+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do mages seem bland?

Default Do mages seem bland?

Am I the only one who thinks mages are bland???
    If u agree please comment.
    If u disagree please tell me what I'm doing wrong and tell me why u find it fun so I can try it from ur perspective and enjoy mages more, because I love being a caster!

In what way? I personally like their casting animations, although I can agree on their spells being some-what 'stale'.

Ya I have to agree that the classes animations are very nice. The skill set might seem a little slower paced if you compare it to that of an assassin or marksman but that's just gameplay. I did a nice mixture of Stormcaller and Warlock (With Ele of course) and I've really enjoyed the mage I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by SHadowingDeatH View Post
    In what way? I personally like their casting animations, although I can agree on their spells being some-what 'stale'.
    Yeah that's mainly my focus, I feel they could spice it up or maybe even add more interesting spells. I feel the charge bar isn't all that exciting and a different gimmick is necessary to keep it exciting, like how rogues have combo points and warriors have attack points, I think mages should have something similar besides Charge.

Soulwalker

Well I went deep Necro, fairly deep in Warlock and just grazed Dominator. The charge acvts like a mana battery with that build using soul siphon after you life tap, or just saves you in general if your pulling aggro and trying to tap tank haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus1024 View Post
    Yeah that's mainly my focus, I feel they could spice it up or maybe even add more interesting spells. I feel the charge bar isn't all that exciting and a different gimmick is necessary to keep it exciting, like how rogues have combo points and warriors have attack points, I think mages should have something similar besides Charge.
    I still don't see the point in our Charge lol... They need to replace or add something to that ability to make itself more aware to the player early in the game.
    I think the main problem is the colour scheme personally, either that or just the particles for some of them. You should be able to clearly point out what spell the mage jsut casted early in the game when you're facing one, or even yourself at times when playing one... For example to me the Leech Life Dark Touch and maybe even that Void Bolt look too much a like and it's hard to really appreciate the difference between each skill visually.

Soulwalker

I don't think they are bland, they are just the most unchanged class when compared to other games.

Quote Originally Posted by SHadowingDeatH View Post
    I still don't see the point in our Charge lol... They need to replace or add something to that ability to make itself more aware to the player early in the game.
    I think a mage's "Special Bar" I.E. attack points or combo points or charge, should be based on your souls, so if you are pyromancer it could be a "temperature bar", it would increase your fire dmg the more fire spells u cast, increasing your temperature, but of course u can't always just cast fire spells, so your temperature goes down. Or if you go deep into necromancer or warlock it would be a "Fear Factor (yes thats a troll)" and the more pain you inflict the more vulnerable your opponent becomes to it. Does that sound nice?

Quote Originally Posted by Vosk View Post
    I don't think they are bland, they are just the most unchanged class when compared to other games.
    That's what makes it bland IMO.

Soulwalker

Default stacking damage

After this last beta I do feel that the mage class is a bit of "any spell will do". Meaning I didn't really find that any spell was better to use over any other. I'd like to see some spells that stack. Eg. If you drown someone with water, and then hit them with a bolt of lighting, they will get a little extra sizzle in the pan. I know there is some ability to do this, and since I only made it to level 14 there may be more instock.

But i'd like some more tact to choosing my spells, not just simply using the tree to power up one element and spam it, but using combination's of spells to create desired effects. E.g. water then earth can cause some type of mud reaction which = slow or fire then ice causing an armour decrease; e.g. putting a hot glass in cold water causes it to crack or shatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus1024 View Post
    I think a mage's "Special Bar" I.E. attack points or combo points or charge, should be based on your souls, so if you are pyromancer it could be a "temperature bar", it would increase your fire dmg the more fire spells u cast, increasing your temperature, but of course u can't always just cast fire spells, so your temperature goes down. Or if you go deep into necromancer or warlock it would be a "Fear Factor (yes thats a troll)" and the more pain you inflict the more vulnerable your opponent becomes to it. Does that sound nice?
    Better then having a mysterious blue bar clicking up and down :P I think they should some-what combine spells with your main soul... for example, if you're necro and your second soul is pyro. You summon your horror and maybe set it aflame. bam. Flaming Walking Horror coming your way... but that's too complicated lol

Quote Originally Posted by thebrain View Post
    After this last beta I do feel that the mage class is a bit of "any spell will do". Meaning I didn't really find that any spell was better to use over any other. I'd like to see some spells that stack. Eg. If you drown someone with water, and then hit them with a bolt of lighting, they will get a little extra sizzle in the pan. I know there is some ability to do this, and since I only made it to level 14 there may be more instock.

But i'd like some more tact to choosing my spells, not just simply using the tree to power up one element and spam it, but using combination's of spells to create desired effects. E.g. water then earth can cause some type of mud reaction which = slow or fire then ice causing an armour decrease; e.g. putting a hot glass in cold water causes it to crack or shatter.
    That sounds amazing!!! Using Synergy and Physics to increase your damage! I love it!!!!!!! It would be hard to blend that idea into the more death-dealing classes but it sounds very amazing and possible! I think maybe ice+death would be a great combo.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vosk View Post
    I think pretty much all classes feel this way, aside from Cleric.

If you drown someone with water, and then hit them with a bolt of lighting, they will get a little extra sizzle in the pan.
    Keep on dreaming.
    Last edited by Shinimas; 01-10-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Default yes a bit Bland

If you check out Stormcaller, they do have synergy with Water Dmg with AIr Dmg. Check out "Lightning Conductance" and "Inductance"..

but you're right mage class are mostly bland. I normally play Mage classes and each of the mage class is same old same old. I think Cabalist ..the Cleric Mage is much more interesting. Choloromancer is probably the most interesting...

Saboteur, Riftstalker are ,more interesting class.

I'm waiting for a mental type (No..not Dominator) that does something like Allod's, Illusions, Charms, Gravity aoe Pull (WAR type or what Cabalist have). Mage that Tank? No Morphing class?.. I say the multi Pet spell like in DAOC where you send a pet to a target and disappear until pet die or target die. That kind of interesting stuffs.

Currently Mage class are very Boring DPS class. at least Warlock got some CC....

-Arkus

Personally, Rift is the first MMO I've played that Mages have been attractive enough for me to play.

One of the main reasons is the insane number of ways one can be built and the other the pets that several of the Souls have.

While it is true, I have a particular Warrior build I really like and I've always been a Rogue player, I actually plan on having 2 Mages in the future.
    Exploring Uncertainty, my blog
    Samuel Guss Photography, my photography business
    MMO Resume: WoW, Eve Online, Warhammer, Conan, STO, LotR, Vanguard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast