+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker - Impressions

Default Riftstalker - Impressions

To those that played this as a main soul, what did you think? PVE/PVP? I wanted to give it a try but I got caught up in having fun. I lost my testing mentality. Even when i was standing right there at the trainer it was hard to commit to Riftstalker because the skill-tree just wasn't doing anything for me. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't a lot of fun though. In this game you really have no idea how a soul will play until you try it.

So to those that did try it, thoughts?

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...anger.10300500

This was the build I was working with. Did it work? Hell yes. Before I went into Beta 4 I was skeptical about the Riftstalker in PVP. Most of the posts I read on the forums generally stated that Riftstalkers were great PVE tanks, but lacking in the PVP realm. I found this to be mostly false.

During the 10-19 Warfront I was having some troubles, even at level 19. I simply couldn't keep up with a clerics healing, I couldn't out-damage a warrior, and rangers/marksmen were picking me off like crazy; and I just couldn't get away. I was about to give up. However once I hit 27, and after some fun rockin the assassin build in the Warfront, I gave it another go. I decided to incorporate the Ranger/Marksmen build to help out with the ranged combatants. To my surprise, I was picking people off left and right with my freaking gun. A quick shot crit would hit for 400+ and normal auto attacks were in that range as well. So while I took Ranger for the ranged snare (which is amazingly useful for bridging the melee gap), I found that I was doing loads of damage with my gun and building combo points before I even engaged my target. I understand that the Warfronts aren't about KBs/Damage, but if there was a time that I got out-damaged or had less KBs than another player, I had to find out who that person was.

The downside was, just like every other rogues bane, the cleric. I couldn't burst through an equal level, equal skill cleric. I'd engage, go through my rotation, and beat away. Cleric just stood there and chain healed. A Riftstalker has no stuns, no interrupts, nothing really. Not in my build at least. So trying to fight a cleric was out of the question. Warriors weren't really a problem. Most of them I could go head to head with, and if they proved a problem, I'd teleport away and start my kiting.

Summary: I didn't see many Riftstalkers in the Warfronts, hell I only saw one other and I think he was paired with a saboteur (which seems very deadly, considering the Saboteur OPness right now). But I can say that for those who are on the fence about Riftstalker PVP'n, give it a shot and don't give up. Es so much fun.

This is a copy/paste from my other post!
    Last edited by quizwhiz; 01-10-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    Quiz Whiz
    Conviction
    www.congaming.com

For PVE - I tanked. And I think I did just fine. My healers didn't have any complaints!
    Quiz Whiz
    Conviction
    www.congaming.com

Funny because I was looking into Riftstalker because I wanted to toughen up my Marksman in RvR Went Assassin for the stealth but really didn't have the teeth to do any meaningful damage up close

After being a bit disappointed with a few different rogue builds I switched to a Riftstalker and LOVED it.

I think I'll be playing a warrior until they up the DPS though.
    Last edited by Sepa; 01-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.

I love the riftstalker, at least for PvE purposes. It's one of the coolest class concepts I've seen in a long time. And they really perform, too! I went with a Riftstalker/Assassin/Interchangeable and I destory packs of mobs with ease. I love zipping around with my 500 blink skills slaying everything in my path, and being not-squishy while doing it.

Despite it saying defensive soul "on the box" it has a great offensive route to take in the tree, as well as an DPS stance, so it doesn't lack in the damage department at all, at least not around level 20.

Telaran

Riftstalkers captured my hearth since the first time I read of them!
    I love to plunder on the back of ranged or teleporting on the back of an enemy harrassing a friend.
    I played it as a main class with an assasin and a saboteur.
    Unlike quizwhiz I played as a full melee except when I was low in health or when i needed to root someone to escape or to reach him.
    Assassin is usefull to reach the terget first while stealthed.
    I hadn't had any problem in warfront (I played them since 18th).

Quote Originally Posted by quizwhiz View Post
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...anger.10300500

This was the build I was working with. Did it work? Hell yes. Before I went into Beta 4 I was skeptical about the Riftstalker in PVP. Most of the posts I read on the forums generally stated that Riftstalkers were great PVE tanks, but lacking in the PVP realm. I found this to be mostly false.

During the 10-19 Warfront I was having some troubles, even at level 19. I simply couldn't keep up with a clerics healing, I couldn't out-damage a warrior, and rangers/marksmen were picking me off like crazy; and I just couldn't get away. I was about to give up. However once I hit 27, and after some fun rockin the assassin build in the Warfront, I gave it another go. I decided to incorporate the Ranger/Marksmen build to help out with the ranged combatants. To my surprise, I was picking people off left and right with my freaking gun. A quick shot crit would hit for 400+ and normal auto attacks were in that range as well. So while I took Ranger for the ranged snare (which is amazingly useful for bridging the melee gap), I found that I was doing loads of damage with my gun and building combo points before I even engaged my target. I understand that the Warfronts aren't about KBs/Damage, but if there was a time that I got out-damaged or had less KBs than another player, I had to find out who that person was.

The downside was, just like every other rogues bane, the cleric. I couldn't burst through an equal level, equal skill cleric. I'd engage, go through my rotation, and beat away. Cleric just stood there and chain healed. A Riftstalker has no stuns, no interrupts, nothing really. Not in my build at least. So trying to fight a cleric was out of the question. Warriors weren't really a problem. Most of them I could go head to head with, and if they proved a problem, I'd teleport away and start my kiting.

Summary: I didn't see many Riftstalkers in the Warfronts, hell I only saw one other and I think he was paired with a saboteur (which seems very deadly, considering the Saboteur OPness right now). But I can say that for those who are on the fence about Riftstalker PVP'n, give it a shot and don't give up. Es so much fun.

This is a copy/paste from my other post!
    Which server did you play on?

Because my current build before beta ended was Riftstalker / nightblade / sabotuer. Combo is freakishly deadly IMO.

Damage is crazy, teleportation is SOO nice for catching people or getting away, and the stealth (and in-stealth fear) from Nightblade is amazing.
    (▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀۝Ξ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀) CHECK OUT MAH LIGHTSABAH!

Rift Disciple

I found the riftstalker to be a lot of fun. It really does perform as advertised BUT only after lvl 18 or so. Until then save yourself some pain and go with a different soul. The options for both a main tank riftstalker and a dps riftstalker really open up once you get to lvl 18 and beyond.

That isn't to say you can't level a pure riftstalker just that it will be more difficult and take longer than just going with a ranger, markman, or bard. The good news is by the time you are ready for the first dungeon the riftstalker has the tools to hold aggroe and survive. In pvp the riftstalker soul should add some much needed survivability to the other dps souls and if specced right boost the dps a bit at the same time.

I will certainly be playing a riftstalker when the game goes live. My secondary and tertiary souls will change depending on what I need but my main soul is going to be a riftstalker. The teleporting is so much fun that I don't really care about the rest. I may get owned in pvp but I will have a blast zipping around the battlefield.

Soulwalker

ok so basically i started my level 1 rogue at beta 4 and made it all the way to level 21 as using a pure riftstalker. i dont know how good that is leveling wise but thats just something to prove my credibility at the game whilst at the same time giving you a good idea of how they level up in pve. So basically my thoughts go as follows. A riftstalker is like a tank that jumps into the middle of the fight and then runs around either tanking a lot of damage, or doing lots of low damage crits depending on the stance. its a fun class in pvp because although they dont have any stuns, they have the ability to teleport around stopping any sort of roots or holds from being cast on you. now the problems your going to have in pvp are most definitely the pesky clerics that can easily outheal you if you dont have a stun, and secondly those annoying bard marksmen 1. because they can heal themself JUST like a cleric and 2. because they just have to send their pet after you and the idea of teleporting away seems almost pointless. all in all if you want to pvp for fun go as a riftstalker if not then id suggest an assassin as they have the stunning and damage capabilities to kill almost anyone if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yewcantcme View Post
    Which server did you play on?

Because my current build before beta ended was Riftstalker / nightblade / sabotuer. Combo is freakishly deadly IMO.

Damage is crazy, teleportation is SOO nice for catching people or getting away, and the stealth (and in-stealth fear) from Nightblade is amazing.

I was on Briarcliffe. I rarely saw another pure Riftstalker. Was mostly assassins/bards with 0 Points into Rift for the teleport.
    Quiz Whiz
    Conviction
    www.congaming.com

I started out as a Ranger, and took Riftstalker as my second soul. Primarily, I wanted the teleport buff and the shield finisher to add to my Ranger for close combat.

by the End of Beta I was a 19 Rift 5 Ranger 0 Sab (pts may be off a bit) I was level 19

I was doing a ton of damage with my bow, and when mobs got on me close, they couldnt touch me, and was tanking +2 level mobs in Major Rifts easily.

As for PVP, I didnt do more then about 5 warfronts all weekend, cause I had to start from level 1, but Ii was doing a ton of damage and was very hard to kill 1v1, and the only time I would lose was vs a cleric. Like someone mentioned earlier, if a warrior was ahead of me I would blink away and blast with my bow. I stacked Dex and Endurance, and took the +health type pts as well, and my survival was great

I will be going Rift/Sab and either Marks or Ranger for my rogue. I didnt like any of the traditional rogue type classes (nightblade, assassin, bladedancer)
    Greke- Sab/NB/Infl and RS/BD/Bard
    Magus Imperialis Magicus- Briarcliffe Server- PVP

This is the build I'll most likely run with:

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...0:bard.1305000

It's just got really nice survivability to it, I think, for a tank that doesn't really raise armor as much as HP and Dex. I do admit I was thinking of stopping at the RS 38-point ability, because it's pretty badass in its own right, but one more "Press to not die" button is always nice.
    If I had a dollar for every time I heard that I'd be making money in a very strange way.

i thought they were very fun too
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Soulwalker

I like the rift stalker. The teleport thing works well with stealth then back stab from the shadows. Very nice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast