+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clerics - Only good for healing?

Soulwalker

Default Clerics - Only good for healing?

I was planing on making an alt, but I'm still deciding on the calling. So far I have an okay idea of what Mages and Warriors can do, but I seem to have a bad/wrong idea of what clerics are capable of. For instance, I think clerics are only good for healing. Their DPS, be it ranged or melee, seems bad combared to all other callings, as tanks they fall behind both warriors and rogues.

I love the fact that clerics can fill all 4 roles in dungeons/raids, but what's the point if other classes are much better at the same role? I have a feeling that if I roll a cleric I'll end up as a full time healer only being able to play something else outside of groups.

Can some experianced cleric players please give me an idea of what clerics are truly capable of? Can I play a cleric DPS and tank in dungeons/raids and still do well?

Telaran

No.

You are only good at healing.

You are mediocre at DPS. Warriors are much better.

You are below mediocre at tanking. Warriors are much better.

You dont have a support role. You dont buff, you are simply an aoe healer. Mages/Rogues are support (and you only need 1 of them, thats all they are good for, Warriors beat them at DPS and Tanking).

This applies to PVP as well. Warriors are much better.

So if you are rolling an alt. Roll a warrior. Your raid/dungeon group will thank you.
    Last edited by onihero; 08-20-2011 at 07:48 AM.

I've mage healed some cleric tanks, and, with a good build, cleric tanks can take loads of damage.

Soulwalker

Yes Clerics can for sure tank and dps dungeons and Raids...Support is a interesting question, depends on what you consider support. Clerics can make a great AoE group and raid healer but does not bring much other utility.

Cleric's > Rogue tanks in the most recent raid.

Cleric's > Mages in healing currently

Cleric's are....very gear dependent on dps.

Their support, the duracell/AoE healing build is....omg so fun. I like not dying while tanking and having a DURACELL heal me.
    Last edited by Cromagis; 08-20-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Quote Originally Posted by onihero View Post
    No.

You are only good at healing.

You are mediocre at DPS. Warriors are much better.

You are below mediocre at tanking. Warriors are much better.

You dont have a support role. You dont buff, you are simply an aoe healer. Mages/Rogues are support (and you only need 1 of them, thats all they are good for, Warriors beat them at DPS and Tanking).

This applies to PVP as well. Warriors are much better.

So if you are rolling an alt. Roll a warrior. Your raid/dungeon group will thank you.
    LOL, lemme guess, you're one of those "clerics should only heal" types, am I right? Come to think of it, maybe you're the guy that kept bugging me to heal yesterday in WFs :

Basically for every 20 man that play the game you need 1 bard, 1 archon and maybe two clerics. If the rest of the group are not warriors they are inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    Basically for every 20 man that play the game you need 1 bard, 1 archon and maybe two clerics. If the rest of the group are not warriors they are inefficient.
    Cause they do So well at ranged aoe ...

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Belpheghor View Post
    LOL, lemme guess, you're one of those "clerics should only heal" types, am I right? Come to think of it, maybe you're the guy that kept bugging me to heal yesterday in WFs :
    Actually, Im a healer for my guild for raids. And primarily heal in PVP.

Our DPS is what? Approximately 30% less than a warrior? 40%?

We do not have even remotely close to the tanking ability of a warrior.

We have no support abilities.

So where does that leave us? Healing. If we are filling in any other role, we are holding our group/raid back unless we far outgear the other players.

If you think otherwise, you are kidding yourselves.
    Last edited by onihero; 08-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onihero View Post
    Actually, Im a healer for my guild for raids. And primarily heal in PVP.

Our DPS is what? Approximately 30% less than a warrior? 40%?

We do not have even remotely close to the tanking ability of a warrior.

We have no support abilities.

So where does that leave us? Healing. If we are filling in any other role, we are holding our group/raid back unless we far outgear the other players.

If you think otherwise, you are kidding yourselves.
    The Justicar can tank perfectly well and I know warriors tanks who are much harder to keep alive with similar gear levels than the Justicar i heal.

As for the dps, I wont comment really I am not specced for dps but in entirely not geared for dps I can still pull over 1K happily so with gear I havent a clue.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Soulwalker

ITT : People that complain when I don't heal in a WF

Cleric tanks function fine, and have had great experiences with them in raiding. I personally love shaman dps, especially when I am atop the parse over all the warriors that think cleric dps is bad. Cleric hybrids are the best bang for your buck(aside from a bard) out of any soul combination in the game with the DPS and healing the provide, and Doctrine of Loyalty can't be beat.

Cleric tanks provide a good amount of healing for you're raid also.

Conclusion : Clerics are good at everything, you're just doing it wrong and/or want me to only heal.

With the recent buff to Cleric aggro to bring us in line with the other tanking souls, Clerics are MORE than capable of tanking. Cleric is the best tank for melee oriented fights, Rogue is the best for caster oriented fights, and Warriors are a happy balance of the two, with better survivability CDs, and greater diversity. As far as DPS goes, I'm personally not a fan. I always enjoy running as DPS, as it's a nice change from tanking and healing, but I can't seem to find a decent build to max out my single target DPS. I failed hard at Deep Druid, I can only pull ~800 - 900 DPS in 5 mans in my Inquisiturret spec, and Duracell/Battle Pope does even less than that, though I do usually end up with ~600 HPS in Duracell.

Quote Originally Posted by Atropus View Post
    With the recent buff to Cleric aggro to bring us in line with the other tanking souls, Clerics are MORE than capable of tanking. Cleric is the best tank for melee oriented fights, Rogue is the best for caster oriented fights, and Warriors are a happy balance of the two, with better survivability CDs, and greater diversity. As far as DPS goes, I'm personally not a fan. I always enjoy running as DPS, as it's a nice change from tanking and healing, but I can't seem to find a decent build to max out my single target DPS. I failed hard at Deep Druid, I can only pull ~800 - 900 DPS in 5 mans in my Inquisiturret spec, and Duracell/Battle Pope does even less than that, though I do usually end up with ~600 HPS in Duracell.

None geared for dps I find my best dps spec is full Shaman.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Plane Touched

Well tbh in warfronts clerics can easily double/triple dps of every other player in Cabalist even after nerf.

In raids druid or shaman builds are usually right near the top dps on bosses, easily beating rogues and mages.

Tanking clerics if geared also do very well and can also heal themselves and the group at the same time which is often helpful.

However, and it is a big however, their healing is easily the best in both warfronts and raids so unless this is already covered then clerics should always heal. It is a shame because I love playing all the different roles, but unless you are selfish, you will generally have to heal for the majority of the time.

The thing with Cleric damage in WFs as Cabalist is, Cabalist is easily countered by an AE heal from Chloro, Cleric, or even a Bards Cadence. Sure, AE and top the damage charts, those are some impressive 3 and 4 KBs per WF. As far as healing goes, whenever you start to cast a heal, you instantly get a nice pretty cranial adornment, and suddenly all your heals are going to you as opposed to the Roid Rage Warrior jumping in 1v10, then screaming about how people need to "OMFGL2PLAY ****BAD HEALER SCUM!" so you need to find a more... subtle way of healing. Warden was really good at being subtle while healing, as was Justicar, but now both of those specs are hit pretty hard with the nerf. The 5-10% as most people seem to think adds up fast with Warriors auto Lingering Wounds on everything within a five mile radius and the occasional Anathema from the one Rogue who wants to be a bigger ****bag than normal. Luckily, all of the healing debuffs aren't additive, because I'm sure no one would heal with a constant 85 - 95% debuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast