+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polearms

Default Polearms

This image from Gamescon is awesome displaying some well designed polearms.

I am an extreme fan of polearms and specific combat to use them. What classes in Rift will be using them? Anything in the Warrior tree I assume?

That screen shot is flawless, look at it!!

Polearms are sick, and the skills with them.

I would assume the warrior archetype, aswell

Im hoping poles/staves are melee type weapons, I am assuming Warrior achetypes and maybe some rogue, or cleric
    Greke- Sab/NB/Infl and RS/BD/Bard
    Magus Imperialis Magicus- Briarcliffe Server- PVP

I agree, I'm a big fan of pole-arms. I hope they make various styles, especially some voulge/bardiche pole-arms.

As for classes, I've never seen anything beside the warrior classes use pole-axes in MMOs (that I can remember) - I would say Paladin will probably be able to use them. I would be all for some unique-ness though, Conan's Herald of Xotli proved that mages can use big weapons!

edit: I also hope they add some unique attack animations for different weapon types (different topic, I know). Nothing more aggravating than seeing someone wielding a pole-arm like a one-handed sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I agree, I'm a big fan of pole-arms. I hope they make various styles, especially some voulge/bardiche pole-arms.

As for classes, I've never seen anything beside the warrior classes use pole-axes in MMOs (that I can remember) - I would say Paladin will probably be able to use them. I would be all for some unique-ness though, Conan's Herald of Xotli proved that mages can use big weapons!

edit: I also hope they add some unique attack animations for different weapon types (different topic, I know). Nothing more aggravating than seeing someone wielding a pole-arm like a one-handed sword.
    Exactly! If a game is going to use them, do it right, do it unique or dont do it at all. How coold would it be to see a warrior plant a bardiche in the ground and kick the livin crap out of a mob, the pull it out of the ground and slam it into the chest of a mob laying on the ground.

Damn Knive got me thinking about unique animations for polearms.

SWG had some decent animations

SWG Polearm

Polearms would be cool.....Very few games give much thought to the idea of something other than a big axe or sword.

Would love to see Rift incorporate a bunch of 2 hand weapons effectively, far to many are afraid to give 2 hand weapons the damage and stats that are needed to compare to dual wielding.

That image is great, I've always liked polearm weapons, just always seemed to be of limited supply in games. The one game I can
    think of that made good use of polearms was Lineage 2, the warriors iirc had lines of spells for polearms that did aoe stuff. Something
    in the callings that used polearms to that effect would be good. Again really good looking image!!

Shadowlander

I have always felt that polearms have been under-utilized in MMO's. They have the potential for such graceful and fluid animations, and I really hope to see Rift delivering in this department.

I like polearms as well as long as the combat animations are done well that it doesn't look awkward.

When I saw the female character on the left, and her armour, the thought of Valkyrie crossed my mind and I got excited. But then I noticed the male wearing identical gear, so my idea of Valkyrie being another warrior build vanished.

The problem with polearms is that they cover several different weapons that were absolutely not used the same way on the battlefield. As a result, animations that look good for some of them (glaive, bardiche) look atrocious on others (pike).

Additionally, some were used specifically in mass formations, of which there is only a very limited supply in MMORPGs

I'd rather have them group some pole arms in the "pole axes" subgroup (halberds, fauchards, and so on), and group others in the "long spear" subgroup. each subgroup would then have a specific set of animations associated with it.

But please, pretty please, avoid the LotRO-style animations, where you get the impression that all weapons, be they axes, spears, clubs, swords or whatever, are used the same way and with the same moves ! It simply looks abysmally ridiculous. Animations should be specific to each weapon subtype.

I swore to polearms on my hunter in WoW - nice, slow, LETHAL weapon. The problem I tended to have with them however was that, as was often the case, the more "leet" the weapon the more gaudy it looked. Finding something that didn't look like it was held together with vines, wasn't twice my size and glowing with some sort of eyeball or skull on it was difficult! I managed to do it but only just.

I do see these as being a warrior thing, and it would be cool if a beastmaster could wield as well.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    The problem with polearms is that they cover several different weapons that were absolutely not used the same way on the battlefield. As a result, animations that look good for some of them (glaive, bardiche) look atrocious on others (pike).

Additionally, some were used specifically in mass formations, of which there is only a very limited supply in MMORPGs

I'd rather have them group some pole arms in the "pole axes" subgroup (halberds, fauchards, and so on), and group others in the "long spear" subgroup. each subgroup would then have a specific set of animations associated with it.
    I just want them to look cool with eye-popping animations, not really fussed if ancient Hoplites would approve.

I enjoy anything that has a long reach, however I prefer Halbers over Polearms.. Well they are pretty much the same, but still.. Anyway if Polearm has made it into the game, I am hoping that Scythes made it in as well!!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast