+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player seeks general class advice

Prophet of Telara

Default New Player seeks general class advice

So I recently discovered Rift and was trying to figure out what sort of class might appeal to me.

I wanted to play a melee class that could out put some pretty decent damage, self-heal/buff, and ideally had a pet. The combo that seemed to epitomize this best was Cleric/Shaman/Justicar/Druid.

I wasn't sure whether or not Courage of the Jaguar, Summon: Faerie, and Cavalier stacked with each other. This seems like I could benefit from three times the spell stats to boost my melee stats, are those buffs actually cumulative? Would that combination be practical? Gaining triple spell stats, 15% increased damage (Dauntless Courage and Hammer of Virtue), 10% crit chance (Spirit of the Hunter and Unyielding), plus what looked like some other solid passives.

And now a string of questions for people who have actually played!
    Assuming they did stack, how would this cleric's build actually compare DPS wise to the other classes/combos?
    What are the most popular combinations?
    What are common cleric builds? What are their roles?
    How instance or group based is the game? How many people can party together?
    I'm assuming the level cap is 66? How long does it take to level? Can you reset skill points?
    Do the basic classes actually have any skills or abilities or are they all defined by the sub types?

Really just trying to figure out what sort of game Rift is, what it plays like, how fast it is, etc. General opinions about the game would also be appreciated.

I don't think the stat conversions stack, but the secondary effects do (the Dexterity bonus from Courage of Jaguar and Convictions from Cavalier).

But I don't think you would get triple the attack power boosts.

Prophet of Telara

Can you reset skill points in the game easily or is it hard?

Telaran

Something I can actually be of help on!

Having played pretty much every Cleric combo I could get my hands on to help decide which three I want to initially start on Ill do my best to answer a few of your questions.

Assuming they did stack, how would this cleric's build actually compare DPS wise to the other classes/combos?

You have to decide which damage type you want to be doing, melee or ranged/magic. Both the ranged and the melee cleric builds do well dps but I found the Shaman/Justi combo + insert choice here did extremely well with points split between the two evenly (0 in the 3rd) Granted this makes you a non healing cleric save for some reacts from the Justi and some self heals. at level 21 the Justicar put out some decent healing but not a chance in heck could I main heal a group in an instance until I swapted to a heal soul(s) i.e. Sentinel and Warden. As secondary and back up thought they shined, my opinion of the Justicar is they are great at backline protection as in being the healers interceptor and healer heh.

What are the most popular combinations?

To subjective to answer but for dps clerics I saw a lot of Druid/Cab/Inquisitor builds and healing alot of Justi/Sent/Wardens or the PURE healer Sent/Ward/Purifier.

What are common cleric builds? What are their roles?

Some that I played around with:

Main tank healer - Purifier/Sentinel/anything
    Support Healer - Warden/Sentinel/anything
    PvP healer - Sentinel/Justicar/anything
    Melee interceptor/healer - Justicar/Shaman/anything
    CC healer - Purifier/Inquisitor/anything

How instance or group based is the game? How many people can party together?

Heavily group based, easy to solo in but all the GOOD stuff seems group oriented i.e. Events, Rifts, Invasions, PvP, Warfronts, Instances, Raids etc

I'm assuming the level cap is66? How long does it take to level? Can you reset skill point
    Do the basic classes actually have any skills or abilities or are they all defined by the sub types?

The level cap is 50 (66 points are how many skill allocation points we are given as of beta 4) You can reset skill points though come live it may be a bit more involved/costly to do so then in beta which is free. The base class in an arch type has 2 free starter skills that require no points spent.

All in all after much testing I will be primarily focusing on a Justicar/Sentinel/Purifier build at launch...this was a tough choice but in the end we really do get to play with every possible archtyle combo so this is where Ill be starting as main tank healer has always been my thing in MMOs.

Hope this helps mate!

I wanted to chime in here with my two copper.

Ok so, youre interested in playing a melee, self heal/buffing character with a pet. As you posted Phage you were looking at a Cleric build and severl other posters already spoke about them. I'm going to talk about a Rogue build. I know, possibly not what you want, but hear me out.

The Soul build I'd suggest is Blade Dancer/Bard/Ranger. Blade Dancer is pure melee. The Bard is a very diverse Soul that, among other things, can buff and heal. The Ranger soul would provide the pet. Point allocation would be personal prefernce depending upon what you want to focus on.

One thing to note is that melee based rogue's have an issue with energy usage/regen. That being that the current energy regen stops for a second everytime you use a skill, meaning that to regen to 100% you have to stop using skills. BUT there are two important things regarding Rogue energy regen:

1) Energy regenerates really fast when you dont use any skills.
    2) As a Blade Dancer you can get the talent Combat Efficiency. It gives all of your melee attacks a 50% chance to generate 3 energy. Being a fast attacking duel wielder, that stacks up fast.

Hope this gave you some interesting ideas.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that the melee focused Cleric buffs talked about earlier in the thread do NOT stack.
    Last edited by Dexin; 01-10-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Can clerics duel wield weapons or how does skill and proficiency with specific weapons work per class?

Plane Walker

Oh so many questions to answer.
    Alrighty. So beta cap has been raised to lvl 27, the final cap will be 50. I leveled to 20 in about 10 hours approximately but that included a lot of PvP which in comparison to rifts and questing, is lackluster in the xp category.

As for the suggestion that you play a melee rogue, I would be cautious. There is already a 16 page or so long thread in here explaining why melee rogues are currently gimped, especially in pvp, but in general as well. Given I'm a PvP player, most of my advice is weighted towards that, but I can say that on my level 21 shammy/druid/just I would be able to solo level 27 melee rogues even when they got the jump on me. Anything lower level than 27 I could just laugh off of me. Burst is horrendous compared to other classes and they have no durability. But back to clerics. No, the effects of those cleric buffs do not stack, only unique effects of each buff stack, but the stat conversion stuff is one time only. The callings do not have starter skills no, but as triton explained, the souls do.

Now for suggestions. I can't speak to what were popular builds as I don't really care what others do as my build will be what I think is best, not the flavor of the month. However, I did run this combo you're suggesting and I found it extremely good. When pugging warfronts in the 10-19 range, starting at about level 15, I came in Top 5 damage dealt and Top 3 damage taken everytime and almost always was top in both. When moving up to the higher range I did much worse as the highest I went with my cleric was 21, but since most people in that range were lvl 27 and had most of the later gear I'm not too upset about that. So yes their dps is comparable, though I'm not sure if burst dps is what you should aim for. I also had a champ/rift warrior and I can say with certainty that the burst damage was much much better and the dps as a whole was most likely higher as well. However, my shammy/druid was far more durable and I could throw her into all sorts of sticky situations and count on steady, constant damage being done while staying in the green. The biggest asset of this build is the vengeance spell and glacial shield. It adds a great deal of damage to be done at a steady rate and glacial shield keeps you from taking damage. Early on you might struggle since you will have nigh on 0 heals, but as the soul progresses you get more options.

As for cleric builds, personally I've broken it down into 3 types/builds of clerics. There is the smiting cleric which is ranged dps with primarily being cabalist, inquisitor and a tertiary soul being something like purifier, warden or sentinel. Then there is the healing cleric which seems to be warden or sentinel as being the best from what i've seen. Finally there is melee dps cleric which is shammy, druid, justicar and maybe some other stuff, but i really think that's the best 3. Some would argue that clerics can tank but I find this silly as the mitigation and aggro holding will never be good enough imo. Tanking souls that shine imo are riftstalker and paladin. Funny that a rogue is the best tank in the game.

The game can be played solo, but I found myself in a great deal of impromptu groups. Warfronts, like scenarios in WAR, were much easier if played with a premade that knew what they were doing. PvP is in general well paced but as said, there are a few balance issues but for the number of classes, honestly it's in pretty good state of balance at the moment as long as they smooth out the rough patches before launch.

My suggestion for what you're interested in would be what you were already thinking about, or maybe a 2hander using pvp tank using paladin reaver and vindicator, the pvp soul for warriors. It might have less dps than what you're looking for, but it would be hard as nails while still being able to pack a punch, probably just under what a shammy would put out, though this is theory as this kind of build would only really work at level cap and a couple ranks of pvp prestige (nobodies sure about this prestige system yet, but basically what is known is that as you level it, more skills in your pvp soul become available and higher lvl pvp gear is available for purchase, but how to rank up is unknown at the moment)

I don't think clerics can dual wield swords and axes no. I think they get staffs, hammers, maces, shields and focuses, maybe swords and stuff too, but not dual i don't think
    Last edited by Gorth; 01-11-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Shadowlander

In response and addition to Dexin's post on Rogues...

First of all, the energy thing is being worked out because they know its a bit unfair, so hopefully that'll be better in the future. Also, it seems that melee Rogues are kinda weak in output, but ranged seem to do fine.

Bladedancer/Bard/Ranger: A bit of an odd combo, but that's cause I don't like mixing ranged and melee. Decide what you want to focus on and try to stick with it, meaning will you be mostly melee with the added pet or ranged with the added incredibly dodge/etc? Also, Bard isn't much for solo heals... mostly cause all their heals are group heals and unless you plan to use Cadence (their main ability) over what I would think are better starting abilities in the other two souls then you have to put quite a few points in Bard in order to actually get to healing skills (all of which are group heals, which means weaker per person)

Currently, the best DPS output I believe is marksman, but ranger might have more with the pet bonus (saboteur is rather unique so its hard to tell how much they're doing but I personally like them) But as far as in combat survivability goes, Riftstalker, the Rogue "Tank" soul, has the best. Riftstalker also does have a heal most seem not to notice, but it's more indirect. You can put points into them so that when an enemy dies with leftover combo points on them you get healed 6% of max hp per point, meaning 30% total (5 points), which is fantastic and not hard to do. They also increase healing taken by 30%, improving a bard's healing capacity.

So if you're interested in Rogue, consider this... Riftstalker/Bard/(Melee or ranged)
    Put enough in stalker and bard to get the healing and other nice bonuses, like to attack/etc, and then go for your preferred class putting all the rest of your points into that one. Bladedancer/assassin if you want melee and ranger/marksman if you want ranged. Nightblade is kind of the magic mix (mostly melee) and also Nightblade and assassin can stealth.
    Last edited by Zelosh; 01-11-2011 at 07:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread