP, if your pet is dying your doing something wrong.....my pet almost never died but then i rolled Chloro for spores.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulance View Post
    Im playing a Warlock/Necro/Archon which doesnt seem like a bad build so far. But I feel my pets dieing more then he should be and my damage seems to be lacking as well. I put all my points into necro trying to boost my pets damage and my damage but feel im still lacking. Ive played a warlock and necro in other games and this one feels like my damage isnt where it should be. In past games i put a row of 4 dots on a mob it dies by the time it gets to me. Here i put a row of 4 dots on a mob and its hacking away at me and as my pets trying to beat it off me. Not sure if they just start out slow and get a boost when higher lvl or if maybe im doing something wrong. Im not looking for criticism just a little bit of friendly help on my 3rd spec or even my spec over all..
    I dont know if you made this mistake or not, but I myself was a Warlock/Necro/Elementalist. While I was leveling up I was putting points into my soul tree's like normal and thought that was all I needed to do to level my skills. Little did I know that you need to go to a Mage trainer in order to increase the RANK of your skills. I did not realise this till level 15 :P When I found that out, I actually skipped 3 ranks on some skills and found a major increase to dps

Shadowlander

Looking at the chloro I can't find many dots. I see one dot that heals your allies, but not yourself, but it has a 1.5 second cast time and I am not sure if it is that great.

Definitely have to hit up those mage trainers but as for necro's and their DoT's, bare in mind that they not only do their normal damage but also enhance the abilities of your pet. To get the full potiential out of your necro involves setting up those dots and having the right pet for the job. Check out the pets abilities to see what enhances what, there's also necro abilities later in the tree that enhance the pets bonuses from dots even further. I was certainly noticing the difference as i got higher and mobs were dropping rapidly, Soul Purge of course being the iccing on the cake =D.

Soulwalker

This most recent beta I made a point of trying every 3rd option to my Warlock/Necromancer build. By far my two favorites are Chloromancer for excellent survivability and utility and Archon for that other instant dot. I also tried the caster pet which was cool. Unfortunately after running dungeons and and other such group situation I realized that I was lacking in certain departments.

First, DoT DPS is very low in general compared to burst DPS of any type. Also your lack of direct cc sucks. Now, the Warlock Fear is fun, but useless in dungeons unless you want to kill everyone. Adding Dominator made more much more group friendly in PvE group situation but felt like I was losing DPS when I was already behind the curve.

In PvP, the Necromancer as a primary point focus felt very weak at times. Most of my damage was easily out-healed by moderately competent healing opposition. There were times where they performed awesome though against moronic players.

Main source of annoyance, slow to generate channeled power considering that the channeled life drain is IMO, the primary go-to spell and self/pet heal. The life tap channeled ability is like bread and butter for casting. The DD does too little damage in comparison. Making it useless. Cycling the debuffs and dots on a player was enough for at least 50% of my channeled power to be full.

Also, pet damage needs to be increased slightly or dot damage increased. As a caster I can sit there with a pet beating on me and pretty much ignore it. Even with 5 stacks of rot on a target the pets seemed to do only slightly more damage. How about the ability to equip the pet with different weapon types. Would still make a caster choose what type of pet to use based on target.

Where the DoTs specs really shine is solo PvE. They are really good at soloing forever with out rest or death. Unfortunately for PvP I had to switch to Pyro/Archmage/Dominator to feel effective.
    Last edited by Ithkrul; 01-11-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithkrul View Post
    Where the DoTs specs really shine is solo PvE. They are really good at soloing forever with out rest or death. Unfortunately for PvP I had to switch to Pyro/Archmage/Dominator to feel effective.
    execly.

DoTs are good for PvE or mass PvP where You have time to think. In small scale PvP or even 1vs1 You simply dont have time to Dot all the time . Warlock / Necro build has like 4-5 dots that takes like 5s to cast all... in that time a good DPS class (Marksmen, Saboteur, offensive tanks) can easily kill You, while your still casting Dots. Even Fear wont help (breaks on dmg).

Heard some1 tested, that spaming Void/Plague gives same damage effects as putting all DoTs.

Shadowlander

Necro for me was usefull in pve but seemed lacking in pvp

As for aggro yeah i have to agree the first necro pet is definately not a tanking pet but the 2nd you get is alot better.

I rolled Necro/Warlock/Dominator but found Dom to be prety useless as i didnt do any grouping. I like the sound of Chloro as 3rd spec for the heals may have to ty it out next beta

I found with the correct ranking the DoTs were fine for Prolonged DPS so I imagine towards endgame Necro/ warlocks will definately have there uses for big boss fights where Pyros etc will do great burst damage but may run out of mana long before the necros & warlocks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast